Recommendation for Inline Skates

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2009 12:26 am
[OP]
Nov 18, 2006
468 posts
194 upvotes

Recommendation for Inline Skates

Hey guys as the title says I'm in the market for a new pair of inline skates. I just found out that there's going to be a sale at SportChek (25% off reg price and 10% off sale price) according to this thread:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=792297

I'm looking for a recreational/fitness pair of inlines and I've been interested in the K2's but there are lots of models to choose from on the SportChek website so I'm still not too sure what to get. I would consider myself somewhere in between beginner and intermediate because I haven't skated in awhile. My last pair of inlines were Rollerblades and probably like 5-7 years old. Any recommendations would be good. Thanks guys!
3 replies
Dec 5, 2007
229 posts
Toronto
Make sure the skates aren't too heavy. The fitting is snug but doesn't restrict blood flow. Wheel hardness depends on what you'll be doing. Try to get quality higher number ABEC bearings.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2006
468 posts
194 upvotes
From the skates I've been looking at the frames are made of either aluminum or composite..are there any particular advantages/disadvantages to either I don't think I will be doing tricks or anything just mainly going on trails/uphill/recreation I don't plan on using them for roller hockey either..
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2654 posts
108 upvotes
GTA
Don't worry about ABEC rating as that's pretty meaningless when it comes to inline skates. Any major manufacturer will have good bearings nowadays. If you're not doing hockey or tricks, I suggest that you get big wheels (90mm or more), as they roll better, especially on non-ideal surfaces. For the skates themselves, the higher end models don't really benefit a casual skater in any way, and I don't think you'll notice a difference in the chassis material either. Just find an inexpensive model that is not too heavy, fits well, and breathes well, although that's a bit hard to tell in the store.

For example, this looks pretty decent to me:
http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do/st ... leId=46262
But if you want to pony up for a pair from K2, who am I to stop you...