Automotive

Recently new car - got keyed in driveway what to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2021 3:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2971 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto

Recently new car - got keyed in driveway what to do?

So my friend recently purchased a new car (like last week) and it got keyed while in their driveway.

One of the scratches look kinda deep...

Are there any DIY things that can be done and if so, any recommendations on products and where to get them?

Also - is there anything the dealership would do in this scenario?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Ticco on Aug 12th, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2571 posts
3475 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Hard to recommend anything without seeing the scratch first. And the dealer isn't going to help you with anything, that is unless you pay them.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9501 posts
7889 upvotes
Kitchener
Essentially going to come down to buffer + compound. Won't be able to get deep scratches out without repainting. Unsure what you think the dealer is going to do other than feel sorry for you?
Mar 4, 2014
256 posts
150 upvotes
GTA
The big question who is doing the scratches on a private driveway? Get some security cams is the first thing I would do.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16745 posts
11936 upvotes
Toronto
Ticco wrote: So my friend recently purchased a new car (like last week) and it got keyed while in their driveway.

Are there any DIY things that can be done and if so, any recommendations on products and where to get them?

Thanks in advance
what are you expecting the dealer to do?

Sell you a new car? Sure.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4485 posts
2968 upvotes
Ticco wrote: So my friend recently purchased a new car (like last week) and it got keyed while in their driveway.

Thanks in advance

The most the dealer would do will throw you a touch up pen or something like that. Here you go and you are on your own.
BTW your friend must be loved in that neighborhood.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1684 posts
1143 upvotes
Manitoba
If your friend doesn't want to claim then get friendly with a paint retouch pen and a buffer machine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2971 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
mxthor3 wrote: Hard to recommend anything without seeing the scratch first. And the dealer isn't going to help you with anything, that is unless you pay them.
Ok thx.

I updated the thread with a pic of the scratch - this something that can be easily repaired DIY?

The other scratches were superficial but this one looks pretty deep
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1810 posts
1831 upvotes
That looks like the side of the door and like your friend opened the door and hit something. Doesn’t look like it was keyed.
May 7, 2015
697 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ProductGuy wrote: That looks like the side of the door and like your friend opened the door and hit something. Doesn’t look like it was keyed.
Yeah doesn’t look like it was keyed to me.

More like you hit something or something hit it ? Shopping cart?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1190 posts
1068 upvotes
Touchup pen used very lightly and move on. Takes the thrill out of a new car but cars get dinged up eventually.

Had someone key a car I bought new from front to back on the day I picked it up. I was so pissed off.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
Ticco wrote:

Thanks in advance
They are glad to take it back as a trade in a sell your friend another new car.
Seriously, what do you expect them to do?

Once buyer took delivery of the car and drove it out, it is no longer their problem.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4110 posts
4311 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ProductGuy wrote: That looks like the side of the door and like your friend opened the door and hit something. Doesn’t look like it was keyed.
OP has obviously never seen a keyed car.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
3675 posts
2993 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Ecsta wrote: OP has obviously never seen a keyed car.
I had a co-worker have her car keyed and someone took some time to do it... a full 360 job with some salty words on the hood. She went through insurance as they must have used a blade or one of those big keys from the 1920's. She got a whole new paint job out of her deductible. She never found out who had it in for her, but she was kind of the Hot girl with her nose up in the air and I guess someone didn't care for her antics (and were jealous of her brand new car).

The lot has cameras and the perp must have known where they are as they were never caught. After that she asked security and they told her where to park to be under the lights and camera.

I don't understand the thread premise as someone is thinking the dealership has some power over criminal damage to the vehicle? I don't see a pic but once you get it home unless it's manufacturer defects, you are dealing with Insurance at that point.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7808 posts
6264 upvotes
Ottawa
Looks like the thread has been updated to remove the picture that was added by the first update.

Anywho...

If you spray a scratch with water and the scratch disappears when wet, a paintless repair is an option; if not, then you're looking at paint and cc.