Wheels and Tires

Recommendation: Tire Inflators

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2021 9:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Newbie
May 5, 2021
65 posts
23 upvotes

Recommendation: Tire Inflators

Hello good people!

The $2 for tire inflation at gas stations pinches a lot. I was considering buying a portable tire inflator that makes financial and convenient sense.

Which tool would you recommend based on experience?


Extra details:
- Live in a condo. No house so will probably buy one with a cigarette lighter power input or battery operated.
- Drive a 2010 Mazda 3
- I don't own other hardware yet, so if the question comes to the ecosystem I'm in, this would be my first hardware purchase.


Thank you!
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 1, 2005
5847 posts
3491 upvotes
Toronto
You can try your luck getting one of these,

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid ... 1001547823

But it looks like most have been cleared out by RFD, home-depot-ridgid-18v-cordless-high-pre ... 9-2464888/

You'll probably have better luck with one of these,

home-depot-ryobi-days-preview-2465667/

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/catego ... 34-88.html

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/catego ... 59-88.html

But you'll probably better off with one that can use multiple power sources like the Ridgid or

https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DCC020IB-2 ... B07H39S9JQ

or

https://www.amazon.ca/Craftsman-Lithium ... 07JLTMQJT/

Any is good for top ups but if the tire is basically flat you may need a more powerful inflator otherwise you're going to have to let the inflators pause and cool down.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
5101 posts
2006 upvotes
RYOBI 18V ONE+ Dual Function Cordless Inflator/Deflator (Tool Only)

Both myself and my buddy have the older slimmer model (P731) ... that we both bought at the same time for $47.97+taxes.

Carrying the standard 1.5ah battery would suffice to do one tire.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Newbie
May 5, 2021
65 posts
23 upvotes
Thank you!
What are your views on the RFD recommended inflator (link below)? And any recommendations for jump start + inflator?

https://www.amazon.ca/Cahot-Portable-Co ... s_li_ss_tl


BeaverLiquor wrote: You can try your luck getting one of these,

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid ... 1001547823

But it looks like most have been cleared out by RFD, home-depot-ridgid-18v-cordless-high-pre ... 9-2464888/

You'll probably have better luck with one of these,

home-depot-ryobi-days-preview-2465667/

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/catego ... 34-88.html

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/catego ... 59-88.html

But you'll probably better off with one that can use multiple power sources like the Ridgid or

https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DCC020IB-2 ... B07H39S9JQ

or

https://www.amazon.ca/Craftsman-Lithium ... 07JLTMQJT/

Any is good for top ups but if the tire is basically flat you may need a more powerful inflator otherwise you're going to have to let the inflators pause and cool down.
Sr. Member
Jan 13, 2007
521 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I've posted this here before but I've been extremely happy with my Motomaster 900A booster pack with tire inflator.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... 2065p.html

Even though the booster is the older sealed lead acid technology, I still replaced my lithium ion booster pack with this single unit since I use the tire inflator feature much more than the booster feature anyway. Downside is that it's a bit heavy but it definitely is sturdy.
Member
Aug 13, 2003
466 posts
282 upvotes
Calgary
I bought this MotoMaster one about a year ago and I like it a lot. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-digital-hi-flow-inflator-0095205p.html No issues at all. It goes on sale regularly for $49.99. I had also purchased a 180W / 15Amp AC to 12V DC converter from aliexpress.com so I can run it off the wall outlet. If someone does buy a converter like this for this inflator, do not buy one that is less than 180W / 15Amp .
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 1, 2005
5847 posts
3491 upvotes
Toronto
DentDude wrote: I bought this MotoMaster one about a year ago and I like it a lot. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-digital-hi-flow-inflator-0095205p.html No issues at all. It goes on sale regularly for $49.99. I had also purchased a 180W / 15Amp AC to 12V DC converter from aliexpress.com so I can run it off the wall outlet. If someone does buy a converter like this for this inflator, do not buy one that is less than 180W / 15Amp .
Hope the converter wasn't more than $20 because they have a 12/120 power version.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... 5206p.html
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Member
Aug 13, 2003
466 posts
282 upvotes
Calgary
BeaverLiquor wrote: Hope the converter wasn't more than $20 because they have a 12/120 power version.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... 5206p.html
Yeah, that 12V/120V version didn't exist when I had bought mine. The converter from aliexpress was like $30-$32 or something like that. Oh well, at the least the version I have can be used to also inflate or deflate air mattresses too. I've also used my AC to 12V DC converter for other items too.
Newbie
Nov 9, 2020
77 posts
48 upvotes
I can vouch for the red Craftsman. Actually bought bare tool but since I use it at home didn’t need to get battery.
Member
Aug 23, 2014
372 posts
160 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
jdmfishingonly wrote: RYOBI 18V ONE+ Dual Function Cordless Inflator/Deflator (Tool Only)

Both myself and my buddy have the older slimmer model (P731) ... that we both bought at the same time for $47.97+taxes.

Carrying the standard 1.5ah battery would suffice to do one tire.
+1. I have one of these. Even with a 1.5A battery, I am able to top up 4 tires (during my seasonal tire swap) with plenty of power to spare. This model is better than their handheld one as these things are loud - but with this model you can at least stand back from the unit while its running and it shuts off automatically when it reaches the pressure you preset it to.

Ryobi is a good ecosystem to build on for ocassional diy’ers. Good value for money.

Regardless of which brand you decide, I strongly recommend getting a battery powered unit one as running a power cord gets old pretty quickly (I have both types).
Sr. Member
Apr 5, 2010
913 posts
186 upvotes
Ryobi inflator for like $27 is a great deal. I have a 4ah battery with it and it does great topping up in a couple minutes.

I'd however get the Milwaukee M12 inflator though for slightly more at $90 over the Ryobi.
Jr. Member
Feb 6, 2018
110 posts
28 upvotes
I have a Dewalt DCC020IB. It is fast and accurate. The only con is the price.
Newbie
Aug 31, 2008
84 posts
36 upvotes
Montreal
Any Viair compressor. I like the ones you plug directly to battery as they're more powerful. Quality is awesome and takes no time to adjust pressure with built in reader.

Top