Home & Garden

Recommend best spray to remove mold in the washroom shower?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2021 10:31 pm
[OP]
Sep 25, 2020
183 posts
89 upvotes

Recommend best spray to remove mold in the washroom shower?

In my washroom shower/tub area, there are tiles on the wall. Between the tiles, there are the white lines. It has become dark black i believe it is mold. The corners are also brownish.

What is the best spray to remove these mold?

There are lots of fake products out there but it doesn't do much. Any recommendation ?
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5108 posts
4050 upvotes
Vinegar and baking soda should do the trick.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2853 posts
1516 upvotes
Markham
canada85000 wrote: In my washroom shower/tub area, there are tiles on the wall. Between the tiles, there are the white lines. It has become dark black i believe it is mold. The corners are also brownish.

What is the best spray to remove these mold?

There are lots of fake products out there but it doesn't do much. Any recommendation ?
These white lines are called grout.
There are sprays (big box store off the shelf) for cleaning minor mold.
For major, because it has been neglected for so long, you need to get grout cleaner and use a brush....
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1217 posts
598 upvotes
TORONTO
I find bleach the best. mix a bit with water in a spray bottle. Should disappear. Just make sure your fan/vent is on.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17871 posts
15318 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
BDSL wrote: These white lines are called grout.
There are sprays (big box store off the shelf) for cleaning minor mold.
For major, because it has been neglected for so long, you need to get grout cleaner and use a brush....
This

TIP … it’s a chemical, but it’s a good ounce of prevention going forward if you want to save yourself the pain of doing this job over and over

Once you have nice clean grout & shower …

Step 1 - Seal the grout lines in your shower
https://www.thespruce.com/grout-sealer- ... on-1821387

Step 2 - Start buying & using a DAILY Shower Spray
You spray it on after you are done showering … do it all, walls … taps … shower curtain / glass
It slows down the growth of mould & mildew
Means you don’t have to hand scrub your shower quite so often
It’s a chemical mix that will cut down on the build up of the Pink Mould … which if left is the stuff that eventually turns black
Pink mould. Technically, pink mould isn’t really a mould; it’s a water-borne bacterium (serratia marcesens) that can build up on your shower wall, floor, or curtain, as well as other areas of your bathroom. Pink mould’s not exactly pink either; it is often orange or reddish.
There are many brands … both big names as well as store brands
Here’s a few of the brand name ones:
Scrubbing Bubbles - Tilex Fresh Shower - Clean Shower - Method

You can GOOGLE = Daily Shower Spray
To learn more
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5338 posts
1596 upvotes
Toronto
akswun wrote: I find bleach the best. mix a bit with water in a spray bottle. Should disappear. Just make sure your fan/vent is on.
Yep, bleach works. Mix it with water 1:3 to 1:4 will be plenty strong. Spray the diluted bleach on and let it sit 10-15 min or whatever.
Mar 14, 2018
501 posts
521 upvotes
We stick paper towel strips soaked with bleach along grout lines. Leave them overnight so bleach can kill the mold.
Jan 21, 2011
815 posts
336 upvotes
GTA
Do you have a pic? Is it just surface mold? Is there any smell, are tiles easy to push?
Jan 11, 2017
136 posts
66 upvotes
The problem is that you have drywall behind the tiles and it's absorbing the moisture through the grout and becoming trapped. This problem will never clean up or go away and will continue to grow until you remove the drywall. When you get around to changing the tiles the drywall will be wet and crumble. I recommend using wedi/Prova board as your new substrate.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12428 posts
7019 upvotes
Brampton
I use a drill attachment drill brush and Scrubbing Bubbles or VIM to "Clean" it the surface Mold will mostly wash off. It'll go from deep black to Grey.
Like these
https://www.amazon.ca/Scrubber-Cleaning ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

What you'll want to do next is a get a Bleach Gel and coat the grout and let it sit till it turns white. (As mentioned above papertowel soaked in bleach works but I find it hard to get to stay on vertical grout).
If you can't find bleach gel (be careful with ones for Toilets as it may contain acids that will destroy Chrome).
Otherwise use one of the two below, it's available from Walmart
https://www.scrubbingbubbles.ca/en-ca/p ... ver-bleach
or this
https://www.scrubbingbubbles.com/en-us/ ... om-cleaner

The foaming sprayer is key as it will allow the bleach to cling to the grout. The above product works better. So What i Did was kept the sprayer from the second link after I finished it and used it with the top product.
Spray it liberally. Let it soak for an hour come back and check if it's dry but not white spray again, repeat till it's white and then rinse.

Seal your grout with a sealer, Rinse your shower after every shower, squeegee the water off the walls and spray with a shower spray and you pretty much never have to "clean" your shower anymore.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4038 posts
1068 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
boyohboy wrote: Yep, bleach works. Mix it with water 1:3 to 1:4 will be plenty strong. Spray the diluted bleach on and let it sit 10-15 min or whatever.
For areas that resist full cleanup with the spray solution, a bit of scrubbing with a toothbrush helps. Eye protection would be recommended.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1092 posts
540 upvotes
Longueuil
Slightly off topic and I know I am in the minority but I like my corner (2 walls) acrylic shower. I don't need to fear water damage to the walls because it is fully water proof and it is so easy to clean. It might not be the best looking (not any worse than a white bathtub) but it still looks like new. White, clean, classic, low maintenance, I like it. Grout often ends up looking nasty it seems and tiles get outdated after a while.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
May 6, 2010
694 posts
139 upvotes
Richmond Hill
In well ventilated room:
on silicone - apply bleach with toothbrush, leave for few hours and scrape, repeat as needed.
on tiles - depends on material: scrape, apply bleach as above or recommended solution from HD. For my bleach does 90% of removal.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

fergy