• Aug 7th, 2012 11:59 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2223 posts
536 upvotes
Kelowna

Recommend a screen protector/case

I just picked up an HTC One V and wanted to make sure it survives. I had a blackberry before it with an otterbox, and I must say that otterbox saved my blackberry for damage many times; being dropped, stepped on while on concrete, put in a pocket with keys, etc.

I was reading that the HTC has Gorilla glass on the front so would anyone recommend still getting a screen protector? How durable is the case on these phones?

Any recommendations for products? Futureshop carries that Zagg invisible shield but it seems to get mixed reviews about being incredibly hard to install and it feels tacky when using the touch screen. Any others? Thanks!
22 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2223 posts
536 upvotes
Kelowna
looks interesting! I've never heard of that brand. it sounds like they are directly competing with products like the invisible shield by emphasizing that it is a dry installation, no messy sprays, non tacky feeling.

Does that skin cover the entire phone?

Also is that cheap back case any good?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
81 upvotes
HIGHLY recommend the cases from Diztronic. The TPU doesn't deform or pick up dust like silicone, and provide adequate protection against drops. They usually come with a free screen protector too. Can't go wrong for the price either.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2223 posts
536 upvotes
Kelowna
I couldn't find a case for the HTC One V on that site :(
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2223 posts
536 upvotes
Kelowna
Yeah I could only find them online. a couple on ebay that are priced ok.

I think I have to take this screen cover off. it's driving me nuts. I'll just give the screen a very good cleaning before i put the protector on.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3646 posts
1065 upvotes
Vancouver
I've bought from Skinomi for my current phone and last one. Their product is the same material as Zagg invisible shield. Make sure you choose the regular screen protector however. That's the one where you use the wet method to put on and I think there's more leeway for error. The dry tech one is the static type I believe.

Use get25 for 25% off. I got my screen protector for $9 shipped. And the kit includes cloth and solution too. Been pretty happy with their product and customer service.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2223 posts
536 upvotes
Kelowna
Damn, I was a day too late to read that message. I went and got the invisi shield by Zagg installed last night. A couple hours after install it felt like there was some resistance when dragging on the screen, but this morning it feels smoother. There is one spot that looks funny (the guy who installed it said it was excess moisture) and apparently it should go away in about 3 days. If it doesn't I can take it back and they will replace the cover.

Still thinking I may get a case as I have been known to drop my phone every now and then.

Also, I picked up a 16GB Class 10 Micro SDHC card with SD adapter at futureshop. With their new price-beat policy, I was able to pricematch newegg.ca by showing them the item listing on my phone, and I had almost no questions asked. FS price was $39.99, I got it for $18.49! :D
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
2068 posts
334 upvotes
Ottawa
Martin Field screen protector is the best
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2223 posts
536 upvotes
Kelowna
So for the invisible shield is doing alright. It doesn't feel as tacky when gliding across the screen but it does stick to my wallet if they are both in a pocket. There are a couple spots that look like fingerprints right in the film. The installer said it was excess moisture and it would work itself out but so far no change. If it isn't gone in another day or so (like they and the Zagg website said it should) then I'm going to see about getting them to replace it.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
2153 posts
609 upvotes
Nova Scotia
My skinomi drytech came in. As the OP suggested do not get the drytech, get the one that requires a wet install. I believe the wet install ones can be taken off and reapplied at any time.

I basically had to do a wet install by wetting my hands because the drytech application makes it impossible to slide the case even milimeters to get it to be a perfect fit. The case does fit good, but the feeling of the phone now is so plasticy and grippy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Signal appears to be the same despite the entire phone being encased in plastic. The front screen protector has come with a small cut out near the HTC logo at the top of the phone, nothing is there though maybe other similar models have a front camera or something? The warranty is apparently lifetime but appears to require some expense on your part (S+H+Return of old one). I am asking for a replacement for mine based on that hole because it just looks bad and maybe it is a defect idk.

I also just ordered this set for 3 cheap protectors and basic black back case: http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40 ... +HTC+ONE+V
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
Invisible shield tends to start peeling off after 3-4 months based on my experience with it (ZAGG). Used it on iPhone 3GS, 4, and captivate. Using one bought recently because i had a deals coupon but i would rather use a screen protector. My old one worked for a year before it was showing its age (scratches etc).

But put something on the screen even if it is gorilla glass or whatever they tell you because they do get scratched contrary to test videos.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2223 posts
536 upvotes
Kelowna
my Zagg one has a cut out by the htc logo on the front. I think this model of protector must also work in another model that perhaps has a front facing camera?
Oct 27, 2011
116 posts
2 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
has anyone had experience with otterbox screen protectors? im thinking of buying an otterbox case but i heard ppl complaining about there screen protectors so i wouldnt want to buy the case and then buy a separate screen protector as well
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50352 posts
6471 upvotes
Toronto
squintzz wrote: has anyone had experience with otterbox screen protectors? im thinking of buying an otterbox case but i heard ppl complaining about there screen protectors so i wouldnt want to buy the case and then buy a separate screen protector as well
Someone I know bought an Otterbox from Pacific Mall.. He had the screen protector applied too by one of the employees working there.. If that's the very same screen protector as the one that comes with the Otterbox then I would say It's bad..
My friend occasionally takes out his phone from his Otterbox for special occasions so people won't see this giant brick. A couple of times he did that and It seems like the screen protector Is scratched pretty bad and I'm sure that the Otterbox outside protector still protects the screen protector right?

Regardless I had to replace It for him.. If you are looking for a screen protector then I'd suggest SPIGEN SGP.

EDIT : Quite a decent amount of loving for SGP Screen Protectors here on RFD; http://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-scr ... -926859/8/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2223 posts
536 upvotes
Kelowna
I took my first invisible shield back because of a flaw in the bottom right of the screen. The installer at futureshop told me it was moisture that would dissipate in the next few days, but it didn't. When I took it up to customer service, they asked me if it was an installation error or a flaw in the product. If it was a flaw, I would have had to deal with Zagg about it but since they botched the install, I got it replaced with a new one for free.

The new one almost seems smoother. i think this guy did a better install job but it's a little high on the one corner. I anticipate it peeling off at some point in the future. :( I can't win.

(I did drop my phone on the ground and put a big scuff in the screen protector. I couldn't believe it, but it complete wiped off and now there is no sign of any damage to it!)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50352 posts
6471 upvotes
Toronto
Sinyk wrote: I took my first invisible shield back because of a flaw in the bottom right of the screen. The installer at futureshop told me it was moisture that would dissipate in the next few days, but it didn't. When I took it up to customer service, they asked me if it was an installation error or a flaw in the product. If it was a flaw, I would have had to deal with Zagg about it but since they botched the install, I got it replaced with a new one for free.

The new one almost seems smoother. i think this guy did a better install job but it's a little high on the one corner. I anticipate it peeling off at some point in the future. :( I can't win.

(I did drop my phone on the ground and put a big scuff in the screen protector. I couldn't believe it, but it complete wiped off and now there is no sign of any damage to it!)
The ZAGG's are strong but they have the orange peel effect. After trying It as my first screen protector I didn't like It.. Went to SGP screen protectors.
I'm actually looking to exchange mine for a new one since I don't have a iPhone 4S anymore and pretend that I need a replacement and that hopefully they'll exchange me a new one since It has a lifetime warranty so that I can sell It!

[IMG]http://justanotheriphoneblog.com/wordpr ... nge001.jpg[/IMG]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)