• Jul 12th, 2019 11:25 am
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
2682 posts
1779 upvotes
Durham

Recommendation for Painter/Spray-Painter for Kitchen Cabinets in Durham

Hi RFD,

If anyone has any recommendations, that would be great!
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
When I bought my house 2 years ago, we got quotes from ~8 companies for our kitchen (standard 10x10 with island approximately 4 foot by 3 foot). The quotes were $4000-$8000.

We also got quotes to just replace all the cabinets with MDF cabinets. That quote was $7000.

We ended up buying some TSP, sand paper, spray gun, primer, and Benjamin Moore Advance and repainted the cabinets ourselves. Took a lot of work, but saved us at least $4k. They look brand new even today, 2 years later.
:confused:
Aug 25, 2006
289 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
iEyeCaptain wrote: When I bought my house 2 years ago, we got quotes from ~8 companies for our kitchen (standard 10x10 with island approximately 4 foot by 3 foot). The quotes were $4000-$8000.

We also got quotes to just replace all the cabinets with MDF cabinets. That quote was $7000.

We ended up buying some TSP, sand paper, spray gun, primer, and Benjamin Moore Advance and repainted the cabinets ourselves. Took a lot of work, but saved us at least $4k. They look brand new even today, 2 years later.

I did the same. Had real maple doors. Took off all doors, lightly sanding, degreaser/deglosser, and then sprayed them with semigloss latex using a cheap spray gun I got from amazon for like $50 (This One).

Took a long time to do so not for everyone (due to limited room to spray and store multiple doors while paint dried over 3 coats each door front and back...1 primer coat, 2finish coats). Did all the uppers first and then all the lowers. They came out perfect and factory smooth finish. You'd never know it was a DIY job.

Think total coast was like <$400 including all misc items and products VS multi thousands+ pro costs.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
Yup. Took two weeks for us. Two full weekends and every weeknight after dinner.

We also chose new pull hardware, so we had to remove the existing pulls, putty up the holes, drill new ones, install new pulls.

We got lazy with the back of the cabinets, we just roller painted those.. lmao.
:confused:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)