Sports & Recreation

Recommend an online retailer for commuter bikes?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2020 12:32 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2609 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto

Recommend an online retailer for commuter bikes?

I don’t feel like going in person to a shop.. does anyone have any recommendations for shopping online? I’m looking for a commuter bike to get to and from work and do groceries.
13 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11823 posts
6885 upvotes
Markham
Kiraly wrote: I know you don't want to go in person, but seriously you should. Fit is super important if you're going to enjoy your bike, and that's really hard to get right without being able to try the bike out before you buy it.
Very true

And better go to Bike shop instead of sportchek
Jan 3, 2009
96 posts
35 upvotes
London
smartie wrote: Very true

And better go to Bike shop instead of sportchek
whats wrong with sportcheck bikes? ive been looking at the GT Avalanche Elite.. is this any good?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
4970 posts
1504 upvotes
Toronto
mollytp wrote: whats wrong with sportcheck bikes? ive been looking at the GT Avalanche Elite.. is this any good?
Usually, the quality of bikes are better at bike shop and it's been put together by more experience mechanics. If you buy the GT bike from Sportchek, after riding around for a couple months and you like, then it's all good. But if you're asking for a more experience advice, most of us here would tell you to go to a bike shop.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1880 posts
2116 upvotes
mollytp wrote: whats wrong with sportcheck bikes? ive been looking at the GT Avalanche Elite.. is this any good?
Nothing wrong with the bikes themselves, GT makes good ones but more about the assembly of them. It is a general sporting goods store so depending upon the person serving you, their knowledge may not be that great. The people putting the bikes together are generally part-time workers who also may not have as much knowledge or experience as someone in a bike store.
Jan 3, 2009
96 posts
35 upvotes
London
maple1 wrote: Nothing wrong with the bikes themselves, GT makes good ones but more about the assembly of them. It is a general sporting goods store so depending upon the person serving you, their knowledge may not be that great. The people putting the bikes together are generally part-time workers who also may not have as much knowledge or experience as someone in a bike store.
Only downside with the bike stores is you have no clue what stock each store carries as there online catalogues are usually very bare or null.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
4970 posts
1504 upvotes
Toronto
mollytp wrote: Only downside with the bike stores is you have no clue what stock each store carries as there online catalogues are usually very bare or null.
Yes, that's true. Most stores are sold out of their mid range to low end bikes. They won't be stocked again till August. Cycling is a boom business this year.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1880 posts
2116 upvotes
mollytp wrote: Only downside with the bike stores is you have no clue what stock each store carries as there online catalogues are usually very bare or null.
That is true although you can always call them. A friend of mine who has a lot of riding experience and does his own bike repairs as looking at getting a GT a little while back. He wanted to do the assembly himself as he didn't really trust the people there to take the same care that he would but apparently the warranty is void if Sportcheck doesn't do the assembly. An alternative, is to take the bike to a bike store to reassembly the bike or at least look at it. Additional cost and step but just putting it out there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2609 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: I know you don't want to go in person, but seriously you should. Fit is super important if you're going to enjoy your bike, and that's really hard to get right without being able to try the bike out before you buy it.
What kind of things are there to consider with fit if you don't mind me asking? I thought it was just a matter of how tall you are, but I guess not?
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
13825 posts
17947 upvotes
Vancouver
There are so many variables with frame geometry. Even if each bike you try has standard 2" of stand-over clearance between your crotch and the top tube, different bikes will have different wheelbases (distance between front and rear hubs), chainstay lengths, head and seat tube angles, handlebar positioning limits, and other factors I'm sure I'm forgetting. One bike will feel completely different than another, even if they're built for the same height of rider. And then also consider that different riders of the same height will have different measurements. Long-legs-short-torso, short-legs-long-torso, etc. And then there's riding style. Do you like to go fast and prefer a more aerodynamic, hunched over riding position? Or are you more of a cruiser and like to sit upright? The only sure way to find the right fit is to try different bikes out and see what works for you. A good bike shop will understand all of this and work with you to get it right.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11823 posts
6885 upvotes
Markham
Could someone recommend a good used bikes store in Markham, Richmond hill?

When I worked in office before pandemic, I visited ride away bike in dundas and it's pretty good, but now, certainly I don't just drive there for a bike purchase

Thanks
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
3078 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: Could someone recommend a good used bikes store in Markham, Richmond hill?

When I worked in office before pandemic, I visited ride away bike in dundas and it's pretty good, but now, certainly I don't just drive there for a bike purchase

Thanks
I was at their newest location looking for a bike because I wanted something better than your average big box stores, they also had quite a selection of bikes / accessories ( no used bikes ) for sale with their entry level bike starting at $500. If i can recall the bike was a Brodie hybrid which I am not familiar with so if anyone can chime on the brand it would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8575 posts
2347 upvotes
Mississauga
Kiraly wrote: There are so many variables with frame geometry. Even if each bike you try has standard 2" of stand-over clearance between your crotch and the top tube, different bikes will have different wheelbases (distance between front and rear hubs), chainstay lengths, head and seat tube angles, handlebar positioning limits, and other factors I'm sure I'm forgetting. One bike will feel completely different than another, even if they're built for the same height of rider. And then also consider that different riders of the same height will have different measurements. Long-legs-short-torso, short-legs-long-torso, etc. And then there's riding style. Do you like to go fast and prefer a more aerodynamic, hunched over riding position? Or are you more of a cruiser and like to sit upright? The only sure way to find the right fit is to try different bikes out and see what works for you. A good bike shop will understand all of this and work with you to get it right.
Great advice ty.