• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2022 12:51 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Recommendations for consumer grade reverse osmosis

Looking to add an RO system into our drinking water. When I picked up an ice maker recently the ice quality from straight tap and even Brita filtered water compared to store bought distilled water was night and day. I could even taste the difference. First sea h on google recommends a brand called iSpring. American company but made in China fwiw. The systems they carry seem very novice for installation and price isn’t too bad. Was wondering if all the extras like alkaline demineralization and UV protection is necessary. I have a feeling the water in our building is not that great. We’ve gone through 2 faucets in the last 3 or 4 years due to rapid calcification on the faucet that it made the unit seize and start to leak.

I installed my own unit and at the same time thought about adding a better drinking source since Brita is tedious and isn’t very transparent as the pictures don’t tell you when to replace the filters.

At any rate I’m looking at the $300-500 range. Is this unit good? Can’t understand all then jargon.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/isprin ... 1001103065

With the current situation UB seems to be top of mind with safety.
23 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Looks very similar to the ispring system. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just rebranded Chinese product. So it begs the question why this over the ispring which has a lot of positive reviews. They also tout being a 6 filter system vs this 3. I’m pretty well a noice I don’t know if the extra layer of filtration is even effective or just marketing jazz.
Apr 21, 2004
903 posts
117 upvotes
Pickering
I installed this one in Feb 2020.

https://www.amazon.ca/iSpring-RCC7P-AK- ... NrPXRydWU=

I prefer the taste of alkaline water but some people can't tell the difference. The only thing I would caution about this particular model is that it takes up pretty much the entire cabinet if under a single sink and the model I installed was a powered one so you need 120V outlet in the cabinet.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Regin8r wrote: I installed this one in Feb 2020.

I prefer the taste of alkaline water but some people can't tell the difference. The only thing I would caution about this particular model is that it takes up pretty much the entire cabinet if under a single sink and the model I installed was a powered one so you need 120V outlet in the cabinet.
My previous assessment of their positive reception seems to be shaken after installing FakeSpot review Chrome extension and seeing they have an F rating.

If I may ask, how extensive did you research before deciding on an alkalined model and why? I find their huge range of products a bit overwhelming. I didn't even know RO water is high in PH (acid) level but it seems that's not a big concern since I drink more club soda than I do regular water which is way higher than RO. Always thought water was water and the greatest difference was filtered / distilled vs tap.

Either choice I go with is a win. I can stop buying bottled water to avoid the chlorine taste in tap water.
Apr 21, 2004
903 posts
117 upvotes
Pickering
This is our second RO system. We tore down our house and rebuilt it so we decided it was time for a newer unit. We had the Northstar NSRO42C4 for about 12 years prior to this one:

https://www.northstarwater.com/resident ... iltration/

The Northstar uses the same cartridges you find in the Home Depot EcoPure:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ecopur ... 1000803665

A friend has akaline water delivered and we preferred the taste so that, plus ours was fairly old which prompted the change.

I only did about maybe an hour of researching different models, flow rates, filter replacement costs. This model fit the bill in most of the categories. Fake reviews I assume are on every product with over 300 ish reviews, but if you look at some of them they actually include photos of the unit installed in cabinets. Everyone's tolerance for taking leaps of faith is different though. I can only testify that it wasn't hard to install, and we have had decent performance for 6 months. FULL DISCLOSURE: I have ordered my fair share of products that after a year, have eventually ended up in the landfill.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
CanadianHandyman wrote: Try these guys. Affordable, located in Toronto. I've put in a few systems from them and bought replacement cartridges over the years.

https://www.maxwaterflow.com/standard-r ... stems.html
Wow god prices but I don’t want people in my home. I bought a new faucet without much preparation and just winged it. Never done that before but watching the videos on the manufacturers channel it looks pretty straight forward.

What do you guys think of UV sterilization? Is this all a bit excessive?
Sep 12, 2017
193 posts
139 upvotes
I'm not sure what you mean by people in your home? They are a retailer, as far as I know. You buy the product and either pick it up or they ship. Although right now they are only shipping no pick ups.

UV is probably excessive assuming you are on a city water supply that is already providing safe treated water. If you were in a seasonal/cottage type situation where you pump your own water and need to treat it yourself it would be more important.

CHM
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6827 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
Regin8r wrote: I installed this one in Feb 2020.

I installed the same system only a month ago. Paid $382 - price bounces around a lot and I waited for a low point.
I'm very satisfied with the system. I wanted the pump because my water pressure is a little low. I wanted the alkaline filter for the improved taste - you can always remove it or simply not replace it in a year when it's worn out. The UV doesn't come with this model and I considered it a waste of money anyways - viruses and bacteria cannot pass through the main membrane..

Installation was lengthy since I mounted the system in my basement below the sink since the sink cabinet is a bit cramped as it is. Bolted a shelf to the concrete to hold everything up high near the ceiling and out of the way. I had bought extra tubing since I knew that installing in the basement would require a few extra lengths - manufacturer only includes 5' lengths of the different colors. Didn't like the stainless steel tap included so I bought the chrome version on Amazon for $52 and is matches existing faucets and the like now. Followed installation off a YouTube video rather than the instruction sheet.

Looked at the Costco system and saw a lot of complaints. For what it's worth the iSpring systems were always listed on best of web sites I looked at, whereas the Costco system was never mentioned on any of them. The big box when it came was stamped "Made in Taiwan" which I was happy to see. In my experience quality is always better from Taiwan than China.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
CanadianHandyman wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by people in your home? They are a retailer, as far as I know. You buy the product and either pick it up or they ship. Although right now they are only shipping no pick ups.

UV is probably excessive assuming you are on a city water supply that is already providing safe treated water. If you were in a seasonal/cottage type situation where you pump your own water and need to treat it yourself it would be more important.

CHM
I thought it was an all services inclusive deal like they’d come and install it for you.

At any rate I already ordered the ispring unit from HD.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Finally picked up my 6 Stage unit and installed it. Took almost 4 hours to get it going without issue.

Do you guys with the 123Water / iSpring units know if there is a way to secure the waste water tube? The one that goes from the filter assembly to the drain saddle. I have the pump assisted model and the first few fills of the tank, it had so much pressure it shot out the tubing because it doesn't have that blue locking clip, it's just seated in half an inch.

Water also has a lot of air bubbles when I shine a light source to see its clarity. I filled / drained about 2 tank full and it's still present. Is this normal?
Apr 21, 2004
903 posts
117 upvotes
Pickering
The bubbles go away after a few days of use. I cannot comment on the drain as ours was pre-plumbed for the reverse osmosis drain hose connector by our plumber.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Are there smaller system designed just for an appliance? I have a pricey ice machine and want the system just for it, mainly to filter out the softener additives. I cant use the hard water as it would smoke the ice machine.
Dec 16, 2006
657 posts
223 upvotes
Central Ontario
Jerico wrote: Are there smaller system designed just for an appliance? I have a pricey ice machine and want the system just for it, mainly to filter out the softener additives. I cant use the hard water as it would smoke the ice machine.
The system you are looking for depends on what type of connection and pressure your ice maker needs.
If it would work using a low pressure reverse osmosis system, I'd look at something like this Brondell system. It's a self contained unit that would work as long as you have a water source and drain.
I don't have a Brondell system - I have a Watts Premier system that installs using the same lines and connectors. My fridge ice maker is simply a tee fitting off the line going to the faucet. It would seem logical that if you cut the line going to the faucet and and connected it directly to your ice maker, it would supply water to an ice maker in a refrigerator.
But I don't know what connections or pressure you need for your ice maker
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
drb789 wrote: The system you are looking for depends on what type of connection and pressure your ice maker needs.
If it would work using a low pressure reverse osmosis system, I'd look at something like this Brondell system. It's a self contained unit that would work as long as you have a water source and drain.
I don't have a Brondell system - I have a Watts Premier system that installs using the same lines and connectors. My fridge ice maker is simply a tee fitting off the line going to the faucet. It would seem logical that if you cut the line going to the faucet and and connected it directly to your ice maker, it would supply water to an ice maker in a refrigerator.
But I don't know what connections or pressure you need for your ice maker
It’s not a fridge ice maker, its a stand alone under counter ice machine. They use standard pressure fittings that pumps into a reservoir that then flows over a freezing plate and the water takes away many of the impurities, but not all when its softener water. My one at the cottage on well water makes 100% clear ice, the one at home makes translucent ice and I’m trying to fix that.
Dec 16, 2006
657 posts
223 upvotes
Central Ontario
Jerico wrote: It’s not a fridge ice maker, its a stand alone under counter ice machine. They use standard pressure fittings that pumps into a reservoir that then flows over a freezing plate and the water takes away many of the impurities, but not all when its softener water. My one at the cottage on well water makes 100% clear ice, the one at home makes translucent ice and I’m trying to fix that.
I looked at a lot of reverse osmosis systems before I put in ours - all were low pressure which sounds like they wouldn't work.
I'm sure that what you need exists, but doubt if you'll find a compact r/o system that will fit the bill.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)