Parenting & Family

Recommendations for a car seat (Honda Civic)

[OP]
Member
Apr 20, 2011
369 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto

Recommendations for a car seat (Honda Civic)

So our first baby is 8 months and almost weigh 10Kg. I read up online that they should move from "backward" facing carseat to "Front facing" car seat once they are 1 year old AND are at least 10Kg in weight. Currently we have nuna car seat (and nuna stroller) but one of the issue that we faced that the car seat (when plugged into hooks) was little bit higher from baby's head side which made our baby fall forward whenever we had to drive. I had to adjust the inclination of the car seat by stuffing in some cardboards underneath so that it is levelled.

Now we are looking for a front facing car seat and don't want to get into any surprises. We own 2016 Honda Civic (not sure if it matters). So was wondering if there are any recommendations. My wife is eyeing on Nuna 5 in 1 convertable but its $700 ... I don't want to spend that much. I am trying to find something with in $300 - $200 budget.

Requirements
1. Safe and Secure
2. Installation should be easy. Nuna's installation was super easy
3. No issue with installation in Honda Civic 2016

Any recommendations
18 replies
Member
May 21, 2012
313 posts
250 upvotes
Burlington
The minimums to forward face are 1 year and 10kg in weight. This is a minimum - in other words it gives you minimum safety. The Canadian Pediatric Society and others recommend keeping a child rear facing as long as they fit the height and weight limits of their seat (up to 2, 3, even 4 years old: https://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/handou ... eat_safety)

Ideally your next seat should be one with higher height and weight limits rear-facing than your Nuna Pipa, but then can also be used forward facing once the seat is outgrown rear-facing.

The Nuna Pipa is known to be fairly upright when installed correctly. For your next seat, you may want to look for a seat that allows a range of angles when installed rear facing to avoid the head slump (although head slump in a child with head and neck control is typically not an issue). The Civic will also be tight front-to-back, so you will want to look for a seat that is compact front-to-back (there is a huge range in the amount of space different car seats require when installed rear-facing).
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
3049 posts
1735 upvotes
Ottawa
hyph3n wrote: So our first baby is 8 months and almost weigh 10Kg. I read up online that they should move from "backward" facing carseat to "Front facing" car seat once they are 1 year old AND are at least 10Kg in weight. Currently we have nuna car seat (and nuna stroller) but one of the issue that we faced that the car seat (when plugged into hooks) was little bit higher from baby's head side which made our baby fall forward whenever we had to drive. I had to adjust the inclination of the car seat by stuffing in some cardboards underneath so that it is levelled.

Now we are looking for a front facing car seat and don't want to get into any surprises. We own 2016 Honda Civic (not sure if it matters). So was wondering if there are any recommendations. My wife is eyeing on Nuna 5 in 1 convertable but its $700 ... I don't want to spend that much. I am trying to find something with in $300 - $200 budget.

Requirements
1. Safe and Secure
2. Installation should be easy. Nuna's installation was super easy
3. No issue with installation in Honda Civic 2016

Any recommendations
Safer rear facing for as long as possible (both size and socially IMHO).

Easy Installation? You do it once so if it is a bit more complicated it shouldn't be that big a deal.

For sure some seats fit better in some cars so try them out.

I love Foonf. Originally because it was super narrow but have had many seats and it is by far the best in all aspects. And yes easy to install. It is also not cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8571 posts
1388 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote: Safer rear facing for as long as possible (both size and socially IMHO).

Easy Installation? You do it once so if it is a bit more complicated it shouldn't be that big a deal.

For sure some seats fit better in some cars so try them out.

I love Foonf. Originally because it was super narrow but have had many seats and it is by far the best in all aspects. And yes easy to install. It is also not cheap.
The foonf has the rigid uas which makes install in some vehicles a lot easier. However it's important to note that once a kid hits 48lbs, you have to switch to seat belts anyways. The foonf also is higher in height which can be restrictive in certain cars.

For us we opted for the fllo to regain those 3". We also have 3 Cleks side by side meaning it's seatbelt install only. The uas positions don't work for such a tight install configuration.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2189 posts
2002 upvotes
Ottawa
The recommendation from almost anyone in the child safety business is to keep the child rear facing as long as possible, i.e. until they've hit the maximums of the rear facing car seat. 1 year and 10 kg is way, way, way too soon to turn them around. It's certainly a good time to move baby to a rear facing convertible car seat, though; you might be approaching the weight limits of the infant seat, and 10kg gets difficult to lug around in some of those infant carriers.

Please watch this:



We have a Corolla. We have our 2 year old rear facing in a Graco Extend2Fit. It's relatively compact front to back, but takes up about 1.25 seat widths so not good for 3 seating across in the back. My wife is 5'3" and can sit in the front passenger's seat with the Graco installed rear facing, but at 6' I can't. The front seat can only be pushed back a couple notches.

We bought the Graco because it's fairly compact front to back, but, most importantly, it has the highest rear facing weight limit on the Canadian market at 65-lb, and some of the best crash test ratings.

They're regular $300, but they go on sale every few months for as low as $200.
Banned
User avatar
May 28, 2020
51 posts
5 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Britax Marathon/Boulevard ClickTight!!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
7396 posts
1569 upvotes
Scarborough
Walmart sale is best to get these, since these are not used all the time

I wonder if 3 seats (2 infant + 1 toddler) can fit in a corolla ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1344 posts
220 upvotes
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1031 posts
666 upvotes
Toronto
hyph3n wrote: So our first baby is 8 months and almost weigh 10Kg. I read up online that they should move from "backward" facing carseat to "Front facing" car seat once they are 1 year old AND are at least 10Kg in weight. Currently we have nuna car seat (and nuna stroller) but one of the issue that we faced that the car seat (when plugged into hooks) was little bit higher from baby's head side which made our baby fall forward whenever we had to drive. I had to adjust the inclination of the car seat by stuffing in some cardboards underneath so that it is levelled.

Now we are looking for a front facing car seat and don't want to get into any surprises. We own 2016 Honda Civic (not sure if it matters). So was wondering if there are any recommendations. My wife is eyeing on Nuna 5 in 1 convertable but its $700 ... I don't want to spend that much. I am trying to find something with in $300 - $200 budget.

Requirements
1. Safe and Secure
2. Installation should be easy. Nuna's installation was super easy
3. No issue with installation in Honda Civic 2016

Any recommendations
Go try them from buybuybaby, they allowed me to fit their demo onto my cars before purchasing. I didn’t need any padding for my Nuna Pipa in my sedan and SUV but I need extra padding to level for convertible seats on both cars due to the incline of rear seats.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2189 posts
2002 upvotes
Ottawa
Inclemental wrote: Go try them from buybuybaby, they allowed me to fit their demo onto my cars before purchasing.
Many companies allow this.

We tried seats at Toys r Us / Babies r Us, Westcoast Kids, and an independent local store in Calgary as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1344 posts
220 upvotes
Dynatos wrote: Many companies allow this.
We tried seats at Toys r Us / Babies r Us, Westcoast Kids, and an independent local store in Calgary as well.
I am only making use of RFD's tags... I am not asking.

RFD Westcoast Kids Discussions, Offers & Promotions
RFD West Coast Kids Discussions, Offers & Promotions
RFD Westcoastkids Discussions, Offers & Promotions

Are Clek, Fllo, Foonf brands good too?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2189 posts
2002 upvotes
Ottawa
Are Clek, Fllo, Foonf brands good too?
Clek is the brand. Foonf and Fllo are the models.

I've heard good things, but they're a higher price point.
Member
May 31, 2017
332 posts
87 upvotes
We LOVE our Clek foonfs. My kid is 5 - we've had him in the foonf since he was maybe 8 months old.

Not only is the seat itself great, but I found the people over at Clek to be extremely helpful. I had emailed them asking for clarity on when I could move from rear facing to forward, and I ended up having a long phone conversation with one of their reps about how to make long car trips easier and more fun.

My kid will size out of the foonf based on height before weight, likely in the next year or two, and then we will be getting one of the Clek booster seats.

The Clek seats are more expensive, but they often have sales too. In fact, you can get a fllo from them right now for $360 ( https://clekinc.ca/sale/ ).
Member
May 21, 2012
313 posts
250 upvotes
Burlington
Clek does have excellent customer service. They also maintain a "fit database", so often their customer service can answer if their seat fits your particular make and model of car before purchasing the car seat.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2001
1150 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
Inclemental wrote: Go try them from buybuybaby, they allowed me to fit their demo onto my cars before purchasing. I didn’t need any padding for my Nuna Pipa in my sedan and SUV but I need extra padding to level for convertible seats on both cars due to the incline of rear seats.
Was this pre-covid?
Member
Jan 19, 2017
427 posts
120 upvotes
regarding the Clek seats, when installed in the rear-facing mode, are they very long and push the front seat forward? we have a Subaru Impreza and are looking for a (rear-facing) seat that allows some room for the front passenger as well. thanks!
Member
May 21, 2012
313 posts
250 upvotes
Burlington
darXider wrote: regarding the Clek seats, when installed in the rear-facing mode, are they very long and push the front seat forward? we have a Subaru Impreza and are looking for a (rear-facing) seat that allows some room for the front passenger as well. thanks!
Usually the Foonf takes up less front-to-back space than the Fllo, but it depends on the specific vehicle. The Britax convertible seats tend to fit a little smaller (although there is also less leg room for the child rear-facing).

Top