• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2019 3:54 pm
[OP]
Jun 24, 2018
98 posts
16 upvotes
Brampton

Recommend plants to keep inside the porch enclosure

I ahve quite a lot of empty space inside my entry door porch enclosure. To increase the visual appeal, I'd want to add few prenennial plants which can survive canadian winters and summers. What do you guys recommend? Mostly one big plant, in a big panter box or combo in a big planter box, in a corner.

Edit: added pics to get some perspective around the space. It's almost 10ft by 6ft and I am thinking of putting one in the vacant corner.
Images
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
Last edited by mystic_dreamer on Dec 17th, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3459 posts
1219 upvotes
Ottawa
What are the minimum and maximum temperatures each day? You could put a dwarf evergreen, or young cedar, in a planter, as long as it gets some sun, gets some water, and there isn't too extreme a temperature range.

I wouldn't keep any plant in an enclosed porch in summer.
[OP]
Jun 24, 2018
98 posts
16 upvotes
Brampton
I haven't measured the temperatures but it's generally warmer than outside and way cooler than inside of the house. I realize that I can only have a plant which can bear the winter. Although the plant won't have to endure wind or snow. And I can definitely water it, along with my other plants.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5641 posts
2490 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
First thing you should do is put some water in a container in the porch and see if it freezes.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Jun 24, 2018
98 posts
16 upvotes
Brampton
Good advice. Let me try doing that tonight and report how it goes tomorrow morning.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5641 posts
2490 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
SushantV19370 wrote: Good advice. Let me try doing that tonight and report how it goes tomorrow morning.
Not one night the coldest night. Plants may survive 999 nights but 1 cold enough one will kill them.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Jun 24, 2018
98 posts
16 upvotes
Brampton
The water didn't freeze. Also, I have an area heater which kicks in once automatically (you can see it in the first pic), if it gets too cold. So the worst cold scenario is well taken care of.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2749 posts
910 upvotes
Windsor
You'll need to Google these ones. I am pretty certain a Jade plant would survive in that area; my BIL has one that he overwinters in my dad's garage, and that space is maintained it to a minimum temp of 2°C (which is probably closer to 1°C near the walls where the plants are).

I am also rooting a rubbertree plant cutting in a pot I left in my barely-above-freezing garage, and it's not dead either. The rubber plants grow quite fast as well, though I'm sure not when it's that cold ... might just be dormant in the winter (it will keep it's leaves, and remain in stasis), and grow come spring/summer/fall. Also, very low maintenance plant; I've neglected watering mine for 1/2 year at points, and it's still plenty alive and healthy.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.