Computers & Electronics

Recommendation for Microsoft purchase (Version & shop) for a small business use (medical clinic).

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2021 3:07 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1029 posts
220 upvotes

Recommendation for Microsoft purchase (Version & shop) for a small business use (medical clinic).

I'm looking to buy Microsoft to install it on my new laptop, any recommendation for which one to buy or where to buy it from, its for a small business use (medical clinic).
25 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3464 posts
2238 upvotes
Mississauga
You are looking to buy Microsoft as in the entire company, or one of their products? Like operating system (windows), productivity software(Office suite), etc?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1029 posts
220 upvotes
IndyBeak wrote: You are looking to buy Microsoft as in the entire company, or one of their products? Like operating system (windows), productivity software(Office suite), etc?
I wish I could buy the entire company and install it on my laptop, lol :) You made my day. Sorry my mistake, I should have been more descriptive. i mean to say their software for a new laptop.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3464 posts
2238 upvotes
Mississauga
MK1986 wrote: I wish I could buy the entire company and install it on my laptop, lol :) You made my day. Sorry my mistake, I should have been more descriptive. i mean to say their software for a new laptop.
I think your laptop most likely would have already come with Windows 10 Home. I am no expert at reading and understanding licensing terms. But from my understanding, technically you cannot use OEM windows for commercial use.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterm ... nglish.htm

However, it is another matter if you should bother too much about it. From a functionality perspective, the OEM Windows 10 home should be sufficient for your usage, as long as you are not planning to host a server on it.

For office application, again you can either buy a standalone office professional which is allowed for commercial use, or go with their subscription based office 365 solution.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/microso ... verviewtab
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/microso ... ng-hiatrep

When it comes to buying the licenses, there are two ways to go about it
1. Buy it from official sources, like Bestbuy, Walmart, etc, or the Microsoft store itself. These sources will almost always have same pricing models.
2. Or buy it from key sellers on Ebay. If you use this route, you are technically already in violation of Microsoft's terms of services. So technically I would rather pirate than paying for keys on ebay.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14358 posts
3601 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
For a legit licence for business, there's really not much options out there. Just buy it from a regular retailer who has the lowest price. It's going to be a business expense (ie. tax deductable), so I wouldn't spend too much time looking for the absolute lowest price. Maybe check one of those price comparison sites.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7219 posts
4885 upvotes
SW ON
MK1986 wrote: i mean to say their software for a new laptop.
But which software?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
29094 posts
4783 upvotes
Montreal
IndyBeak wrote: You are looking to buy Microsoft as in the entire company, or one of their products? Like operating system (windows), productivity software(Office suite), etc?
Divorce has been hard on Gates. Sell, sell, sell!
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2561 posts
735 upvotes
Ottawa
MK1986 wrote: Office.
Would you need your own website? Business grade email? How many computers will you have?
I would recommend going with Microsoft 365 solution - you can have it as a software only or software + mailbox subscription.
Feel free to drop me a line, will be happy to help with more details
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14358 posts
3601 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Microsoft 365 is great. You can collaborate on shared files.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1029 posts
220 upvotes
golden_m wrote: Would you need your own website? Business grade email? How many computers will you have?
I would recommend going with Microsoft 365 solution - you can have it as a software only or software + mailbox subscription.
Feel free to drop me a line, will be happy to help with more details
We are building our own website, currently using gmail for company use, we may have 3 computers once business establish, starting with 2.
TIA
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7491 posts
2399 upvotes
0 downvotes
a lot of people forget, microsoft office 365 you need to pay every year for it, even if you are sick and in the hospital for a year on bed rest and dont use your computer, you still have to pay a fee. you can also buy the old style microsoft office where you install it and you pay just one time for the software and dont pay yearly subscription fees
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2561 posts
735 upvotes
Ottawa
MK1986 wrote: We are building our own website, currently using gmail for company use, we may have 3 computers once business establish, starting with 2.
TIA
If you are building your website that means you will have your own domain name. That's good and your email will look professional. Microsoft 365 combo of a mailbox and Microsoft Office suite subscription will cost you about $16/month for one user. In return, you will get a fully-featured mailbox with the ability to share calendars and contacts between users, 1TB of storage for your personal files, and also Microsoft SharePoint (cloud shared server) to share your files and documents with other users. As long as you keep the subscription active, you will be able to enjoy the full capabilities of the Microsoft Office suite. There are few other features that this subscription will provide, like MS Teams, but I am not sure if it will be relevant to your business.

If you have more questions or want to see if this solution really fits your needs, we can take this discussion offline. Otherwise feel free to post your questions here and I will do my best to address them.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2561 posts
735 upvotes
Ottawa
GoodFellaz wrote: a lot of people forget, microsoft office 365 you need to pay every year for it, even if you are sick and in the hospital for a year on bed rest and dont use your computer, you still have to pay a fee. you can also buy the old style microsoft office where you install it and you pay just one time for the software and dont pay yearly subscription fees
yes, you are correct. But then again, what about your rent it you are in the hospital for a year? What about your car lease if you are in the hospital for a year?
Do you see where I am getting with this?

One person gets to the hospital or gets sick does not mean business has to stop. One person stops using the computer - another one will replace him, you know "Show must go on"!

I am personally using Microsoft 365 subscription for my business and I implement this for my clients. While I don't like the idea of forever paying the vendor for a subscription, I see how well it is working and how little time I spend on maintenance of my email system. The $16/month gives you a nice, feature-rich package that is always up to date and you don't needto buy it again in a few years because Microsoft stopped releasing updates for a EOL product. And believe me, in this age of technology, being up to date means a lot.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7491 posts
2399 upvotes
0 downvotes
golden_m wrote: yes, you are correct. But then again, what about your rent it you are in the hospital for a year? What about your car lease if you are in the hospital for a year?
Do you see where I am getting with this?

One person gets to the hospital or gets sick does not mean business has to stop. One person stops using the computer - another one will replace him, you know "Show must go on"!

I am personally using Microsoft 365 subscription for my business and I implement this for my clients. While I don't like the idea of forever paying the vendor for a subscription, I see how well it is working and how little time I spend on maintenance of my email system. The $16/month gives you a nice, feature-rich package that is always up to date and you don't needto buy it again in a few years because Microsoft stopped releasing updates for a EOL product. And believe me, in this age of technology, being up to date means a lot.
Believe me I know that paying the subscription for it gets you top notch product. This site is also called Red Flag DEALS, and paying a one time purchase for office and not having all the bells and whistles and having enough features to use comfortably, and keeping it for 6 to 8 years on your computer is also a really good deal. We NEED office now a days to create and read documents, its a must, but all the top of the line features from office are not a must, those are more of a "nice to have" so in the eyes of someone looking for a DEAL. hence posting on red flag DEALS., i highly recommend get the one time purchase and use it for 6 to 8 years
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7219 posts
4885 upvotes
SW ON
MK1986 wrote: currently using gmail for company use
Check with lawyers about privacy. Since it's a medical clinic Gmail may be a problem since by Google's terms it can be scanned by Google and some of your client's medical info may be compromised.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14358 posts
3601 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
There's always one of the free office packages, like Libre Office or Open Office.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2561 posts
735 upvotes
Ottawa
alpovs wrote: Check with lawyers about privacy. Since it's a medical clinic Gmail may be a problem since by Google's terms it can be scanned by Google and some of your client's medical info may be compromised.
That's an excellent point!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7491 posts
2399 upvotes
0 downvotes
also a one time purchase of microsoft office versus a monthly or yearly subscription is also an excellent point to bring up. not everyone wants to spend money re-curring fees. some poeple like to do one time payments and theyre good for 6-7 years
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14358 posts
3601 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Microsoft 365 isn't just Microsoft Office, though, so it's not a direct comparison.

Regardless, since the guy now has said that it will be two or three computers, 365 is probably overkill.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)