• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2020 3:48 am
[OP]
Feb 15, 2007
632 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto

Recommend BYOD plan

Just bought new Samsung S20 FE (no plan) and am looking for best plan to get for it (not on contract). If contract to be able to cancel and switch to an other courier without penalty.
Need to have at least 4GB, unlimited calls/text/MMS North American wide. International text and/or calls would be nice but not a must.
Good coverage is a must though.
Would appreciate your suggestions.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1554 posts
916 upvotes
NOYB
no contract?

public mobile or lucky mobile's $40 plan, 4.5GB (+.5GB if u do autopay)

zoomer currently has $36 plan with 4GB data but it's a 2 year contract..
*Zoomer + VoIP.ms user*

🖕 to the self righteous double standard fascist POS on this forum.
Apr 25, 2019
342 posts
553 upvotes
Can vouch for Lucky Mobile, 5 GB $40, or 8.5 GB $50. Plus, you can get a potential migration plan to either Virgin or Bell. Last one was $45 8 GB.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
[OP]
Feb 15, 2007
632 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks Guys. How is the coverage, signal quality and data speed of Public Mobile and Lucky?

Also what about the deals I just read on RFD - Fido offering 4GB for $35 for 2 years? Maybe Koodo of Virgin offering similar?
Have those all expired?
Or are those considered "contracts"? If so can you not cancel at any time and move to different provider without been charged penalties?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17239 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
Coverage with Public and Koodo will be identical to Telus. Virgin and Lucky will be identical to Bell.

Some people have said that the sub-brands of the big 3 get less than optimal wireless service speed and reliability but I've never found this to be the case.
May 31, 2017
215 posts
279 upvotes
chocho111 wrote: Just bought new Samsung S20 FE (no plan) and am looking for best plan to get for it (not on contract). If contract to be able to cancel and switch to an other courier without penalty.
Need to have at least 4GB, unlimited calls/text/MMS North American wide. International text and/or calls would be nice but not a must.
Fido is currently offering $35 (says $45 but they are offering a $10 bill credit) for 4GB...and it's a 24 month promo which is nice.
Unlimited calls in Canada, unlimited international texting and they threw in a fair amount of LD minutes to a mix of countries (didn't care since we don't call outside the country anyways but they did include it).
They are owned by Rogers so, obviously, you're the same cell network as Rogers.
Mar 31, 2020
221 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
chocho111 wrote: Just bought new Samsung S20 FE (no plan) and am looking for best plan to get for it (not on contract). If contract to be able to cancel and switch to an other courier without penalty.
Rogers 20GB @ $50 (BYOD) still seems to be active. With their $5 add-on, you get unlimited international texts and preferred rates for international calls (US would be $0.02). Or, get a $15 add-on for unlimited US calling.

Of course, Public Mobile ($50) or Lucky Mobile ($50) or even Chatr ($55) are other options if you don't need 20GB data and are happy with throttled LTE speeds. To clarify, though, you did say "calls North America-wide" so I believe the only 'true' provider would then be AT&T, for which there is a separate thread here on RFD.

Another way out if you are tempted by Rogers' plan is to sign up with some VoIP providers who offer free to dirt-cheap calling rates to the US. They have a local access number which you won't cost you (or you can use their app which comes with a dialer).
If all the world's a stage, then where is my audience?
[OP]
Feb 15, 2007
632 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
Isn't the "Data ¹ at 3G speed" with Public Mobile limiting you when using data for some tasks?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17239 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
chocho111 wrote: Isn't the "Data ¹ at 3G speed" with Public Mobile limiting you when using data for some tasks?
It really depends on what you are using the data to accomplish. For email and surfing, it's pretty good. Streaming high-res video, large downloads and uploads would be a problem.
Aug 19, 2013
824 posts
702 upvotes
TORONTO
chocho111 wrote: Isn't the "Data ¹ at 3G speed" with Public Mobile limiting you when using data for some tasks?
If you switch to the actual 3G network, it's supposedly faster than connecting to the LTE network throttle to 3G speeds. Of course, youd be losing the features of the LTE network like reduced latency, etc
Jan 27, 2017
154 posts
61 upvotes
Your solution if BYOD is: Simply Connect.
simply-connect-super-low-smartphone-pla ... 7-2426764/
(Rock bottom pricing plus 10% off when you bring your own device!). Of course, there are other costlier options if you want perks that you may or may not need at the big 3.
Nov 25, 2008
44 posts
2 upvotes
BatCountry wrote: Fido is currently offering $35 (says $45 but they are offering a $10 bill credit) for 4GB...and it's a 24 month promo which is nice.
Unlimited calls in Canada, unlimited international texting and they threw in a fair amount of LD minutes to a mix of countries (didn't care since we don't call outside the country anyways but they did include it).
They are owned by Rogers so, obviously, you're the same cell network as Rogers.
What is this $10 monthly credit you speak of ?
Nov 23, 2019
63 posts
23 upvotes
TO
I’m with Telus EPP 11 months left and currently paying $65 for 20GB do you think I can call and ask for $50 since that’s what everyone’s paying ? Or am I screwed coz of the 2yr plan (11 months left)
May 31, 2017
215 posts
279 upvotes
jetsfan08 wrote: What is this $10 monthly credit you speak of ?
It was offered on Black Friday - an extra $10 credit off their $45 rate plan...it was also available for a few days past the actual Black Friday weekend (which is when we switched).
At this point I'd guess you'd have to ask at their kiosk/store...my guess is they may still be offering it.
[OP]
Feb 15, 2007
632 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
BatCountry wrote: It was offered on Black Friday - an extra $10 credit off their $45 rate plan...it was also available for a few days past the actual Black Friday weekend (which is when we switched).
At this point I'd guess you'd have to ask at their kiosk/store...my guess is they may still be offering it.
Doesn't work anymore. I've asked online, on the phone and at their store only to be told by all that promotion is gone/expired. Too bad as I would have signed up for it. Only choice is to wait for BD now and hope similar offer will become available.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3498 posts
2135 upvotes
Kitchener
chocho111 wrote: Doesn't work anymore. I've asked online, on the phone and at their store only to be told by all that promotion is gone/expired. Too bad as I would have signed up for it. Only choice is to wait for BD now and hope similar offer will become available.
Since you’re taking your own phone, Zoomer works out to $36/month with 4GB. https://www.zoomerwireless.ca/solution_ ... &plid=1917

Your other choice for low-cost is Freedom which has 4GB for $35: https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/plan ... edom%201GB

Freedom allows global texting for that price. That might be a bonus.

Whoops...just re-read what you need. Freedom Mobile you would have to add US calling, for $5. So you would pay $40 for 4GB and Canada/USA calling and you’d have global texting/picture/etc.
Why can't we all just get along?
Oct 14, 2006
212 posts
98 upvotes
Richmond
They throttle to between 3-4mbit. That's enough for a lot of stuff. Downloads are a bit slow, but lets get real - full speed LTE can hit your monthly data cap in a minute or two. You don't need that much speed. 3-4mbit still handles the web, email and most basic tasks just fine. Where you'll gain the most speed is installing an adblocker on your phone. That'll make a far bigger difference than Public Mobile vs Telus/Rogers. If you do need to download something big, do it on WiFi. 5 minutes of planning can save you $50/mo.