• May 14th, 2021 12:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2767 posts
1951 upvotes
Parksville, BC

Recommend a drone for roof inspection

I am at that age where ladders are no fun anymore so I would like to get a drone to inspect my roof and gutters and maybe blow some of the debris on the roof away with the rotor wash. Not looking to spend more than $200. Any recommendations?
20 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9966 upvotes
Edmonton
I wouldn’t count on doing any debris removal with the prop wash.

I’ve got a Tello drone that would work for taking video. It was around $120. Or Holy stone sells more on Amazon.

C
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
10140 posts
4420 upvotes
Vaughan
Make sure your neighbours are ok with this. Otherwise you may get a visit from police. :)
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20782 posts
6257 upvotes
GTA
Perhaps buy one off Kijiji and sell it afterwards? Or contact someone selling one locally and offer them some money to have them use it for an hour.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2767 posts
1951 upvotes
Parksville, BC
My house is surrounded by forest so the neighbours can go f--- themselves Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes I would like to have one I can use periodically over the year so borrowing or renting is no an option really. Kijjiji doesn't have much for sale in my area.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1403 posts
1451 upvotes
ON
I got the Tello boost combo for $135 a couple of years ago and use it about twice a year to inspect my shingles. I don’t have experience with any other drones but like the fact that in Tello I can watch the video live on my phone.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7069 posts
2691 upvotes
Canada
Any ali express drones for under 100bux will give you a FOV/POV view of the roof on your phone. None of them will clean it. A friend of mine had a heavy 8lb drone with a real camera and when I was there to help him test it it didn't move much of the stuff from the ground and that was a big ass drone that was like $3K
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
6219 posts
7395 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dazz wrote: Any ali express drones for under 100bux will give you a FOV/POV view of the roof on your phone. None of them will clean it. A friend of mine had a heavy 8lb drone with a real camera and when I was there to help him test it it didn't move much of the stuff from the ground and that was a big ass drone that was like $3K
Don't go too cheap though. I bought a small $30 drone and smashed it pretty soon after a few flights. They can't hover in place and are difficult to control. I can see one easily crashing into the roof.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6419 posts
6855 upvotes
GTA
flopticalcube wrote: My house is surrounded by forest so the neighbours can go f--- themselves Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes I would like to have one I can use periodically over the year so borrowing or renting is no an option really. Kijjiji doesn't have much for sale in my area.
Then you definitely need a gutter check lol
Any random Amazon drone for $150-200 is probably good enough for your needs. But whatever you end up getting, practice flying for a while before attempting to check the roof. You don't want to have it get blown or swerve off into the trees. I had that happen years ago, and killed the motors.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7212 posts
4883 upvotes
SW ON
teoconca wrote: Make sure your neighbours are ok with this. Otherwise you may get a visit from police. :)
What is police going to do? Fine the neighbors? Drones under 200 g are legal to fly without licence. I am flying them on my property. Why would I even think about neighbors? It's like asking neighbors if it's OK if I cut my grass.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
2006 posts
188 upvotes
Newmarket
alpovs wrote: What is police going to do? Fine the neighbors? Drones under 200 g are legal to fly without licence. I am flying them on my property. Why would I even think about neighbors? It's like asking neighbors if it's OK if I cut my grass.
They are legal as long as less than 250g including propeller guard. No guard and flying over people, you will be charged.
Jul 4, 2006
48 posts
15 upvotes
Markham
I wish I could fly mine over my property. GTA has so many red zones. I see so many parents' taking their kids to fly them in my area and its clearly marked as no flight zones.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7212 posts
4883 upvotes
SW ON
ancnfamily wrote: They are legal as long as less than 250g including propeller guard. No guard and flying over people, you will be charged.
250g is even better. Such small toy drones almost always are sold with propeller guards. The original question was about inspecting the roof. I would be upset if people walked on my roof :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7212 posts
4883 upvotes
SW ON
MaxGor wrote: I wish I could fly mine over my property. GTA has so many red zones. I see so many parents' taking their kids to fly them in my area and its clearly marked as no flight zones.
I think drones under 250g are exempt from no-fly zones. Someone, please correct me if I am wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6419 posts
6855 upvotes
GTA
alpovs wrote: I think drones under 250g are exempt from no-fly zones. Someone, please correct me if I am wrong.
There is a weight category that is exempt, can't remember exact weight, but about 200-250g.
Problem with those drones is they usually aren't great for checking roofs, too small and light with smaller motors and more likely to get blown around by a gust of wind. But considering where the OP seems to be situated, he can probably get a heftier drone and no one will care.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2010
1236 posts
826 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I know OP says under $200...just wanted to state that this is exactly why I bought my Mavic Mini. The wind issue is not as bad with a good drone. I started off practicing on a $70 drone from Amazon and that thing would topple over if I breathed on it. OK, an exaggeration, but it did not hold up well when I got it into air flow from my table fan.

If you get a sub-$200 drone, I would recommend only taking it out on sunny non-windy days.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
3801 posts
3189 upvotes
Southern Ontario
When I needed to do something on my roof, I called one of my buddies and he went up there like it was nothing and the cost was Zero.

I do feel the OP's pain as I too don't like heights and I'm no longer a youngster. I have a 30ft antenna tower I want to climb to put my new antenna at higher elevation (plus take down the broken one), but of course... it's been a year and haven't garnered the stones to do it.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26924 posts
11358 upvotes
Socially Distanced
alpovs wrote: It's like asking neighbors if it's OK if I cut my grass.
Your neighbour says no.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2328 posts
1690 upvotes
GTA
I've used a Mavi Mini to inspect my roof.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2767 posts
1951 upvotes
Parksville, BC
I may be moving towards spending a little more money. I might do some more research. Thx for all the input.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)