Recommendations for budget laptop for CAD/Simulation

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2020 2:13 pm
[OP]
Aug 19, 2015
63 posts
20 upvotes

Recommendations for budget laptop for CAD/Simulation

Can I get some recommendations for budget “workstation” laptops that will be able to run programs such as Solidworks/Ansys?

EDIT: doesn’t have to be workstations, gaming laptops are okay as well. Looking for the $1000-$1500 price range

Thanks
Last edited by ChefCurry on Jul 25th, 2020 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4963 posts
1961 upvotes
Vancouver
What do you mean by "budget" ? In terms of $$.

How much patience do you have to wait for the renders?

Why wouldn't a "budget" gaming laptop (~$1200) with at least 16G RAM (and the option to go bigger), 256G or 512G SSD, discrete Nvidia GPU, 1920x1080 screen, and a newer CPU work?

[OP]
Aug 19, 2015
63 posts
20 upvotes
NewsyL wrote: What do you mean by "budget" ? In terms of $$.

How much patience do you have to wait for the renders?

Why wouldn't a "budget" gaming laptop (~$1200) with at least 16G RAM (and the option to go bigger), 256G or 512G SSD, discrete Nvidia GPU, 1920x1080 screen, and a newer CPU work?

I was looking in the $1000-$1500 range.

Lots of patience for renders so no issues there.

It’s just everyone says that the GPUs used in the workstations are better for CAD, but if you have any recommendations for gaming laptops that could manage and are not too expensive, I’d appreciate it.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4963 posts
1961 upvotes
Vancouver
ChefCurry wrote: It’s just everyone says that the GPUs used in the workstations are better for CAD, but if you have any recommendations for gaming laptops that could manage and are not too expensive, I’d appreciate it.
I had the question re discrete gaming GPU's (but not a purpose specific GPU's like the Quadro or Radeon Pro) and what they bring to that application over on board low end GPU's. It's been several years since I looked at this.

I read this but I'm sure that in 13 months there has been some updates:

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/3 ... pu-for-cad