Shopping Discussion

Rechargeable batteries - good source besides Ikea but just as cheap?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2019 2:13 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16890 posts
7181 upvotes

Rechargeable batteries - good source besides Ikea but just as cheap?

I went to Ikea the other day and they were all sold out of the Ladda rechargeables in the "low" end (the $4.99 ones). I do not go to Ikea often and didn't even think to check store stock as I assumed they would always make sure to have these sort of consumables.

As I don't go often (once a year) but will need batteries where else are you getting a good deal? I don't have a problem waiting for some off ebay, I'm just more concerned about being able to get a decent battery at a decent price. I have been very happy with the Ikea ones and do not know if the price can be beat.
11 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4352 upvotes
You could consider buying Amazon Basics. Not as good as Ladda, and cost slightly more than Ladda... so IMO you're still better off holding out for Ladda. Ladda is hands down the best value out there for rechargeable AA and AAA's.

Which Ikea did you go to? North York store was well stocked with them when I went a few weeks ago, with both the high and the low end models.

Also, why are you getting the low end ones, get the better ones which are identical to Panasonic Eneloop Pros which cost 2.5X more:
amazon-pre-charged-rechargeable-batteri ... #p31194587
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3115 posts
1010 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
OP does not disclose where s/he lives but it seems remote as OP does not go to Ikea often. What about getting them shipped? Does that kill the purchase?
Deal Addict
May 14, 2006
1171 posts
599 upvotes
GTA
Did you look in the right location? I often couldn't find the LADDA batteries because they were stocked in the lighting section of the marketplace(?) when I thought they were stocked by checkout.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4352 upvotes
Kinata wrote: Did you look in the right location? I often couldn't find the LADDA batteries because they were stocked in the lighting section of the marketplace(?) when I thought they were stocked by checkout.
Even worse, they put those boxes on the lowest shelf close to the floor so you really did have to weave through the area to find them. In North York it's in the same area as the electric power bars and the USB phone chargers.
I saw somebody not paying attention and just grabbed the lower-priced (less capacity) ones and walked away, not noticing the better "eneloop" ones were just behind them.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16890 posts
7181 upvotes
Kinata wrote: Did you look in the right location? I often couldn't find the LADDA batteries because they were stocked in the lighting section of the marketplace(?) when I thought they were stocked by checkout.
Yeah - I checked in the usual spots but the kicker is when I checked my phone they were flagged as "out of stock". A little upset I didn't check it before but I didn't even think to for that. My fault.

Ikea is only 30 minutes away but with kids it's tough to make it there because we try to do more outdoor activities with the nice weather and would rather do those than shopping. We have enough regular shopping (groceries, etc.) that we try not to spend too much more time inside stores.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16890 posts
7181 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: You could consider buying Amazon Basics. Not as good as Ladda, and cost slightly more than Ladda... so IMO you're still better off holding out for Ladda. Ladda is hands down the best value out there for rechargeable AA and AAA's.

Which Ikea did you go to? North York store was well stocked with them when I went a few weeks ago, with both the high and the low end models.

Also, why are you getting the low end ones, get the better ones which are identical to Panasonic Eneloop Pros which cost 2.5X more:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon- ... #p31194587
Thanks - I thought from what I read here they were the best ones (Ladda) but was hoping something has changed.

Truthfully I just get the cheap ones because they are only for kids toys. I have a set of the nicer ones which worked well for high-draw devices but the kids toys are mostly just flashing lights and music, so the cheap ones seem to work fine. Right now I don't have to change out batteries often it's just as they get older I need more batteries (more toys).
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4352 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: Thanks - I thought from what I read here they were the best ones (Ladda) but was hoping something has changed.

Truthfully I just get the cheap ones because they are only for kids toys. I have a set of the nicer ones which worked well for high-draw devices but the kids toys are mostly just flashing lights and music, so the cheap ones seem to work fine. Right now I don't have to change out batteries often it's just as they get older I need more batteries (more toys).
Definitely makes sense, no argument from me if it's just kids toys and you don't mind having to charge them as often.

Since you're looking for free shipping/avoiding a drive to Ikea, I am not knocking Amazon Basics at all. They've performed up to par with my Duracell and Energizer branded rechargeables (and are cheaper). If you don't need Eneloop Pro quality, which you don't, they're perfectly fine. I use my Amazons, Duracells and Energizers in things like TV remote controls, computer mice, wall clocks (both digital and analog), outdoor remote thermometers, and LED candles, which don't draw a lot of power anyway, so it's no big deal if I have to charge them every (say) 4 weeks instead of 5. No biggie.

I use Laddas mostly for the external flashes for my SLR's. When I'm out shooting I'd rather not have to switch those batteries out too often if at all, and I find that these batteries energize the capacitor in the flash faster than even fresh alkalines or lithiums. So I can shoot more frames in quicker succession, and for a longer time. This is where you really see the benefit of Eneloop and Ladda.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16890 posts
7181 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Definitely makes sense, no argument from me if it's just kids toys and you don't mind having to charge them as often.

Since you're looking for free shipping/avoiding a drive to Ikea, I am not knocking Amazon Basics at all. They've performed up to par with my Duracell and Energizer branded rechargeables (and are cheaper). If you don't need Eneloop Pro quality, which you don't, they're perfectly fine. I use my Amazons, Duracells and Energizers in things like TV remote controls, computer mice, wall clocks (both digital and analog), outdoor remote thermometers, and LED candles, which don't draw a lot of power anyway, so it's no big deal if I have to charge them every (say) 4 weeks instead of 5. No biggie.

I use Laddas mostly for the external flashes for my SLR's. When I'm out shooting I'd rather not have to switch those batteries out too often if at all, and I find that these batteries energize the capacitor in the flash faster than even fresh alkalines or lithiums. So I can shoot more frames in quicker succession, and for a longer time. This is where you really see the benefit of Eneloop and Ladda.
Thanks - if I get an Amazon order in (I don't have prime) I will toss some in. I am just at the point I am running out of batteries for all the toys and I hate the waste of "normal" batteries.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13276 posts
2496 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Also, why are you getting the low end ones
Because it's 1500 cycles versus 500. It just depends on what you're using it for.

The new Amazonbasics high capacity AAAs (grey) are made in China, so I would wait awhile before buying them. See the reviews (sort by most recent).
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4352 upvotes
rabbit wrote: The new Amazonbasics high capacity AAAs (grey) are made in China, so I would wait awhile before buying them. See the reviews (sort by most recent).
Thanks for the heads-up. I stocked up on the grey AA's and they are made in Japan. No biggie, I'm only buying Ladda from now on (or until they switch to commie crap).