• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 10:07 pm
[OP]
Apr 7, 2020
28 posts
20 upvotes

Recommend a vehicle for mountain and snow highway

Hi,
My driving patterns are about to change from entirely city driving, to doing occasional trips (one return trip every couple months) through BC/AB mountains, so I am looking to replace my current older vehicle with something more suitable.

-Prefer to be higher up with more heft than a sedan (wildlife collision spooked me from driving sedan on the highway)
-Prefer a higher-end/luxury fit & finish
-AWD and excellent handling for the hills and twists of the Coquihalla Highway & Rogers Pass in the winter.
-Reliable performance
-Open to either used wiithin a few model years, or new.
-Budget up to $60K, though 50K would sure be nice.
-No trucks

I have always driven a V6 so I am used to and enjoy a peppy ride. I get that it might not fit with my other requirements.

Please let me know any vehicles you think I should be looking at.
32 replies
Jul 19, 2010
605 posts
242 upvotes
Calgary
I would say Subaru Forester XT with winter tires, but you want luxury.. and Subaru isn't very luxury.
Feb 27, 2007
362 posts
199 upvotes
The RDX @iflyplanes suggested would be a great choice, Lexus also makes the NX 300 (fancy RAV4) which is pretty nice as well. Also comes in a Hybrid model.

Option either model out until you hit your desired price point.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9330 posts
1734 upvotes
Toronto
Volvo XC60 for higher end.
Subaru Forester or Ascent a bit lower.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
4076 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
Volvo V90 cross country
Oct 1, 2015
814 posts
993 upvotes
Barrie, ON
X5 Diesel or the gasser, whatever ticks your performance/fun box the best.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4263 posts
2559 upvotes
Gotham
booblehead wrote: A4 allroads Thumbs Up Sign
+1, but I would go would go with an A6/S6/RS6 Avant because it is heavier. If you like peppy, the RS6 is 600hp. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

A BMW 5-series wagon might also work.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1105 posts
519 upvotes
batcave wrote: If you like peppy, the RS6 is 600hp.
Lookup rs6 vs Lambo videos. IIRC, the same engine is used in some Lamborghini's.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4667 posts
2049 upvotes
Ottawa
OP: what do you mean when you say "reliable performance"? Those are two big words and they mean different things to different people. As does "luxury". Those three things together have a higher price tag but some people might think that the Mazda CX-5 represents performance and luxury whereas others would draw the line at a Porsche Macan.

My wife loves her 2018 Audi Q5 technik but it leaves me cold. Time will tell if it's "reliable".
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
2875 posts
3743 upvotes
Edmonton
Do what I did and pick up an off lease Q7 for $40-50k, you won't regret it. Look for higher trims with the air suspension.

Just got back from a trip to the mountains, quattro plus variable suspension 6-10 inch ground clearance for highway/offroad plus back massages whenever we feel like it are priceless.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9052 posts
2907 upvotes
iflyplanes wrote:
If one can get over the ugly centre console and odd track pad for the infotainment then yes
Discomfort is your friend