• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 1:39 pm
[OP]
Oct 22, 2002
142 posts
9 upvotes
GTA

Recommendations for 4" slim LED pot lights

Looking to outfit a basement with 20-30 of these lights. Any recommendations on seller or brand? Lots of choices on Amazon but most have a failing grade on FakeSpot. I'm particularly concerned about the cheaper quality units failing over time as these are all integrated and it would be hard to source an exact match a few years down the road.

The guy on the Home Renovision Youtube channel recommends the RENO brand, says these are built to the better quality level with stronger spring clips etc: https://renolighting.com/product/reno-3-s9w-345kwh/

But spec sheet says 9W is only good for 550 lumens of output, while most Amazon sellers are claiming 750 lumens for the same 9W. Are those just bogus claims?

Also any recommendations on spacing for a basement with 7.5" ceilings? Lots of websites recommend every 4' but that seems like a lot.
13 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11349 posts
7656 upvotes
Edmonton
mrgreenjeans wrote: Looking to outfit a basement with 20-30 of these lights. Any recommendations on seller or brand? Lots of choices on Amazon but most have a failing grade on FakeSpot. I'm particularly concerned about the cheaper quality units failing over time as these are all integrated and it would be hard to source an exact match a few years down the road.

The guy on the Home Renovision Youtube channel recommends the RENO brand, says these are built to the better quality level with stronger spring clips etc: https://renolighting.com/product/reno-3-s9w-345kwh/

But spec sheet says 9W is only good for 550 lumens of output, while most Amazon sellers are claiming 750 lumens for the same 9W. Are those just bogus claims?

Also any recommendations on spacing for a basement with 7.5" ceilings? Lots of websites recommend every 4' but that seems like a lot.
Consider putting your lights on alternating rows attached to a couple of switches, and using dimmers. It's easier to have too much light and dial it back than not have enough light.

And I'd trust a manufacturers spec sheet before I'd trust Amazon re-seller claims.

As far as the "Reno" brand, no idea. I do think your concern about lights burning out and not being able to find a match is valid. We bought a few extra lights, just in case. Also consider ease of returns; when we did pot lights in our kitchen, we had a couple that needed to go back to HD because the light color output didn't match. It would have been more of a pain with an Amazon purchase.

C
Sep 12, 2017
86 posts
47 upvotes
I'm pretty keen about the Liteline slim pots. Great light quality. Available through dealers like Home Hardware. Price varies from $45 to $25 on sale.

I've installed a bunch from Rona lately. The Trendz line as well as the sLED brand. Both are ok. Oddly enough I found the sLED too bright and had to install a dimmer to tame them down, usually its the opposite. They go on sale regularly so wait a few weeks if they're full price.

CHM.
Jun 4, 2020
120 posts
74 upvotes
Clarington, ON
I've done a bunch of the liteline slims. Not the cheapest, but not garbage either.
[OP]
Oct 22, 2002
142 posts
9 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the tips. Looked at the Liteline and Trenz and wow those are pricey! At that price level there is also Halo which is the top shelf option at Home Depot. I saw one in a demo box and it looked solid with 5 selectable colour temps.

But I checked Amazon again and one of the "brands" is actually a real company in Quebec, and they sell direct as well: https://nadair.ca/recessed-slim-lights/ ... h-round-2/

At $256 for 24 that's just over $10 a light, with a 5 year warranty. 12W, 900 lumen, 80 CRI. I could get 3 units for the cost of a single Halo, and keep 2 as spare Smiling Face With Open Mouth Anyone have experience with this brand?

Will keep an eye on Rona/HH for sales but leaning toward the Nadair at this point.
Feb 26, 2019
281 posts
246 upvotes
Ottawa
Another vote for liteline. I used the Luna series. Like everything, you get what you pay for. I know this is RFD and it’s all about the deals, but don’t fool yourself into thinking the $10 pot lights and the $75 pot lights are the same.

The cheap ones do not have any optic directing the light down, so it mostly shines up near the ceiling and creates a lot of glare. They aren't bad in basement rec rooms where the ceiling is lower, but I personally don't like them anywhere else in a house!

Go to a lighting store and ask for a bulk price if you are buying enough of them. Last year I bought about 35 and they knocked 25% off the retail price. They also knocked 25% of the 10 dimmers I bought too. Never hurts to ask.
Dec 19, 2015
691 posts
357 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Just a tip for light spacing as you asked. Don’t think of the entire basement as a single room if you have different areas (I.e seating/tv, table etc). Split it up and align the lighting for each zone, with a separate switch (or two) for each one. With my 7.5’ ceilinged basement I have four @6’ apart in my “TV” area, another 3 (3” led) behind that in the bar area (around 4ft apart) and then another four 6’ apart in a square in the dining area.

This is using 4” Halo LED retrofit lights (excluding the 3 3” retrofit lights) - 600 lumen in around 500ft2 of basement.
[OP]
Oct 22, 2002
142 posts
9 upvotes
GTA
Andy34 wrote: Just a tip for light spacing as you asked. Don’t think of the entire basement as a single room if you have different areas (I.e seating/tv, table etc). Split it up and align the lighting for each zone, with a separate switch (or two) for each one. With my 7.5’ ceilinged basement I have four @6’ apart in my “TV” area, another 3 (3” led) behind that in the bar area (around 4ft apart) and then another four 6’ apart in a square in the dining area.

This is using 4” Halo LED retrofit lights (excluding the 3 3” retrofit lights) - 600 lumen in around 500ft2 of basement.
Thanks for the tip. For the areas with 6' spacing do you find the brightness just enough or do you usually tone it down with a dimmer?

I contacted one of the manufacturers and they suggested 3' spacing which sounds ridiculous.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4466 posts
1025 upvotes
mrgreenjeans wrote:
I contacted one of the manufacturers and they suggested 3' spacing which sounds ridiculous.
I believe 4' is standard, 3' is an attempt to sell you more potlights.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Dec 19, 2015
691 posts
357 upvotes
Calgary, AB
mrgreenjeans wrote: Thanks for the tip. For the areas with 6' spacing do you find the brightness just enough or do you usually tone it down with a dimmer?

I have them on about 50% most of the time. Honestly I like a bright room, but at full power they are way overkill!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
3687 posts
1225 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
4' is usually a pretty good spacing maybe 5' depending on how it works out in the area. One thing people often overlook is the light distribution and only consider how "bright" it will be. I'm a big believer in a few extra lights and everything on dimmers. Dimmers will allow you to have whatever level of brightness you desire and having more lights will allow you to maintain a consistent level of lighting across an area with less shadow.

I would recommend calling whatever electrical distributor is around and seeing which ones sell to the public. A few good brands are NDR electric and Lotus. You should be able to get these in the $25-40 range. They are quality lights and I would recommend either of them.
Jul 2, 2013
624 posts
167 upvotes
Aurora
mrgreenjeans wrote: Looking to outfit a basement with 20-30 of these lights. Any recommendations on seller or brand? Lots of choices on Amazon but most have a failing grade on FakeSpot. I'm particularly concerned about the cheaper quality units failing over time as these are all integrated and it would be hard to source an exact match a few years down the road.

Don't buy junk, what you want to look for is a true CSA certification pot light and not ETL. Lithonia wafers come to mind and they are top notch in regards to quality.
Apr 25, 2010
182 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone heard of Luminiz? Do they make good potlights?
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3967 posts
1365 upvotes
GTA
Slim pot lights sound nice until they stop working and you need to replace the whole unit rather than just the bulb 🤷‍♂️