Shopping Discussion

Receiving shipments via DHL vs Canadapost (duties/customs)?

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2018 8:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1629 posts
1214 upvotes

Receiving shipments via DHL vs Canadapost (duties/customs)?

Hey guys, there's a jacket I want to purchase online and the store (asos) offers shipping both thru canadapost and DHL.

From what I gather, DHL will charge a brokerage/bond service charge (around $10-$13 I think), HST sales tax (13%) and duty (I think 18%).

If I choose Canadapost which will obviously take longer but cheaper to ship, will I only be charged the service fee (approx $10) and HST 13% sales tax? Or will I ALSO be charged duty through canadapost as well?

I haven't purchased many expensive things lately so I can't recall if duty has ever been charged when items come thru canadapost. Does anyone have any recent experience and know for sure?
Always hungry ;)
11 replies
Jul 6, 2017
138 posts
86 upvotes
Taxes and duties are set by the government and are the same regardless of shipping method. The only difference is the brokerage fee.

However, if you get it by Canada Post there's a chance you won't be charged taxes, duty, or brokerage at all. Only a chance though.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7638 posts
1402 upvotes
DHL fee is up to 19.99 now if I remember correctly from the last shipment
May 10, 2017
340 posts
57 upvotes
I would go with lesser evil.
DHL is legalized petty racketeers* and CPC is goofy idiots. DHL is more tax/brokerage fees and CPC is lottery with taxes and delivery time (you may get your winter jacket at the end of February or March next year).

*Though DHL is very modest compare to UPS and Fedex.
Apr 13, 2010
517 posts
233 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
It depends on the value declared on the package. If they declare the value at less than CA$20, then it doesn't matter. Either way, you won't get charged.

If it's higher, DHL will always charge you taxes and maybe duty if it applies and then a processing fee of 2.5% (with a $10.50 minimum) + $4.25 transaction fee. So usually $14.75.

Canada Post is a lottery. Sometimes you get hit with taxes/duty, other times not. If it's under $100, usually not.

You can use this page to see what your taxes and duty will be: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyag ... l-eng.html

DHL details here (page 13): http://international.dhl.ca/content/dam ... _ca_en.pdf
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2691 upvotes
ON
Also confirm if it's DHL or DHL Global Mail
The latter is basically canada post, the former is full courier (and higher fees to match).
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2992 posts
929 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
nintendo wrote: Hey guys, there's a jacket I want to purchase online and the store (asos) offers shipping both thru canadapost and DHL.

From what I gather, DHL will charge a brokerage/bond service charge (around $10-$13 I think), HST sales tax (13%) and duty (I think 18%).

If I choose Canadapost which will obviously take longer but cheaper to ship, will I only be charged the service fee (approx $10) and HST 13% sales tax? Or will I ALSO be charged duty through canadapost as well?

I haven't purchased many expensive things lately so I can't recall if duty has ever been charged when items come thru canadapost. Does anyone have any recent experience and know for sure?
If Canada Post charge their brokerage fee it will be for providing the brokerage service which includes correctly assessing and collecting the import duty.
May 24, 2018
1 posts
My experience with both looks like that -I ordered many times some items from China and Europe and DHL is expensive ...Canada Post the best.
For example last time with DHL - package was worth 60 $ i paid 35.56 $ for delivery and after that DHl charged me another 36,07 ( GST, Duty, Their Processing fee and transaction fee ) so over 70$ bucks for package worth 60 $ - My mistake so I paid, but will not use them again.
Canada post every time package worth over 20 $ and package from family worth more that 60 $ (44,65 $ / 22,49 / 239 $........ no charge ) no duty.

But this is true - with Canada Post it's kind of a lottery. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Apr 13, 2010
517 posts
233 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
aqnd wrote: Also confirm if it's DHL or DHL Global Mail
The latter is basically canada post, the former is full courier (and higher fees to match).
This is a good point. DHL has a ton of different divisions. A bunch of companies they bought and slapped the DHL brand on.

DHL Express is the courier - the one that can ship stuff across the world overnight and rolls the DHL trucks to your door.

DHL Global Forwarding only does the long part of the transport, getting it to your country (by plane, train, trucks, etc.) but the actual delivery can be done by anyone.

More info
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Banned
May 24, 2018
2 posts
6 upvotes
DHL is much worse than CP for resident customers. DHL is good for commercial
Oct 12, 2017
58 posts
26 upvotes
Among the couriers, I think DHL has the lowest brokerage fees. It has a fixed $4.5 or something plus 2.5% of the declared valued (minimum of $10.50). So it's brokerage fee is around $15 as long as the value of your item is below $420 (since 2.5% of 420 is 10.50).

But again, if you mail the item through Canada Post, there's a chance that CBSA will just let it pass through without paying any tax unlike couriers in which it's 100% that you'll pay tax.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11826 posts
3162 upvotes
GTA
FWIW, clothes are one of the tougher things to get through without paying the duties.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)