Computers & Electronics

recommend mini PC

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2018 2:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 30, 2003
3372 posts
188 upvotes

recommend mini PC

I'm looking for a mini PC/desktop upgrade since I'm getting a new 4K TV. I'm not gaming, just watching videos and downloading/streaming 4K is the most intensive application for this PC. looking for:

- pre-built
- ethernet port
- small and quiet
- windows OS
- support 4K @ 60 Hz, I think this requires HDMI 2.0?

I think that is about it! I've current got a big mid-tower that won't support 4K, so that is the main reason for the upgrade. I've been out of the loop on PCs for a while but I used to build my own years ago. too lazy for that now!
8 replies
Sr. Member
Oct 26, 2006
585 posts
63 upvotes
East GTA - Durham Re…
Nvidia 1050 or a recent intel system. Kaby or Coffee
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5785 posts
807 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: Playback isn't hard, if you want 4K at 60FPS any i5 and 1050 or greater GPU will work.

If you want 4K and something else, like HDR or 3D or VR or whatever, then go totally overkill with a 1060 6GB or greater and don't worry about it for a decade.
justmehereajax wrote: Nvidia 1050 or a recent intel system. Kaby or Coffee
Combine the 2 ;) "Any Intel Kaby Lake/Gemini Lake (or newer) and/or NVidia 1050 (or higher) will work" as they have the necessary hardware decoders built in to fully offload 4K decoding. NVidia 1030 will also work as long as you don't want to watch Netflix 4K DRM Content.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 30, 2003
3372 posts
188 upvotes
tkyoshi wrote: Combine the 2 ;) "Any Intel Kaby Lake/Gemini Lake (or newer) and/or NVidia 1050 (or higher) will work" as they have the necessary hardware decoders built in to fully offload 4K decoding. NVidia 1030 will also work as long as you don't want to watch Netflix 4K DRM Content.
what we would the best to support Netflix 4K DRM and 4K HDR? I honestly didn't really know about HDR, it looks like the TV I want does support it but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $ on the PC end, since there doesn't seem to be a lot of content. I might be better off to go no HDR and then upgrade in 3-5 years when content is better?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5785 posts
807 upvotes
rilhouse wrote: what we would the best to support Netflix 4K DRM and 4K HDR? I honestly didn't really know about HDR, it looks like the TV I want does support it but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $ on the PC end, since there doesn't seem to be a lot of content. I might be better off to go no HDR and then upgrade in 3-5 years when content is better?
Basically would be the same setup minus the Gemini Lake (no HDR Support). So Intel HD 620 (or better) or nVidia 1050 (or better). AMD currently has no support for Netflix 4K and also lacks VP9 decode hardware.
Last edited by tkyoshi on Jun 12th, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Oct 26, 2006
585 posts
63 upvotes
East GTA - Durham Re…
tkyoshi wrote: Basically would be the same setup minus the Gemini Lake (no HDR Support). So Intel HD 6xx series or nVidia 1050 or better. AMD currently has no support for Netflix 4K and also lacks VP9 decode hardware.
amD SHOULD be releasing a driver that will support 4K netflix. RX 4xx + supports VP9
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5785 posts
807 upvotes
justmehereajax wrote: amD SHOULD be releasing a driver that will support 4K netflix. RX 4xx + supports VP9
Polaris was *supposed* to support Hybrid (GPU Assisted) VP9 decode, but AMD could never get it to work, it was (quietly) removed late last year.

Run DXVA Checker on your RX4/5 series card and you'll see the entry for VP9 no longer exists in any recent drivers, so you're stuck with pure software decode.

And yes AMD Netflix as you mentioned actually just dropped within the last month so yeah I guess it's available now but the lack of VP9 is still a turnoff considering it's the main YouTube codec.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 30, 2003
3372 posts
188 upvotes
Cool thanks, so looks like this will support Netflix 4K DRM and HDR then. I didn't really want to spend more then $500 but seems like this will be good for a while. I have a SSD that I'll add as well likely.

Intel Core i5-7400 3.0 GHz + Intel HD Graphics 630

http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-749547-106 ... &sid=rfdcb

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)