• Sep 25th, 2020 1:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9910 posts
1814 upvotes
Toronto

Recommend me a smart watch with ECG or EKG

hi all, sorry a little lazy to search and read. My aunt has a irregular heartbeat, so she'd like to get a smart watch that can show ECG or EKG. And I'm guessing it will also beep if its really abnormal right?

From googling, I find the choices are below, I'm leaning towards Apple watch, since I trust their R&D and with millions of users to complain if things go wrong. She uses a Samsung Galaxy S8 right now, so that's maybe something to consider? Or will Apple watch still work fine?

Thank you all. Oh ya, let's say MONEY is no object. She's retired, has money to spend haha.

The list of smartwatches that currently include an ECG are the following:
Apple Watch Series 4.
Apple Watch Series 5.
Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 3.
Fitbit Sense.
Withings ScanWatch.
Withings Move ECG.
Amazfit Smartwatch 2.
18 replies
Mar 8, 2004
820 posts
326 upvotes
Brampton
iPhone or android?

Sorry. Read that she has an S8. Apple Watch only works on iPhones.

I would not recommend Withings. Not sure about Amazfit on Android. It wasn’t great on iOS.

I know a lot of people who love their fitbits. Don’t know anyone with Samsung’s
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
2932 posts
121 upvotes
Waterloo
Apple Watch Series 6 and a new smartphone that's an iPhone.
:arrow: :arrowl:
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1942 posts
1063 upvotes
Calgary
Also note that just because a watch has ECG support doesn’t mean it’ll automatically work up here in Canada. Things like that need to be approved by Health Canada first (we saw it when the Apple Watch 4 came out). Obviously all future Apple watches are automatically supported, but your options may be limited on Android (I haven’t checked).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9910 posts
1814 upvotes
Toronto
Devhux wrote: Also note that just because a watch has ECG support doesn’t mean it’ll automatically work up here in Canada. Things like that need to be approved by Health Canada first (we saw it when the Apple Watch 4 came out). Obviously all future Apple watches are automatically supported, but your options may be limited on Android (I haven’t checked).
I read that as well somewhere so how do I know if Apple watch 6 would work ?

can I check somewhere?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1942 posts
1063 upvotes
Calgary
rfdrfd wrote: I read that as well somewhere so how do I know if Apple watch 6 would work ?

can I check somewhere?
Apple has already been approved so their future smart watches likely are too (there wasn’t any delay for the ECG on the Series 5).

Not sure if there’s a list but searching shows me the Galaxy Watch 3 ECG wont work in Canada yet, so I’m guessing you’ll be limited with the other options as well.
Aug 14, 2011
351 posts
100 upvotes
Calgary
I have an Apple watch with ECG and it has sent me to the hospital on several occasions with heartbeat issues. Well worth the investment in my mind!
Nov 25, 2009
425 posts
161 upvotes
Terrace
Galaxy watch 3 for the Android option
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1621 posts
302 upvotes
BC
SAVINGSTAR wrote: I have an Apple watch with ECG and it has sent me to the hospital on several occasions with heartbeat issues. Well worth the investment in my mind!
My gf was having rapid heartbeat. The Apple watch 5 ECG was accepted by the physician in the ER and showed to be as accurate as the hospital equipment. The Doc was impressed. My old Uncle has one. The Watch 5 detected his fall down the stairs & dispatched an ambulance. His $70 /month Lifeline did not even detect the fall. I'm impressed with my Watch 5.
If you tell the truth you don’t have to remember anything. – Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1942 posts
1063 upvotes
Calgary
lawonga wrote: Galaxy watch 3 for the Android option
Haven't seen anything online showing the ECG function is available for Canada yet.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9910 posts
1814 upvotes
Toronto
SAVINGSTAR wrote: I have an Apple watch with ECG and it has sent me to the hospital on several occasions with heartbeat issues. Well worth the investment in my mind!
If you don't mind please share more details.

So I can convince my Aunt and Uncle that this watch is useful.

My uncle is the typical why spend money type of person. Like what's wrong with my big Toshiba CRT TV??

My Aunt is more happy to spend $$$
Aug 14, 2011
351 posts
100 upvotes
Calgary
rfdrfd wrote: If you don't mind please share more details.

So I can convince my Aunt and Uncle that this watch is useful.

My uncle is the typical why spend money type of person. Like what's wrong with my big Toshiba CRT TV??

My Aunt is more happy to spend $$$
My heart tends to go out of rhythm and will beat irregularly. Going and sitting in the emergency for 4 hours for them to tell me I am fine is quite annoying. So with the Apple Watch (I have a 4 purchased in the US so it had ECG, not available in Canada when I purchased) I can do a quick ecg if I am feeling weird and it will tell me my heart has gone out of rhythm.

My watch will not notify me on it's own that my heart is out of rhythm as I am a special case and it tricks the watch and my heart won't set the notification, but It does provide me enough details that I run an ECG on my own and it will come back inconclusive then I know time to head to the hospital.

Because of the medication I take, I have it set to notify me if my heart is beating too slow, so I know to get up and move around.

It's a lot of money $600, but for me it is well worth it cause of all my issues. The last thing I want to do is go into the hospital just to be sent home, having the watch prevents me from wasting time and keeps me protected from dangerous heart rhythms.

That's worth it to me, might not be worth it for everybody.