Home & Garden

recommendation for a trolly/dolly/hand truck

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2021 6:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 30, 2005
3162 posts
881 upvotes
Mars

recommendation for a trolly/dolly/hand truck

whatever you call it, foldable, something looks like this

https://www.amazon.ca/MaxWorks-80876-Fo ... 11&sr=8-10

https://www.amazon.ca/Luggage-Wheels-Fo ... 11&sr=8-13

was almost about to place my order, then noticed the reviews, 1-star, 2-star reviews of course, then delete the item from my cart. I don't really need move something too heavy (300lb +) or too big (like big fridge), but may use to move some cat litters, like 80-100KG at a time at most. seems most complains are on wheels and poor/unsafe design - after checking about 10 of them, all with customer reivews 4.5 out 5. (I only pay attention to 1-star, 2-star reviews)

anyone using this thing and could recommend a good one, budget around $100, maybe, could go up a bit if it's really good. not sure of the price, never used or bought this thing before. your advice is very much appreciated.
18 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 18, 2008
2992 posts
977 upvotes
Ottawa
Costco currently has a foldable cart ($49.99).

Best feature about it, IMO, is that the height of the handles can actually be extended, so you're not completely crouched over when pushing it!
Member
Nov 5, 2018
311 posts
255 upvotes
I have one of these:
https://www.amazon.ca/Cosco-Shifter-Mul ... 00LMH8CCS/
It also comes in Orange:
https://www.amazon.ca/Cosco-Shifter-300 ... 01IFMSKAQ/
It's fine for what it is and folds up nicely, but I wouldn't use it for a fridge or something. The biggest failure point is always the smaller wheels, and abuse: take any of these small dollies up an down stairs or curbs and they aren't going to last long. The small wheels also don't like sidewalks and rough asphalt, but if you put all the weight over the big wheels it works well enough for a short trip out to the car or similar.

If you want a more robust dolly, I've used these before:
https://www.amazon.ca/Harper-Trucks-Lig ... 00EUUZAUG/

Finally, if you want to prioritize compactness, there's this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Magna-Cart-Person ... 000HVVSDU/
It's great for moving a box or two of documents, but not much. It's very lightweight.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 30, 2005
3162 posts
881 upvotes
Mars
Akitakara wrote: Costco currently has a foldable cart ($49.99).

Best feature about it, IMO, is that the height of the handles can actually be extended, so you're not completely crouched over when pushing it!
https://www.costco.ca/magna-cart-flatfo ... 81132.html

are you talking about this one? wow, much cheaper than amazon. but some reviews said the design was unsafe - when you snatch it (the handle or somewhere), fingers are likely get cut.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 18, 2008
2992 posts
977 upvotes
Ottawa
forgetpwd wrote: https://www.costco.ca/magna-cart-flatfo ... 81132.html

are you talking about this one? wow, much cheaper than amazon. but some reviews said the design was unsafe - when you snatch it (the handle or somewhere), fingers are likely get cut.
Yes! That's the one!

My only criticisms for it mainly relate to when packing it up.

The red pinch thing is easy to get your fingers pinched.
There's a separate pull bar at the bottom of the cart you need to pull to collapse the cart. Because the wheels fold in, you end up having to tilt the cart at various weird angles to be able to force it closed.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9637 posts
5035 upvotes
Paris
You need to find the Cosco 3 in 1 hand truck. It does a 90 degree mode, a 45 degree mode, and also will be a dolly. Looks like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Cosco-Aluminum-Tr ... oogcana-20

Used to be $100 on sale at Cdn Tire. I think they carry the 2in1 now instead. There is also a 4in1 that can take more weight for $300

Edit: 4in1 the bottom plate thing folds. That would be super useful, though not $200 useful vs the 3in1
https://www.amazon.ca/Cosco-12323ASB1E- ... oogcana-20
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 30, 2005
3162 posts
881 upvotes
Mars
Jerico wrote: You need to find the Cosco 3 in 1 hand truck. It does a 90 degree mode, a 45 degree mode, and also will be a dolly. Looks like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Cosco-Aluminum-Tr ... oogcana-20

Used to be $100 on sale at Cdn Tire. I think they carry the 2in1 now instead. There is also a 4in1 that can take more weight for $300

Edit: 4in1 the bottom plate thing folds. That would be super useful, though not $200 useful vs the 3in1
https://www.amazon.ca/Cosco-12323ASB1E- ... oogcana-20

looks more sturdy, but a bit over my budget. I will keep watching CT, Home Depot, Rona, see if it will go on sale.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5658 posts
2495 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I have the folding cart (left behind by the former owner). Hardly use it as I prefer the handy truck and stair-stepping appliance dolly. That cart might be o.k. IFF (old math/computer programming terminology for "IF AND ONLY IF" you have a very level and flat surface to roll it on. Any uneveness, or even rough texture, on the floor and it's going to get stuck with a heavy load, unless you can push/pull (not good for it).

Hand truck and dolly served me well as I used them to replace an electric water tank (save me $400-800 + tax over having a plumber do it) and also used them to move 1.67 tons of patio decking downhill and 2.5 tons uphill.
Last edited by thriftshopper on Feb 23rd, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 30, 2005
3162 posts
881 upvotes
Mars
Akitakara wrote: Yes! That's the one!

My only criticisms for it mainly relate to when packing it up.

The red pinch thing is easy to get your fingers pinched.
There's a separate pull bar at the bottom of the cart you need to pull to collapse the cart. Because the wheels fold in, you end up having to tilt the cart at various weird angles to be able to force it closed.
yes. other than the negatives you mentioned, which is also most complained issues with its desgin, it's a good deal, price-functionality wise. $20 cheaper than amazon.ca, as of today. nice find, thank you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 30, 2005
3162 posts
881 upvotes
Mars
thriftshopper wrote: I have the folding cart (left behind by the former owner). Hardly use it as I prefer the handy truck and stair-stepping appliance dolly.
it'd ideal if it could climb some little steps, like from garage to room or front 3-step stairs to my porch.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12051 posts
6938 upvotes
Markham
Jerico wrote: You need to find the Cosco 3 in 1 hand truck. It does a 90 degree mode, a 45 degree mode, and also will be a dolly. Looks like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Cosco-Aluminum-Tr ... oogcana-20

Used to be $100 on sale at Cdn Tire. I think they carry the 2in1 now instead. There is also a 4in1 that can take more weight for $300

Edit: 4in1 the bottom plate thing folds. That would be super useful, though not $200 useful vs the 3in1
https://www.amazon.ca/Cosco-12323ASB1E- ... oogcana-20
I have that 3 in 1 hand truck. Cdn Tire has it on sale periodically 50% or even 60%. Like everything in their store - if you pay full price, you likely paid twice as much as you could have.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9637 posts
5035 upvotes
Paris
gr8dlr wrote: I have that 3 in 1 hand truck. Cdn Tire has it on sale periodically 50% or even 60%. Like everything in their store - if you pay full price, you likely paid twice as much as you could have.
Huh. Its steel now at Cdn Tire. Presumably heavier and heavier duty. Every time a friend sees it they all want one. As you said, normal price $200, I’m sure I paid $100 for me, so CTC probably sales it for around $130

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cosc ... p.html#srp
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12051 posts
6938 upvotes
Markham
Jerico wrote: Huh. Its steel now at Cdn Tire. Presumably heavier and heavier duty. Every time a friend sees it they all want one. As you said, normal price $200, I’m sure I paid $100 for me, so CTC probably sales it for around $130

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cosc ... p.html#srp
IIRC the old one aluminum at Cdn Tire? Same load capacity though 1000 lbs. Wonder why they changed it.

This steel one is 16kg and the older aluminum is 12.5kg
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9637 posts
5035 upvotes
Paris
gr8dlr wrote: IIRC the old one aluminum at Cdn Tire? Same load capacity though 1000 lbs. Wonder why they changed it.

This steel one is 16kg and the older aluminum is 12.5kg
I thought my capacity was 600 pounds, but Ive never really tested it beyond a fridge.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5658 posts
2495 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Jerico wrote: I thought my capacity was 600 pounds, but Ive never really tested it beyond a fridge.
And you need some fridge that weighs more than 600 lbs. Even a Sub-Zero 36" fridge-freezer (so dual systems) comfortably tips in under that weight.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11559 posts
1507 upvotes
I got the Harper trucks 700lb convertible one from home depot. Very happy with it. Don't buy from Amazon, apparently it's not assembled and some older models have worse wheels.

It was on sale when I got it. Can't remember how much but felt like a good deal.

Only bad part is it's a little annoying to convert from hand truck to dolly often. There are two pins that hold it in place. For the price and function it's worth the hassle.

I've moved tons of stuff with it including some appliances. In fact my washing machine is sitting on it right now, just rolled it into the storage locker. Wish I bought it years ago.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/harper ... 1000103918

Can't see price now for some reason?

Top