3067 posts
1220 upvotes

Recommend me a reliable UPS for my unRAID server

UnRAID specs:
Intel i5 8500T
4x 8TB WD white label drives
1000W Corsair PSU platinum
Onboard GPU

So far this month I have experienced 5 power outages. Need a reliable UPS for my server and wifi modem. Any suggestions? Would like my unRAID to shut down automatically but also my wifi modem to powered on for the duration of the power outage.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2738 posts
1651 upvotes
Ontario
APC makes some good stuff. Get a real sine wave one. Don't buy something used/with refurb battery...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38386 posts
12009 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Your UnRAID server draws less than 200 Watts at full load.

Bit of an over kill using a 1000 Watt power supply

Get a 1500 VA CyberPower UPS
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2020
1403 posts
1684 upvotes
Pretty much any UPS with a USB interface can be used to trigger an automatic shutdown.

It's tricky to size a UPS for two loads with different runtime requirements as manufacturer sizing calculators assume all connected loads need the same runtime. I don't have time to type up a sizing how-to right now; hopefully someone else will chime in. If not, I'll try to remember to type something up tomorrow.

At a minimum, get a Kill-A-Watt (or equivalent) energy meter and measure how many watts your server uses. Separately, measure how many watts your modem (and any other network infrastructure) uses. Multiply these figures by 25%. Add the totals and this will tell you how many watts the UPS must provide. Use a manufacturer UPS sizing calculator, such as this one, to find a UPS with at least as much output power as your load requirements.

As for runtime, how long do your power outages usually last? If you're looking at more than a few hours, a generator is probably a better option.

Also: are you sure your ISP's infrastructure will keep running during an outage? If you have cable or fibre, you're SOL (either immediately or after a short time) even if your modem has power. xDSL usually stays up longer but this isn't a given.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
IcarusLSC wrote: APC makes some good stuff. Get a real sine wave one. Don't buy something used/with refurb battery...
There is absolutely no reason to pay extra for a pure sine wave UPS. Pure sine wave is only needed for inductive loads such as motors. Pulsed power supplies in PCs work well from the dirtiest power by their design principle, even DC.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
Gee wrote: Your UnRAID server draws less than 200 Watts at full load.

Yes, high power power supplies usually have low efficiency at low loads, so OP, you are wasting some energy to heat.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2738 posts
1651 upvotes
Ontario
alpovs wrote: There is absolutely no reason to pay extra for a pure sine wave UPS. Pure sine wave is only needed for inductive loads such as motors. Pulsed power supplies in PCs work well from the dirtiest power by their design principle, even DC.
I've had a few power supplies 'buzz' over the years not using a pure sine wave UPS when on battery power (though many do make noise anyways on battery). If it doesn't buzz you'll be fine though, just a precaution, some power supplies can be damaged...
Last edited by IcarusLSC on Jun 28th, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
IcarusLSC wrote: I've had a few power supplies 'buzz' over the years not using a pure sine wave UPS. If it doesn't buzz you'll be fine though, just a precaution...
Don't your UPS's buzz when they are on battery? All of my UPS's do. Then one more buzzing device wouldn't matter. Maybe my power supplies also buzz but I don't hear it with the buzzing UPS. In case your power supply buzzes when the UPS is not on battery then it's not related to the UPS because when power is not interrupted it goes through the UPS unchanged.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
3067 posts
1220 upvotes
Gee wrote: Your UnRAID server draws less than 200 Watts at full load.

Get a 1500 VA CyberPower UPS
Only reason I have a 1000w PSU is because I used to use my unRAID server as a gaming PC as well.
Feb 5, 2004
979 posts
89 upvotes
If you want the Unraid server to shutdown, you need a UPS which has a USB data connection. Unraid has UPS Settings section where you can configure if/when the server will shutdown after a power failure.

Unraid natively used an APC protocol to communicate with a UPS, so APC is a safe bet, but the protocol works with many other brands as well.

I use this one which came with an USB to RJ45 wire that connects to the back of the UPS.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1549 posts
70 upvotes
I’m using the one from Costco with my unraid server. 1500va @ 900watts capacity. My unraid picked it up no problem and it has paid for itself multiple times (ie power outage during parity sync).

You can set unraid to power down after x minutes of power loss. And your Network devices can stay in until you run out of juice.

FYI The 1500va has been working really well with my unraid setup so based on what you mentioned for yours, it’ll work fine too.
Ryzen 3800x
750 watt psu
1060 for transcode
3070ti for gaming vm
11 disc array

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)