• May 31st, 2015 7:20 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 4, 2009
91 posts
9 upvotes

Recommendation for Rear Brake Rotor

Whenever I brake at high speeds, I get vibrations from the back wheels. I'm trying to find cheap rotors for my 2007 Chevrolet Malibu LT V6. What are some recommended places for rotors and brake pads? Or are there places that can cheaply turn the rotors?
17 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22382 posts
3257 upvotes
camospartan wrote: Hmm.. Shipping is so expensive though. Rotors are like 15 each but shipping costs 50 bucks.
Buy other stuff from the same warehouse.
[OP]
May 4, 2009
91 posts
9 upvotes
Do you guys know of any part stores in the GTA other than Napa or Partsource that would have decent rotors?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1161 posts
1006 upvotes
Don't cheap out on brakes. I've learned the hard way. Not only will you be immediately disappointed with the stopping power/feel compared to OEM but also the cheap parts will last maybe 30k before being completely wrecked again.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
Ken_vs_Ryu wrote: Don't cheap out on brakes. I've learned the hard way. Not only will you be immediately disappointed with the stopping power/feel compared to OEM but also the cheap parts will last maybe 30k before being completely wrecked again.
+1
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
camospartan wrote: Do you guys know of any part stores in the GTA other than Napa or Partsource that would have decent rotors?
I got my brake rotors/pads (Honda Pilot) from a place in Mississauga. Very happy with it.

National Auto Parts
2455 Cawthra Rd. Miss.
905-897-0644

?? not sure of the unit number..sorry.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6864 posts
2658 upvotes
BC
This often comes up on this forum. Have you diagnosed the problem correctly?
camospartan wrote: Whenever I brake at high speeds, I get vibrations from the back wheels .........
Where do you sense the vibrations:
a) in the brake pedal?
b) in the seat of the pants?
c) in the steering wheel? (presumably not if you are thinking it's the rear wheels)

There are other possibilities than out-of-true rotors. Have you ruled out worn rear suspension components?

Are you sure it's not the ABS now coming in at lower thresholds than it is supposed to?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
macnut wrote: This often comes up on this forum. Have you diagnosed the problem correctly?

Where do you sense the vibrations:
a) in the brake pedal?
b) in the seat of the pants?
c) in the steering wheel? (presumably not if you are thinking it's the rear wheels)

There are other possibilities than out-of-true rotors. Have you ruled out worn rear suspension components?

Are you sure it's not the ABS now coming in at lower thresholds than it is supposed to?
I think having it qualified as "vibration from the back wheels" is a little different from the pulsation at the brake pedal. Wouldn't you agree? ;)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6864 posts
2658 upvotes
BC
Yes, I agree that the feel of ABS activating should be easily discernible.

However, OP hasn't given us much to go on, and it can happen with symptoms like this that a pad and rotor replacement doesn't cure the problem.

But if he knows the brakes are due anyway, by all means go ahead with cheap rotors and cheap pads and see if it cures the vibration.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
Malibu and Lumina were notorious for rear rotor issues (especially if you did not use your park brake too often).
[OP]
May 4, 2009
91 posts
9 upvotes
macnut wrote: Yes, I agree that the feel of ABS activating should be easily discernible.

However, OP hasn't given us much to go on, and it can happen with symptoms like this that a pad and rotor replacement doesn't cure the problem.

But if he knows the brakes are due anyway, by all means go ahead with cheap rotors and cheap pads and see if it cures the vibration.
Well, I don't think its the ABS since the light doesn't come on at all. And this happens when when I brake above 40kmh. When I do brake at around 40kmh, I feel like the car pulses but at higher speeds it vibrates. The steering wheel also vibrates a little bit when I brake at higher speeds. I've had the front rotor turned 1.5 years ago and the rotor still looks fine (no black spots, all metal and seems smooth). The rear rotor was replaced 1.5 years ago but there are some black streaks and rust streaks on it. I'm not 100% sure its the back rotors so I might even replace the front as well.

As for a suspension problem, I can't tell at all (Don't know too much but nothing seems broken). This car is just under 80,000 KM and we bought this brand new in 2007.
Dec 13, 2011
892 posts
86 upvotes
Canadian tire has very good rotors. Certified or wagner brand. If you going cheap, go to scrap yard and buy :)
--------------------------------
:evil:
Spam:irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.