• May 24th, 2015 9:21 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 6, 2007
11 posts
5 upvotes

Recommendation for a patient driving instructor for an old lady

I don't need to pass the test as I already have my license.
I need someone to help me to overcome my fear of driving, best if he/she is willing to sit in my car (I have perfect driving record).
I am 40.

TIA!
12 replies
Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
577 upvotes
kitchener
Little more info needed here.
Since you have a fear of driving, how and why did you get your licence in the first place?
Or does this mean you have only recently developed this fear?
Is your perfect driving record due to the fact, that you don't drive much because you are scared of driving?
Or do you drive on daily bases, which means that you must be able to overcome your fear on your own just fine?
What exactly would you like this instructor person that "sits in your car" to do for you?
40 is NOT old.
May 28, 2012
12035 posts
4656 upvotes
Saskatoon
The driving instructor can teach proper technique but what you do with it is up to you...if you have an anxiety problem, I don't think driving lessons will help much.
Dec 3, 2012
53 posts
10 upvotes
COQUITLAM
I would recommend the YD (Young Drivers -- don't let the name fool you ;) program. I put my son through it because every good driver I know seemed to have gone to that school. They may even have a special program for older drivers, if IIRC.
Dec 3, 2012
53 posts
10 upvotes
COQUITLAM
Actually, I think practice, and perhaps some validation of your already existing skills, with a competent instructor, would help to alleviate anxiety.
May 3, 2011
671 posts
90 upvotes
You need to talk to a therapist not a driving instructor. Whatever it is that is scaring you is all in the mind.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2014
1239 posts
157 upvotes
Mississauga
40 isn't old, but I'm sure any instructor would be good and they would be able to help. But that does rely on the fact that your fear stems from inexperience or lack of driving and not a neurological issue.
[OP]
Sep 6, 2007
11 posts
5 upvotes
I got my license when I was 16. Dad was overprotective and wouldn't let me drive. Then I met my boyfriend, now husband who does all the driving. I think my fear comes from mostly lack of experiences. Work & family took most of my time in my 30'. Now my parents are getting older, I want to be able to take them around without relying on husband (after all, they are MY parents). I live in North York with very busy traffic (Yonge, Sheppard, Finch, Bathurst). We have a SUV and our townhouse garage/driveway is very challenging. Husband is not the best driving coach and I am afraid to drive along. I need a calm instructor to make me comfortable driving around the neighbourhood to start.

I was making fun of myself when I said an "old lady" because it's almost embarrassing to say I don't drive, at this age. :(
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2576 posts
1321 upvotes
Hometown
shoppyfun wrote: I got my license when I was 16. Dad was overprotective and wouldn't let me drive. Then I met my boyfriend, now husband who does all the driving. I think my fear comes from mostly lack of experiences. Work & family took most of my time in my 30'. Now my parents are getting older, I want to be able to take them around without relying on husband (after all, they are MY parents). I live in North York with very busy traffic (Yonge, Sheppard, Finch, Bathurst). We have a SUV and our townhouse garage/driveway is very challenging. Husband is not the best driving coach and I am afraid to drive along. I need a calm instructor to make me comfortable driving around the neighbourhood to start.

I was making fun of myself when I said an "old lady" because it's almost embarrassing to say I don't drive, at this age. :(
I can't name any driving schools, but good for you, for wanting to help your parents out!!! I hope you find someone who you work with.
Dec 3, 2012
53 posts
10 upvotes
COQUITLAM
Shoppyfun, I can relate. It took me ages to get my license because I was nervous about driving. I was also a pretty nervous driver for the first few years and limited my driving alot. Now, years later, I will and do drive anywhere at anytime, but I don't always like it.

Do you drive now at all? Sometimes or just never? Something that was helpful to me was driving at times when there was no traffic, like 6 am on a Sunday morning, just for practice backing out of your driveway, making turns at big, tricky intersections, etc.

I wish you the best with it; and good for you for doing it.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2014
1239 posts
157 upvotes
Mississauga
shoppyfun wrote: I got my license when I was 16. Dad was overprotective and wouldn't let me drive. Then I met my boyfriend, now husband who does all the driving. I think my fear comes from mostly lack of experiences. Work & family took most of my time in my 30'. Now my parents are getting older, I want to be able to take them around without relying on husband (after all, they are MY parents). I live in North York with very busy traffic (Yonge, Sheppard, Finch, Bathurst). We have a SUV and our townhouse garage/driveway is very challenging. Husband is not the best driving coach and I am afraid to drive along. I need a calm instructor to make me comfortable driving around the neighbourhood to start.

Most people around your age have some issues driving, heck my mother at 50 can't drive on highways either. Just get back on the highways, if you have anyone in your family who can help you and is calm you're golden!
Banned
Jan 28, 2015
883 posts
226 upvotes
Markham
Go see your doctor about your anxiety. This is could be a medical problem. Seek a medical professional for help.