[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4129 posts
424 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake

Recent body work question

Hi all ,

I had to get my car door fixed and resprayed. Took it to a reputable shop and the job looks really good. However, upon further inspection at home I noticed that I can see little bumps along the surface now (when looking at it from the side) that seem to be dust or dirt that was on the surface and then painted over. Is this to be expected? Or should it be smooth like coming from the factory?

Is it being picky to take it back? I'm worried that if I wax the car in a few months or polish it, these bumps will get snagged and take the paint off as they come off.

There aren't a lot, but there are a few in a specific area.

Thank you.
12 replies
Dec 19, 2008
284 posts
132 upvotes
If you are not happy with the the work then take it back to see what can be done. A reputable shop will make it right for you. Would these "bumps" resemble anything like an orange peel? Sometimes with a new paint job you can get the "orange peel" effect which can be wet sanded out. Good luck!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4129 posts
424 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Cokenut wrote: If you are not happy with the the work then take it back to see what can be done. A reputable shop will make it right for you. Would these "bumps" resemble anything like an orange peel? Sometimes with a new paint job you can get the "orange peel" effect which can be wet sanded out. Good luck!
Thanks. Nope, it looks like if you painted a wall and painted over a special of dust.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21907 posts
2720 upvotes
Poor prep or a dirty booth. It has to be repainted.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4129 posts
424 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Kasakato wrote: Poor prep or a dirty booth. It has to be repainted.
Thanks. I'm assuming it's not being picky to go back and ask for it to be rectified? I'm not sure if these things are normal or not for resprays.

I understand it won't be 100% perfect, but I don't see why dust needs to be in there.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21907 posts
2720 upvotes
Typhoonz wrote: Thanks. I'm assuming it's not being picky to go back and ask for it to be rectified? I'm not sure if these things are normal or not for resprays.

I understand it won't be 100% perfect, but I don't see why dust needs to be in there.
I would not consider it a good job at all, if I was ok with dust I'd paint it in my garage. I've asked for a respray before, second time it came out fine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4129 posts
424 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Kasakato wrote: I would not consider it a good job at all, if I was ok with dust I'd paint it in my garage. I've asked for a respray before, second time it came out fine.
Cheers. How did you go about dealing with the situation. Have a feeling I'll be told it's normal, though it's clearly not.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21907 posts
2720 upvotes
Typhoonz wrote: Cheers. How did you go about dealing with the situation. Have a feeling I'll be told it's normal, though it's clearly not.
Point out the dust, ask them if the car arrived like that, which it clearly did not. I'm not paying someone to make the finish worse. I'd assume most shops should be fairly receptive to these requests as their reputation hinges on it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4129 posts
424 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Kasakato wrote: Point out the dust, ask them if the car arrived like that, which it clearly did not. I'm not paying someone to make the finish worse. I'd assume most shops should be fairly receptive to these requests as their reputation hinges on it.
Will do. Thanks again. Will stop by tomorrow morning before work.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2649 posts
1895 upvotes
Markham
Those small specs, likely of dust, painted over are what's called "fisheyes". As noted this is caused by poor prep either the area they're spraying in isn't clean, or the surface wasn't cleaned. If you had only seen like one or two in a large area that might be a bit too picky, but multiple to me is unacceptable so you're correct to send it back. Since you're at it, you probably want to make sure the paint texture is consistent with the rest of the car, and that the paint doesn't look dull, use the unaffected panels as reference. A good day in the sunlight should expose any painting flaws, the only colour you have to be in shade to see paint flaws is white.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1852 posts
1545 upvotes
Waterloo
no it's not suppose to be like that. take it back.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4129 posts
424 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Took it back. They are going to wet sand it and polish it.