• Aug 16th, 2021 12:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1311 posts
289 upvotes

Recommend a desktop deal for older parents upgrade

Hey guys

I'm visiting my parents out of town at the moment, and it's time to upgrade their ~10yr old staples deal computer I recommended from here a long while ago :) (Which was only $200, thanks :) ) I'd like to find something for them again if I can. We're in the Okanagan and I'd like buy rather than build. My prefs are ~16G , SSD, decent CPU, maybe like Ryzen 5?
Ideally I think 500 - 600 before tax would be an easy sell. If you know of a good desktop deal for them, please let me know! If the SSD is a deal breaker, that could be an addon that I upgrade separately, as I know often times SSDs only come with higher end boxes.

Thanks,
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8353 posts
4064 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Depending on the computer's upgradability and what your parents are/will use the computer for, there may be plenty of service life left for not much money. SSD to replace the Winchester (128GB for OS and applications is plenty) and more RAM (6-8GB total) and it should be good for several more years.

I have several computers getting up to 10 years (or more) and they're all serviceable for my needs. The ones limited to 4 GB are somewhat slow but anything that has 8 GB works fine with Win 10 (even 21H1).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
2550 posts
1716 upvotes
Grande Prairie AB
bluenote wrote: Hey guys

I'm visiting my parents out of town at the moment, and it's time to upgrade their ~10yr old staples deal computer I recommended from here a long while ago :) (Which was only $200, thanks :) ) I'd like to find something for them again if I can. We're in the Okanagan and I'd like buy rather than build. My prefs are ~16G , SSD, decent CPU, maybe like Ryzen 5?
Ideally I think 500 - 600 before tax would be an easy sell. If you know of a good desktop deal for them, please let me know! If the SSD is a deal breaker, that could be an addon that I upgrade separately, as I know often times SSDs only come with higher end boxes.

Thanks,
PM'd you.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
I'm still rocking an ivy bridge computer from about 10 years ago as my gaming machine. 8 to 16gb RAM and an SSD will make your old system scream again.

I just updated a family members 7 year old Asus K55A (ivy Bridge mobile CPU) laptop to an SSD and 8gb of ram, its a brand new machine.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4920 posts
1950 upvotes
What's the spec of the old computer? Most "Core i " cpus from the past decade is still pretty capable as a basic web surfing machine. Like others mentioned, just throw a SSD in there and you'll be off to the races, even 8gb ram would do.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1311 posts
289 upvotes
It's an amd a6 5200, cpu mark 1600
I upgraded one of these that I had and it still wasn't really tolerable imo.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
bluenote wrote: It's an amd a6 5200, cpu mark 1600
I upgraded one of these that I had and it still wasn't really tolerable imo.
Isn't that a laptop cpu? Is the computer using a dedicated GPU or the IGPU?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
Normally I'd look to Dell in this price range but nothing currently.
I'd go new instead of refurbished.
The source usually have deals on proprietary but sell out quickly.
Staples also have deals on proprietary brands like Acer.
I'd pay a bit more and get some thing non proprietary like this though.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=196751

ARMOURY PC AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G 3.7GHz with Radeon Graphics 16GB RAM 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD WiFi 500W PSU Windows 10 Home
Brand: Armoury
$699.00

Mini Pc's like these are not too bad for what you need them for either.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=194021

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=180710

MSI Cubi 5 10M-066US Mini PC, Intel Core i5-10210U, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Windows 10 Home
Brand: MSI
Was: $899.00
$649.00
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
Thats a weak system and really limited on the upgradability...

I'm not one to suggest dumping older tech when you can toss in an SSD + RAM to bring some life back to it but this one really pushes the line. An SSD and 4 extra gigs of ram will make it snappier but the CPU and IGPU will really bottleneck the system. You said that you upgraded one of these, what did you add?

What do your parents use the system for?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1311 posts
289 upvotes
I think you're misunderstanding, I did upgrade one I had with Ram and SSD, and while it helped, it wasn't enough to make it viable imo. So that's why I'm looking for a new purchase. I'm saying this in part for all the "you should upgrade it" responses.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23432 posts
5442 upvotes
Toronto
iamsiege wrote: PM'd you.
OP - the one that @iamsiege is selling is decent for the price of $475..........not sure what shipping will cost to Okanagan

dell-xps-special-edition-8940-bnib-475-2482598/
Dell XPS Special Edition 8940 BNIB $475

500W Mineral White Bezel Chassis
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400 processor(6-Core, 12M Cache, 2.6GHz to 4.4GHz) c/w Intel® UHD Graphics 730
16GB DDR4 2933MHz
512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
Killer(TM) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i (2x2) 802.11ax Wireless and Bluetooth 5.1
Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
Comes with white Dell wired mouse/keyboard
Windows 10 Home

Warranty is tracked by the service tag and can be transferred to you easily on Dell's website.
The good thing with this is you get the Dell warranty (not sure how much warranty is left) - EDIT - iamseige confirmed 11 months remaining warranty.

The Dell will smoke your parent's PC & will handle pretty much whatever they throw at it - unless they are hardcore gamers!

The downsides are it uses a proprietary PSU - so if that thing craps out, it might be costly to replace. However, you do have the Dell warranty piece of mind for 11months.

**NOTE - I don't know iamsiege but he has been on RFD since 2017 with positive feedback. I personally haven't dealt with him.**
Last edited by ji2o0k on Aug 16th, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
2550 posts
1716 upvotes
Grande Prairie AB
ji2o0k wrote: OP - the one that @iamsiege is selling is decent for the price of $475..........not sure what shipping will cost to Okanagan

dell-xps-special-edition-8940-bnib-475-2482598/

The good thing with this is you get the Dell warranty (not sure how much warranty is left) - should be 2 or 3 more years.

The Dell will smoke your parent's PC & will handle pretty much whatever they throw at it - unless they are hardcore gamers!

The downsides are it uses a proprietary PSU - so if that thing craps out, it might be costly to replace. However, you do have the Dell warranty piece of mind for a couple of yrs at least - by that time, it might be worth it to get a new PC.

**NOTE - I don't know iamsiege but he has been on RFD since 2017 with positive feedback. I personally haven't dealt with him.**
I PM'd him with this info, still shows "unread" in my inbox. The warranty on these units is about 11 months left, Dell warranty on monitors is 3 years but their systems are only 1 year standard unless you buy extended warranty which are usually crazy expensive. I added some pics on my BST thread, you can fit up to a 3070 in this system it has a PCI-E x16 slot and 2 PCI-E connectors on the power supply to power it, I opened up the one I am keeping for my wife to have a look.
Last edited by iamsiege on Aug 16th, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
bluenote wrote: I think you're misunderstanding, I did upgrade one I had with Ram and SSD, and while it helped, it wasn't enough to make it viable imo. So that's why I'm looking for a new purchase. I'm saying this in part for all the "you should upgrade it" responses.
There are good prices to be had on dell units that people bought to harvest the GPU. Probably your best bet right now.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23432 posts
5442 upvotes
Toronto
iamsiege wrote: I PM'd him with this info, still shows "unread" in my inbox. The warranty on these units is about 11 months left, Dell warranty on monitors is 3 years but their systems are only 1 year standard unless you buy extended warranty which are usually crazy expensive. I added some pics on my BST thread, you can fit up to a 3070 in this system it has a PCI-E x16 slot and 2 PCI-E connectors on the power supply to power it, I opened up the one I am keeping for my wife to have a look.
thx for clarifying! I've edited my original post to include 11 months warranty left. I'd say yours is a very good price for what you are getting.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
2550 posts
1716 upvotes
Grande Prairie AB
ji2o0k wrote: thx for clarifying! I've edited my original post to include 11 months warranty left. I'd say yours is a very good price for what you are getting.
I just picked Kelowna for address and with insurance and COD charge shipping is $55, so $475 + $55 = $530, should be in the ballpark anywhere in BC really.