Food & Drink

Recommendation for restaurant for two families meeting first time (GTA)? *dietary concerns*

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2016 3:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
3808 posts
615 upvotes
West Side GTA

Recommendation for restaurant for two families meeting first time (GTA)? *dietary concerns*

So here's situation...s/o and I have been going steady for a bit and think it's a good as anytime for two families to meet. There are some dietary concerns...fish and nuts and of all things...chocolate...so that rules out pretty much all seafood based restaurants...and also any pastry shops....it's a bit of an awkward situation because we're both lovers of seafood and often order quite a bit of seafood when we're out so I'm a little bit lost on this one...not only that, the two families have different styles of taste (one loves spice and hates saucy types of food, while the other hates spices and only eats saucy types of food lol...) If you don't know what I'm referring to regarding "saucy", think asian gelatinous gravy sauces that are often on dishes at asian restaurants vs dry spices that you might find on jerk chicken/bbq flavors. Alternatively French style cooking with sauces spread on the meats etc.

I'm thinking something neutral which would be like dim sum or a buffet (dietary concerns) for people to get around at least and to break the ice on any awkward silences/moments. Would like to keep it between $20-35/head (probably 8-10 people). Keep the recommendations in the GTA

On a side note for those of you that are with an s/o where did you guys take the "first meet" lol.
12 replies
Feb 10, 2008
617 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
"Going steady"?....Really? People still say that?

Anyway, what about something generic with a variety of food like The Pickle Barrel?
Mar 19, 2015
633 posts
123 upvotes
Canada
Picky eaters... Don't bother going to a restaurant and save your money.

Maybe they can go to your house for lunch / dinner or snacks?

-
Mar 19, 2015
633 posts
123 upvotes
Canada
People have died or ended up in hospital due to allergy reactions to food so buffet would probably be a bad idea.

-
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5788 posts
2144 upvotes
Aurora
Why not do something mid-level Canadian-neutral like Milestones or Moxies (so both sides can complain!). Everyone can order what they want. I wouldn't do anything too ethnic and a buffet doesn't sound qiute right for a first meeting - too many disruptions for get-to-know-each-other conversation.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3088 posts
1056 upvotes
don't go to a restaurant where you share dishes then, i.e. chinese restaurant where you order a bunch of food and share

go to a restaurant where everyone orders their own dish,
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5797 posts
808 upvotes
Scarborough
go to any indian restaurant, it should work out good as everyone can order whatever they like......

from gravy dishes to kebabs and wraps, and veggies, all available
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5788 posts
2144 upvotes
Aurora
Hey, -=phelan=-, you going to...I don't know... chime in or something with some feedback or more info, buddy?
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4900 posts
482 upvotes
Victoria
OP died due to the stress surrounding meeting the parents. RIP OP.
Not a political sig
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
3808 posts
615 upvotes
West Side GTA
^^ hahah...no stress man...

We've decided to simply just host it at my place as it's easier. Both of us are pretty decent cooks and we'll cook what WE like whether they like it or not as they are GUESTS :) We'll probably just keep it simple buffet style type of thing (food all on the table) grab what you like and goto the dinner table type of gig.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3088 posts
1056 upvotes
-=phelan=- wrote:
Oct 7th, 2016 3:44 pm
^^ hahah...no stress man...

We've decided to simply just host it at my place as it's easier. Both of us are pretty decent cooks and we'll cook what WE like whether they like it or not as they are GUESTS :) We'll probably just keep it simple buffet style type of thing (food all on the table) grab what you like and goto the dinner table type of gig.
you can always buy takeout too to add to the food choices