Computers & Electronics

Recommend good anti-virus / firewall software on PC?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2021 5:57 pm
[OP]
Sep 25, 2020
183 posts
89 upvotes

Recommend good anti-virus / firewall software on PC?

Hi,

I'm not really a computer expert but I've had kaspersky, Bitdefender and now McAfee LifeSafe.

I know nothing is 100% secure but having something is better than nothing. I am also very careful and rarely click on any fishy links from emails. I also rarely download as well.

Any recommendation which one is good to protect my PC?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1720 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
If you're on Windows, use the Windows firewall/anti-virus, perform regular system/security updates and practice safe computing (no clicking on links, etc.). I don't see the need for an additional security product.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8432 posts
3010 upvotes
Maple
Windows has more than sufficient software for firewall/anti-virus/malware, Windows Defender. It’s free with updates.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6142 posts
2667 upvotes
Debtario
+1 for the built in windows defender AV, free and does the job. This is assuming you are running windows 10.

For firewall, comodo free firewall is quite powerful if you know what you are doing.

I run Symantec Endpoint Protection, only because I get it free through work though if you google around for it it's easy to come by for "free" - no licensing and never expires.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8676 posts
5635 upvotes
Toronto
Windows Defender with an occasional Malwarebytes free version scan is all you need
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1563 posts
1866 upvotes
BC
As a first line of defense, do your web browsing in a sandbox, eg. Sandboxie.

A sandbox is a segregated space on your system that prevent programs from executing inside the sandbox and making changes to the rest of the system. If there are any issues you just delete the Sandbox and create a new one.

YouTube video on how to surf using Sandboxie

You still need an anti-virus program to check downloaded files and Windows Defender does a pretty good job.
Feb 9, 2008
341 posts
283 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Windows Firewall is plenty for (firewall) security, just that it doesn't have nice alerts and controls, plus outgoing not enabled by default.
Get Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control (free) which adds those features.
Windows Defender for antivirus. Download Malwarebytes free for manual scanning.
Dec 7, 2013
72 posts
17 upvotes
Brampton
Windows Defender + AD Block + Routine MalwareBytes Scan = all you need
May 9, 2019
40 posts
12 upvotes
Montreal, QC
WetCoastGuy wrote: As a first line of defense, do your web browsing in a sandbox, eg. Sandboxie.

A sandbox is a segregated space on your system that prevent programs from executing inside the sandbox and making changes to the rest of the system. If there are any issues you just delete the Sandbox and create a new one.

YouTube video on how to surf using Sandboxie

You still need an anti-virus program to check downloaded files and Windows Defender does a pretty good job.
Beware, the up-to-date and open source Sandboxie Plus website is https://sandboxie-plus.com/ since it's open source. WetCoastGuy's Sandboxie link is old. It took me some time to figure it out.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2820 posts
845 upvotes
Toronto
Kaspersky or Bitdefender
and
Setting the DNS in the router/pc to use Quad9
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1747 posts
1231 upvotes
thunit wrote: Beware, the up-to-date and open source Sandboxie Plus website is https://sandboxie-plus.com/ since it's open source. WetCoastGuy's Sandboxie link is old. It took me some time to figure it out.
The classic version of the plus also runs faster.
[OP]
Sep 25, 2020
183 posts
89 upvotes
Currently, I have McAfee LiveSafe. It seems like it does a good job so far even though I don't what it does.

"We protected you from 521 risky connections".
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2743 posts
2077 upvotes
Markham
canada85000 wrote: Currently, I have McAfee LiveSafe. It seems like it does a good job so far even though I don't what it does.

"We protected you from 521 risky connections".
Throw out McAfee, it is the weakest of the anti-virus software to the point its paid version is worst than the other's free versions. Literally no point in using it when Windows Defender which comes with Windows 10 is a better choice.

Interesting note with McAfee is, the man who founded it, John McAfee thinks poorly of the software, do note he left the company in the early 90s.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6670 posts
2367 upvotes
Vancouver
I absolutely love Eset Security. Anyone saying Win Defender is all you need just doesn't get security! Maybe compared to free garbage-ware antiviruses, but not when compared to premium options and Eset is as premium as it gets
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3241 posts
1992 upvotes
SW ON
dazz wrote: I absolutely love Eset Security. Anyone saying Win Defender is all you need just doesn't get security! Maybe compared to free garbage-ware antiviruses, but not when compared to premium options and Eset is as premium as it gets
Would you care to elaborate in more technical terms?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6670 posts
2367 upvotes
Vancouver
alpovs wrote: Would you care to elaborate in more technical terms?
It's a complicated subject to explain without wasting my time. I am sure if you google, there are more than enough blogss, videos, articles, covering the very same question, without me repeating it. There's so much more to security than windows defender.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...