• Nov 21st, 2022 11:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2987 posts
326 upvotes

Recommend Canvas Print who will deliver during Covid

Hi!

Looking for a high quality canvas print (poster size). I have read good things about Costco but unfortunately their printing is closed during the pandemic.

Is there other high quality places that are printing and shipping during Covid? (I'm located just east of Toronto)

Thank you
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.
19 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15230 posts
20497 upvotes
Vancouver
Costcophotocentre.ca says "Your safety is our priority. We are temporarily interrupting warehouse pick up at all Canadian locations. Photo products remain however available for home delivery, delivered in approximately 2 weeks. Sincerely, your Costco Photo Centre."

London Drugs canvas printing is cheaper anyway, 24"x36" for $70 compared to Costco's $85. Free shipping too
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2987 posts
326 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Costcophotocentre.ca says "Your safety is our priority. We are temporarily interrupting warehouse pick up at all Canadian locations. Photo products remain however available for home delivery, delivered in approximately 2 weeks. Sincerely, your Costco Photo Centre."

London Drugs canvas printing is cheaper anyway, 24"x36" for $70 compared to Costco's $85. Free shipping too

Thank you for responding.
When I posted, costco wasn't taking orders for cavases, but now it seems they are.
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.
Apr 3, 2007
860 posts
425 upvotes
Toronto
Reviving an old thread

With the loss of Costco photo centre, where is the best place to get Canvas prints and photos in general?

I've heard of posterjack, however, wondering if there are other places people know of with good deals?

Top priority is Price (hopefully free shipping with x amount of orders) then quality then customer service.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
2037 posts
1442 upvotes
Vancouver
CanvasChamp is pretty good. Staples also does these, but slightly more expensive
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6920 posts
4654 upvotes
SW ON
Seoulkid wrote: Reviving an old thread

With the loss of Costco photo centre, where is the best place to get Canvas prints and photos in general?
What do you mean by "the loss". They just moved online only. Costcophotocentre.ca is alive and prints and ships.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3320 posts
897 upvotes
Ancaster
I've been looking at CanvasChamp for a metal print because they are one of the few companies that does custom sizes.

But looking at their horrendous Google reviews I'm leery now to take the chance with them. Additionally, tons of people have reported being contacted by DHL Courier Service wanting duty charges that in some cases were double the cost of item they were purchasing.

I know they show a Toronto address but they appear to farm out the work to India...hence the DHL duty charges.

Has anyone purchased a metal print from them and if so how was the quality?
Nov 6, 2013
358 posts
246 upvotes
Bestcanvas are real? their prices are pretty low
Oct 28, 2017
198 posts
68 upvotes
posterjack has 30% discount site wide now
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
2037 posts
1442 upvotes
Vancouver
nielboy wrote: I've been looking at CanvasChamp for a metal print because they are one of the few companies that does custom sizes.

But looking at their horrendous Google reviews I'm leery now to take the chance with them. Additionally, tons of people have reported being contacted by DHL Courier Service wanting duty charges that in some cases were double the cost of item they were purchasing.

I know they show a Toronto address but they appear to farm out the work to India...hence the DHL duty charges.

I tried a standard print. Quality was as good as the one from Staples. Frame was much sturdier though
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
8016 posts
2006 upvotes
Ottawa
I have some staples gc that I need to unload, can these canvas prints be done in store? How’s their pricing, seems cheaper than Costco so far. I’m thinking about doing a 3 panel split canvas. I’d split the images myself and print.
Sep 30, 2015
359 posts
117 upvotes
York, ON
I just returned to Staples a 8x10 photo of a yellow rose. The colour is way darker that it looks muddy yellow not like bright yellow as seen on my monitor or iphone. The manager at Staples suggested using matt paper, but I doubt it will bright it up. What is the trick to ask pohotoprinters to just print without making any change?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5037 posts
2028 upvotes
Vancouver
krist8 wrote: I just returned to Staples a 8x10 photo of a yellow rose. The colour is way darker that it looks muddy yellow not like bright yellow as seen on my monitor or iphone. The manager at Staples suggested using matt paper, but I doubt it will bright it up. What is the trick to ask pohotoprinters to just print without making any change?
It's complicated. It is a colour management issue. I'm going to go through this as if you're a typical home snap shotter who has no background in photography or photo printing.

First, tell us if you submitted to Staples a
  1. file straight from the camera or
  2. a file that you edited at some point, either on your phone or on your computing device - i.e. desktop or laptop

The trick (for most people) is getting your home monitor to display to a standard, know what that standard is, use software that is capable of working in that standard's colour space (ie. it is "colour managed"), and then saving the image file with that colour space standard embedded in the image. Then 3rd party printers can print to the known standard and it should all look the same. This can be a quite elaborate and moderately expensive process as it can require a colorimeter to calibrate your monitor and editing software capable of being "colour managed" for the colour spaces you are editing and saving to.

I would expect that Staples would prefer for you to provide to them a file where the image is saved to the sRGB colour space, referred to in photo editing circles as "embedding the colour profile". For reference , the Internet is mostly a sRGB space - almost all images you view are in this colour space.

The most likely issue is that you edited the file where your monitor brightness settings at home are not set up properly for your room and that the data saved in the image file did not have a color space embedded. This applies to probably 80-90% of home users, I'm guessing.

If you edited the file at home to look great to your eyes and in the editing process lowered the brightness of the image and saved those results, it may cause what is known in the industry as a "dark print". This comes from where your monitor brightness is set far too high in balance against the ambient room lighting at the time you edited.

Look at your monitor settings and check the brightness - if you have it at about 60% or higher and you're doing your editing in a dark room, odds are that the monitor is too bright in balance against the room lighting and the perceptual cognition of human vision fools you into lowering the image brightness. You made the file darker so that when Staples prints it to their industry standard, it comes out darker.

It can also go the other way if you edit in a really bright room and your monitor brightness is not high enough so you brighten up the image and "voila" you get a washed out bright print.

You can also run into issues with colour spaces where if you are using editing software that is not "colour space aware" and you edited in one colour space (on your monitor screen) and saved to another (the printer), the colours when printed may come out muted. This is in reference to working in the standard colour space for most people - sRGB - and wide gamut colour spaces, which in photography is typically > AdobeRGB. If your monitor can display a wide gamut - AdobeRGB - you need to use software that can work with that colour space and then for printing, convert and save the file with the sRGB colour space embedded or save with AdobeRGB embedded and take that file to a 3rd party printer capable of printing images with wide gamut colour spaces.

To address all the issues you'd have to share with us:
  • Confirm if you have use a colorimeter to calibrate your system and what make/model used
  • Your external monitor brand and model number.
  • or.... laptop brand and model# (laptop screens can be notoriously bad)
  • or.... if you are using a monitor connected to a laptop
  • Your OS
  • Your editing software.

I asked at the beginning here if you had submitted a file straight from the camera in order to check a scenario. A good camera's auto exposure system usually gets the image lighting pretty close to nominal. If you print the image straight from the camera and it comes out near perfect or at least much brighter and with colours closer to reality, it is then most likely your editing process that is causing the issue.

Sep 30, 2015
359 posts
117 upvotes
York, ON
Thanks Newsyl for the detailed explanation. I can say that I am experienced photographers, using now Fuji XE3 with a bunch of lenses. I edit and crop them in darktable, sometime in Affinity on ipad. Sometimes I use the jpeg file directly from the camera if I like the colour, and sometimes I edit them from raw file. My monitor is Dell 2715Q which is color calibrated from factory. I did test it (when it was new) using my calorimeter and the monitor is indeed quite flat in response. It is set to brightness 30% and contrast 75%. Using darktable, I saved the file in AdobeRGB (thinking Staples would have equipment that is compatible with AdobeRGB) and perceptual intent. I have never sent files for 8x10 printing so, I have no knowledge in this regard. I resize the photo to 8x10 ending in about 8Mpx file size. The image looks bright enough on my monitor as well as on my ipad and iphone, although I can detect a minute color difference in ipad vs the monitor. I printed it on my home printer, HP Envy 7640 AIO inkjet, (after returning the print to Staples). My printer gives a much brighter print than that from Staples, although the colour is a bit off from the monitor but looks ok by itself.
If I submit it to Staples again (or others like 60 minute Photo Lab on Yonge & Eglinton), what do you recommend:
8x10 in 300dpi I cropped it ending up in about 8 Mpixels (is this good enough or should I scale it up to 20 Mpixels)
sRGB or AdobeRGB (you already mentioned sRGB, but I am sending a file of the image so why should it not be AdobeRGB?
Output image setting with icc profile from darktable or perpetual intent, relative colorimeter intent, saturation intent, absolute colorimeter intent ?
File format is jpeg 8 bit 100% or should I use PNG or tiff formats? There is also jpeg200 (12 bit)

Thanks for your help.

Also any comment on 60 minute Photo Lab? Are they good. They cost double the price of Satples.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5037 posts
2028 upvotes
Vancouver
krist8 wrote: Thanks Newsyl for the detailed explanation. I can say that I am experienced photographers, using now Fuji XE3 with a bunch of lenses. I edit and crop them in darktable, sometime in Affinity on ipad. Sometimes I use the jpeg file directly from the camera if I like the colour, and sometimes I edit them from raw file. My monitor is Dell 2715Q which is color calibrated from factory. I did test it (when it was new) using my calorimeter and the monitor is indeed quite flat in response. It is set to brightness 30% and contrast 75%. Using darktable, I saved the file in AdobeRGB (thinking Staples would have equipment that is compatible with AdobeRGB) and perceptual intent. I have never sent files for 8x10 printing so, I have no knowledge in this regard. I resize the photo to 8x10 ending in about 8Mpx file size. The image looks bright enough on my monitor as well as on my ipad and iphone, although I can detect a minute color difference in ipad vs the monitor. I printed it on my home printer, HP Envy 7640 AIO inkjet, (after returning the print to Staples). My printer gives a much brighter print than that from Staples, although the colour is a bit off from the monitor but looks ok by itself.
If I submit it to Staples again (or others like 60 minute Photo Lab on Yonge & Eglinton), what do you recommend:
8x10 in 300dpi I cropped it ending up in about 8 Mpixels (is this good enough or should I scale it up to 20 Mpixels)
sRGB or AdobeRGB (you already mentioned sRGB, but I am sending a file of the image so why should it not be AdobeRGB?
Output image setting with icc profile from darktable or perpetual intent, relative colorimeter intent, saturation intent, absolute colorimeter intent ?
File format is jpeg 8 bit 100% or should I use PNG or tiff formats? There is also jpeg200 (12 bit)

Thanks for your help.

Also any comment on 60 minute Photo Lab? Are they good. They cost double the price of Satples.
First thing I would do is ask the people at Staples about the the colour space the image should be in for their printing service. I spent about 5 minutes browsing their print services website and was unable to find any mention of what colour spaces they can handle. They maybe only have a setup to handle images for your average mom & dad phone shooter and not a sophisticated hobbyist.

If they can't answer or seem to lack comprehension of embedded colour spaces then I'd look for another printer in your area.

You could also have them print the image straight from the camera with out editing if it is a JPEG. Compare to the one previous to check if something in your editing process is skewing the imge to the dark side.

Next I would save one in the sRGB space and have them print it.

You may have your brightness at 30% but have you measured your screen brightness with your colorimeter? What is it's cd/m2 (aka nits)

Have you used your colorimeter to measure the brightness of the room? Many offer this feature.

What you want to do is have the monitor brightness match the ambient light of the room you do your serious editing in.

Sorry, I'm in Vancouver. Don't think 60 minute Photo Lab is out here.

I used to send my enlargements to Costco and they did a great job. But Costco doesn't print anymore.

Oct 12, 2007
934 posts
550 upvotes
Vancouver
nielboy wrote: I've been looking at CanvasChamp for a metal print because they are one of the few companies that does custom sizes.

Yeah, I looked at a thorough Youtube video review, and CanvasChamp is definitely not quality. They are cheap, so you get what you pay for.
Feb 16, 2016
832 posts
389 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
Bestcanvas on their website mention ''Huge New Year's Sale'' but there's no sale. Anyone know if there is a sale coming tomorrow? I want to place a big order and saving 30%+ would be amazing!
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3320 posts
897 upvotes
Ancaster
Does anyone have any recent feedback regarding BestCanvas.ca ?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)