Recommendations for backup software for Synology NAS

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2020 3:55 pm
[OP]
Feb 2, 2010
974 posts
810 upvotes

Recommendations for backup software for Synology NAS

I recently had a power failure on my Synology NAS which resulted in some data loss. I'm now backing up locally but am looking for a recommendation for a cloud-based solution. I have a 1TB plan with OneDrive but the configuration options on the Synology app leave a lot to be desired. I was trying out IDrive but had an issue with my free account that took their support 3 days to respond to, so no thanks to trusting them with my backups. Can anyone chime in with their experiences with whatever software they're using? My needs are fairly simple:
I want the encryption to take place on the NAS before transmission and\or for the storage provider to be unable to decrypt
I will be setting up a fairly basic schedule for a couple of folders to be backed up on a regular basis
Price is a factor but not the most important one, although some providers are way out there on prices for even smaller amounts of storage space.

Any thoughts are welcome.
18 replies
Mar 11, 2007
54 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
Amazon Glacier or Azure Blob Storage in Archive
Approx $1 / tb / month
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4062 posts
674 upvotes
Toronto
I use Backblaze with my Synology. The Synology app that handles the backup is (IIRC) Hyper Backup. Sync happens every night. Not sure about the encryption though.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2982 posts
479 upvotes
Toronto
JHW wrote: I use Backblaze with my Synology. The Synology app that handles the backup is (IIRC) Hyper Backup. Sync happens every night. Not sure about the encryption though.
Hyper Backup supports BackBlaze? Last time I checked it was only CloudSync that supported BackBlaze. WIll check again, as this could change things.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2982 posts
479 upvotes
Toronto
Tapout123 wrote: I recently had a power failure on my Synology NAS which resulted in some data loss. I'm now backing up locally but am looking for a recommendation for a cloud-based solution. I have a 1TB plan with OneDrive but the configuration options on the Synology app leave a lot to be desired. I was trying out IDrive but had an issue with my free account that took their support 3 days to respond to, so no thanks to trusting them with my backups. Can anyone chime in with their experiences with whatever software they're using? My needs are fairly simple:
I want the encryption to take place on the NAS before transmission and\or for the storage provider to be unable to decrypt
I will be setting up a fairly basic schedule for a couple of folders to be backed up on a regular basis
Price is a factor but not the most important one, although some providers are way out there on prices for even smaller amounts of storage space.

Any thoughts are welcome.
CloudSync can encrypt locally before uploading to the cloud. However, it's file by file, so if you have 10,000 files you're backing up, it will be a pain to restore (you'd have to decrypt each file individually).
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2982 posts
479 upvotes
Toronto
admiraltictac wrote: Amazon Glacier or Azure Blob Storage in Archive
Approx $1 / tb / month
What's the cost per TB to restore the data?
Mar 11, 2007
54 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
trane0 wrote: What's the cost per TB to restore the data?
You'll have to look it up for the exact number, but it's a lot. Like $50 per tb.
What you can do is you backup data in tiers. Hot storage if you'd like to retrieve frequently, cold storage for monthly/quarterly retrieval, and archive for yearly/disaster only.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2982 posts
479 upvotes
Toronto
admiraltictac wrote: You'll have to look it up for the exact number, but it's a lot. Like $50 per tb.
What you can do is you backup data in tiers. Hot storage if you'd like to retrieve frequently, cold storage for monthly/quarterly retrieval, and archive for yearly/disaster only.
My backup plans are usually more fluid. Individual file backups one place (so can restore one at a time on demand), full archive backups to another place. And full restore from cloud backup never (especially if there's already local backups).

More thinking about the cost of doing a test restore exercise.

Good detail tho!
Jan 25, 2006
917 posts
247 upvotes
Nova Scotia
I use hyperbackup between 2 Synology Units. One is in my home the other at a buddies place. We have no caps on data in NS so it was a no brainer. Case of beer for him for allowing me to use his place as my DR site. :)
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2675 posts
736 upvotes
I agree. Your cheapest solution is just get another Synology and park it at a friend's place.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4062 posts
674 upvotes
Toronto
trane0 wrote: Hyper Backup supports BackBlaze? Last time I checked it was only CloudSync that supported BackBlaze. WIll check again, as this could change things.
You're correct, I'm using CloudSync (just checked). My mistake earlier. Not sure if HyperBackup would support it -- I've never looked.
[OP]
Feb 2, 2010
974 posts
810 upvotes
Thanks to everyone who has contributed, lots of good information here.
I decided to use Backblaze B2 with Hyperbackup client. Backblaze had good reviews, decent pricing (approx $45\year for my needs) and also offered client side encryption. The issue I'm having so far is the initial backup speed. It's been running for 2 days and so far has uploaded 2GB. Admittedly, since it's mostly my photo archive, it's a lot of small files (over 20,000) so possibly it's the client side encryption thats slowing this down, but man I figured it would be long done by now. I already have a local USB backup of everything so if I decide BB isn't for me I'll just delete the archive and cancel my sub, and move on to something else (admiraltictac's suggestion seems intriguing as I really dont need this for repeated restores, just disaster recovery, and I love the idea of a remote second synology, but I literally have no where to host it, but it's intriguing nonetheless). I'll post with my experiences with BB as I move forwards.

BTW......a downvote? Seriously? Did I fail to properly capitalize or something?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3276 posts
18499 upvotes
You are looking at spending money for a cloud solution for backup or DR but what you should really be investing in (and should’ve been done right from the start) is a UPS solution which is connected to your NAS so it can shutdown safely with enough time. Spend your money here first before you start looking at backup/DR options.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1961 posts
314 upvotes
Brampton
markopas wrote: You are looking at spending money for a cloud solution for backup or DR but what you should really be investing in (and should’ve been done right from the start) is a UPS solution which is connected to your NAS so it can shutdown safely with enough time. Spend your money here first before you start looking at backup/DR options.

This should be #1 in any electronics (that are sensitive or you value) that can be impacted by surge in voltage in general. If buying a new UPS is out of the budget, buying a re-conditioned one is an option.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2982 posts
479 upvotes
Toronto
Tapout123 wrote: I decided to use Backblaze B2 with Hyperbackup client. Backblaze had good reviews, decent pricing (approx $45\year for my needs) and also offered client side encryption. The issue I'm having so far is the initial backup speed.
Very interesting, this seems to be a new integration that BB published in the last month or so. It's using their implementation of the S3 API, I wonder if it needs tuning of some kind to work better with your use case (thousands of small files).

Will be looking into this for HyperBackup myself.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)