Recommendations for caffeine-free tea that's good with milk and sweetener

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2020 8:07 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes

Recommendations for caffeine-free tea that's good with milk and sweetener

I don't particularly enjoy tea without milk and sweetener (my preference is honey). I only know of black-teas that are good with milk and honey (e.g. English breakfast, Early Grey, orange pekoe), but I'm looking for caffeine-free option to have in the evenings, which means herbal teas but I don't think herbal teas would be good with milk, are they? I have never tried decaffeinated black tea but haven't heard good things about them. Just looking for other options/ideas for those who take milk and honey (or sugar) with their tea.
14 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
I think whatever teas you like with milk and sugar will be the same decaffeinated.
Decaffeinating tea is by soaking leaves in ethyl acetate to remove the caffeine
https://senchateabar.com/blogs/blog/pro ... -decaf-tea
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I think whatever teas you like with milk and sugar will be the same decaffeinated.
Decaffeinating tea is by soaking leaves in ethyl acetate to remove the caffeine
https://senchateabar.com/blogs/blog/pro ... -decaf-tea
Thanks - I did not know that was the process. From my understanding, that process changes the taste of the tea hence it doesn't taste good...I suppose the milk and honey might mask the difference (if there is any).
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
hierophant wrote: Thanks - I did not know that was the process. From my understanding, that process changes the taste of the tea hence it doesn't taste good...I suppose the milk and honey might mask the difference (if there is any).
Not really a tea drinker but many of my friends are so when I go there, I drink tea. There are tea snobs just like coffee snobs and some of my friends are huge tea snobs LOL.
One of the snobs gave me lesson and told me all teas are from one plant (herbals excepted). The only difference was the fermentation length of the leaves. the lighter the tea, the less caffeine.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Not really a tea drinker but many of my friends are so when I go there, I drink tea. There are tea snobs just like coffee snobs and some of my friends are huge tea snobs LOL.
One of the snobs gave me lesson and told me all teas are from one plant (herbals excepted). The only difference was the fermentation length of the leaves. the lighter the tea, the less caffeine.
Interesting, I did not know this either!
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton
Tetley decaf orange pekoe tastes pretty much like regular Tetley. There's no aftertaste or anything. I drink it black but the rest of the family drinks it with milk and sugar.
Feb 19, 2011
20 posts
13 upvotes
Scarborough
How about lavender tea? If you love the scent of lavender, you will likely love lavender tea too. It helps with sleeping disorder.
Jun 2, 2012
329 posts
319 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Red rooibos is my recommendation.

It has a deep strong flavour, similar to black tea but is caffeine free.

I buy bulk from amazon, but you can get a small pack to try from a grocery store first. Don’t buy flavored. Just plain red rooibos.

I like the Davidson’s brand I link below. They also carry “earl grey red” which is red rooibos earl grey. Amazing but out of stock right now.

Amazon link here: https://www.amazon.ca/Davidsons-Tea-Org ... 184&sr=8-6
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2647 posts
846 upvotes
GTA
Tim Horton's apple cinnamon is decafe and makes a nice latte
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
6060842 wrote: ...

There are alcohol snobs and food snobs too and then there are people .....

And tea snobs :) You are the proof of my statement LOL
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
6060842 wrote: As someone has been in the industry for decades I don't like to see people who think they know spreading inaccurate information.
Please identify the inaccurate information?
The website https://senchateabar.com/blogs/blog/pro ... -decaf-tea info is wrong?
"all teas are from one plant (herbals excepted)." is wrong?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
6060842 wrote: The bolded statement is mostly correct which I agreed with. I do have an issue with the rest of the statement which you made but did not include when you quoted yourself. The part you omitted is included in the following ...

1. Fermentation is not normally a process used in tea production, there are exceptions but I'm not looking to write a book right now. Even if you had used the correct process "oxidation" it's still not quite as simple as your friends have taught you and there are several additional processes that distinguish types of tea and their flavour.

2. Your statement about caffeine levels and tea colour is also misleading. There are many factors which influence the caffeine content and your statement is a grossly over-simplified and untrue.

3. You cherry picked one method and stated it as if it were the one and only method. It's not even the most common. The statement is completely misleading even if you did post some random link that gave more accurate information.

Again there is a difference between a snob and someone who has some real in depth knowledge about a subject. I'm not sure why you would use that word quite so flippantly when your own understanding and advice on the subject is cocktail party level at best.
Wow...for sure yours is bigger than mine. Feel better LOL
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
6060842 wrote: Maybe it is , but completely irrelevant to the discussion. You asked for me to address the inaccuracies in your statements and I did. Interesting tack you take when your authority on all matters is exposed for what it is.
As I said, "One of the snobs gave me lesson and told me all teas are from one plant (herbals excepted)."
I then posted a link for anyone wanting more detail could read. Any inaccuracies should be taken up with the author.
Fermentation is an acceptable and commonly used term for tea leaf processing. "Commonly referred to throughout the industry, the process referred to as fermentation in tea production is actually a different chemical process, known as oxidation. Meanwhile some tea-based beverages employ natural fermentation in their production." https://eatcultured.com/blogs/our-aweso ... mented-tea
Any inaccuracies should be taken up with the authors of those links.
No "Interesting tack", just a participant in a discussion... Who am to challenge a tea snob?
Feb 26, 2017
285 posts
135 upvotes
I bought a bottle of this Kirin Milk Tea and like it. It has a really refreshing taste after each sip. I am trying to make this drink myself but not sure what kind of tea and milk.

https://www.londondrugs.com/kirin-milk- ... 40577.html
https://www.amazon.ca/kirin-Kirin-Milk- ... B07DD7JC1Z

Very nice to drink a nice glass of this cold milk tea in the afternoon or evening.

Kirin Ichiban beer is also my favourite beer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)