Home & Garden

Recommend any good timer switch for bathroom exhaust fan?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2018 4:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8941 posts
1502 upvotes
TO

Recommend any good timer switch for bathroom exhaust fan?

Hi guys,
Looking for option on a good timer switch that can be used for bathroom exhaust fan.
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7871 posts
3717 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Define "good"
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Sep 26, 2015
617 posts
313 upvotes
Was looking into this yesterday, id probably go with Lutron.

Lutron
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2557 posts
856 upvotes
I use a wemo switch. I put a rule in the app for it to turn off after 'x' minutes. You can also set a different rule for a long press of the switch.
Apr 17, 2016
358 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
jrees wrote: I use a wemo switch. I put a rule in the app for it to turn off after 'x' minutes. You can also set a different rule for a long press of the switch.
Check the load of your fan motor before you try this one. I bought it but my fan motor uses less current than the minimum this timer needs to run properly...just kept turning on and off my fan constantly.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35123 posts
8544 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
jrees wrote: I use a wemo switch. I put a rule in the app for it to turn off after 'x' minutes. You can also set a different rule for a long press of the switch.
An occupancy sensor would be a better choice. I use a Lurton switch rated to handle the fan

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.maes ... 15148.html

The fan continues to run as long as someone is in he bathroom and moving. The fan shuts off after 15 minutes of no occupancy

I have lights in the powder room on a similar occupancy switch that shuts off after 1 minute. The main bathrooms have automation switches because I don’t want the light to turn on automatically at night. These lights turn off after 20 minutes after being turned on.

Using an automation switch is not practical for a fan. What if you take a 20 minute shower? You would need to turn the fan on again
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2436 posts
1518 upvotes
London
I used a Leviton 6260m.

I liked the time intervals available, which included 60min.
Some only have 30min max.

It is simple one button push of the interval desired, and not multiple pushes to select.
I bought it at Canadian Tire, I believe.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1552 posts
770 upvotes
Toronto
wrcfocus wrote: I use this in the bathrooms. Not as sophisticated as what jumran recommended though. Decora preset timer
I installed 3 Leviton timers in my home and they all started to buzz after a year. I then switched to Lutron timer and it’s been very quiet.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9553 posts
2171 upvotes
Somewhere
By the way, be careful with keeping the fan on too long.

During the summer, all you're doing is drawing in hot air from outside and your AC has to work longer to cool that air.

In the winter, you're drawing in cool air.

It's a better idea to either keep the door open, and let the humidity spread. Or open the door afterwards and keep the fan on for 5/10 minutes after you're done.
:confused:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5949 posts
1413 upvotes
GTA
When evaluating the Wemo option also I encountered these two:

In-Wall: https://shelly.cloud/shelly-sense/

Outside Wall/Mount Below Switch: https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... k%3Asonoff

Both cheaper and more versatile than wire-switched physical switches, retains the ability to physically break circuit. Only downside is liability and code thus this must be DIY.

Neither offers the ability to relocate switches anywhere, i.e. wifi remote with power source or battery life. But the physical switch is still there.

Any thoughts? or Wemo is still the better way to go smart?