• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2020 10:21 pm
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
489 posts
306 upvotes
GTA

Recommendations for fragrance-free face creams for dry face

Getting older and trying to take better care of my dry face.

Any recommendations? Must be fragrance-free, for dry face, and preferably organic. Maybe something that also helps reduce wrinkles... Ideally, it's something I can find at SDM

While were at it, any recommendations for rest of the body too (primarily legs and arms)?

Thanks
Last edited by QuicKi7 on Sep 25th, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10547 posts
1747 upvotes
If you don't mind non-organic ingredients, Olay unscented sensitive skin would be a good start.
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one!
*external links and short links are not allowed
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3325 posts
610 upvotes
QuicKi7 wrote: Getting older and trying to take better care of my dry face.

Any recommendations? Must be unscented, for dry face, and preferably organic. Maybe something that also helps reduce wrinkles... Ideally, it's something I can find at SDM

While were at it, any recommendations for rest of the body too (primarily legs and arms)?

Thanks
Google Unscented Products and Fragrance Free Products - there is a difference. And then determine if you have any skin issues - both with fragrance maskers and with organic products (i.e. "natural" such as rose, lily, lavender. etc.). I do.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
489 posts
306 upvotes
GTA
Blanche123 wrote: Google Unscented Products and Fragrance Free Products - there is a difference. And then determine if you have any skin issues - both with fragrance maskers and with organic products (i.e. "natural" such as rose, lily, lavender. etc.). I do.
Didn't realize there's a difference. Thanks.

Updated OP to say fragrance free
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3325 posts
610 upvotes
QuicKi7 wrote: Didn't realize there's a difference. Thanks.

Updated OP to say fragrance free
The problem with Fragrance Free (if you have skin issues which I do) is that "nothing can be harsher than natural). For example, I can't use aloe vera, lily, lavender, rose, etc. etc. - which are all in organic products. I am better with herbal things. So if you have skin issues you could be in trouble. For examples, Clinique comes to mind. I can't use any of the products, but especially the Moisture Surge line. I tried it in my efforts to economize! I also can't use niacinimide which is in many products (e.g. CeraVe ) and I sure can't use anything by Olay. Nor can I use anything with Retinol, Lactic Acid, AHA etc. - I have very thin skin to begin with and it is very try. So basically I am at the mid price point of the higher end products.

It is trial and error. Use only one product from a line at a time so you will know what you can and can't use. I can use maybe one product from one line and another from a different one - but not all of the products. And of course the problem with an Unscented Product is the fragrance masker which you might or might not be able to use. But I can assure you that if there wasn't a fragrance masker you would not use the product. I will basically try anything provided the smell does not make me back away. The product line I am currently using is the one that I have had the most success with - I can actually use several of the products which is a first for me and I keep a backup. Of course when I go to repurchase many of the products have been reformulated or d/c. And I always take the old box with me but that doesn't help a lot of the ingredients have been sourced from a different place.

I can just get away with Cetaphil moisturizing cream when necessary but it is not rich enough for me. I have to use a moisturizing mask, a hydrating toner, a serum, a night cream during the day to avoid a combo cream with SPF and then a topical moisturizing SPF - it appears that all of the other creams that I apply first help with the SPF - and I am very pale. Finding a moisturizing SPF that does not turn white on your face or turn white clothing yellow is quite the feat (and expensive).

Then a cream foundation, one with full coverage is needed all for that natural look. Actually, when I have to wear a mask all of my creams help with the rubbing of the mask.

Being allergic to aloe vera is a serious problem these days with everyone wanting to spray you with hand sanitizer. And boy do they spray you. A little bit is okay but heck do they have to saturate me? My husband is now going into such stores - good, now he knows what I have been going through.

I have rosacea which is a major issue but products formulated for rosacea prone skin are major no-no's for me - and for others.

I need products that were made back in the day before all of these botanical products started and the acids etc. Actually I appear to be unable to use any products that are "yellow".

I hope you find something that you are able to use. I can't use anything from SDM - the ladies there were horrified at how things changed or made me break out.

Maybe try and find someone who has your type of skin and go from there. Getting old sucks!
Dec 12, 2005
528 posts
90 upvotes
Richmond
I like Cerave moisturizing cream. It is light that you feel like you did not apply any.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10547 posts
1747 upvotes
Olay sensitive skin is fragrance free too lol. It depends on your skin type, you can get either their lotion and cream.

For legs and arms, try Cerave.
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one!
*external links and short links are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6857 posts
1546 upvotes
Clinique Dramatically Different moisturizer is the most neutral moisturizer I have found.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13177 posts
2213 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I use Vaseline petroleum jelly on my face and body. On ewg.org, it has a low danger number rating.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
489 posts
306 upvotes
GTA
Blanche123 wrote: The problem with Fragrance Free (if you have skin issues which I do) is that "nothing can be harsher than natural). For example, I can't use aloe vera, lily, lavender, rose, etc. etc. - which are all in organic products. I am better with herbal things. So if you have skin issues you could be in trouble. For examples, Clinique comes to mind. I can't use any of the products, but especially the Moisture Surge line. I tried it in my efforts to economize! I also can't use niacinimide which is in many products (e.g. CeraVe ) and I sure can't use anything by Olay. Nor can I use anything with Retinol, Lactic Acid, AHA etc. - I have very thin skin to begin with and it is very try. So basically I am at the mid price point of the higher end products.

It is trial and error. Use only one product from a line at a time so you will know what you can and can't use. I can use maybe one product from one line and another from a different one - but not all of the products. And of course the problem with an Unscented Product is the fragrance masker which you might or might not be able to use. But I can assure you that if there wasn't a fragrance masker you would not use the product. I will basically try anything provided the smell does not make me back away. The product line I am currently using is the one that I have had the most success with - I can actually use several of the products which is a first for me and I keep a backup. Of course when I go to repurchase many of the products have been reformulated or d/c. And I always take the old box with me but that doesn't help a lot of the ingredients have been sourced from a different place.

I can just get away with Cetaphil moisturizing cream when necessary but it is not rich enough for me. I have to use a moisturizing mask, a hydrating toner, a serum, a night cream during the day to avoid a combo cream with SPF and then a topical moisturizing SPF - it appears that all of the other creams that I apply first help with the SPF - and I am very pale. Finding a moisturizing SPF that does not turn white on your face or turn white clothing yellow is quite the feat (and expensive).

Then a cream foundation, one with full coverage is needed all for that natural look. Actually, when I have to wear a mask all of my creams help with the rubbing of the mask.

Being allergic to aloe vera is a serious problem these days with everyone wanting to spray you with hand sanitizer. And boy do they spray you. A little bit is okay but heck do they have to saturate me? My husband is now going into such stores - good, now he knows what I have been going through.

I have rosacea which is a major issue but products formulated for rosacea prone skin are major no-no's for me - and for others.

I need products that were made back in the day before all of these botanical products started and the acids etc. Actually I appear to be unable to use any products that are "yellow".

I hope you find something that you are able to use. I can't use anything from SDM - the ladies there were horrified at how things changed or made me break out.

Maybe try and find someone who has your type of skin and go from there. Getting old sucks!
ai_c wrote: I like Cerave moisturizing cream. It is light that you feel like you did not apply any.
82 wrote: Olay sensitive skin is fragrance free too lol. It depends on your skin type, you can get either their lotion and cream.

For legs and arms, try Cerave.
bonterra wrote: Clinique Dramatically Different moisturizer is the most neutral moisturizer I have found.
Becks wrote: I use Vaseline petroleum jelly on my face and body. On ewg.org, it has a low danger number rating.
Wow! Thanks for all the replies!

I had to google a lot of what was mentioned, including the difference between lotion and cream, and learning more my skin type (thin vs thick, dry vs dehydrated skin)...

I think I'll ask my mother if she has anything I can try out first, and go from there. Maybe stop by SDM later on my way out.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6857 posts
1546 upvotes
Becks wrote: I use Vaseline petroleum jelly on my face and body. On ewg.org, it has a low danger number rating.
I've used it on my hands in the winter when they've been really dry, sleep with a coating under gloves. But the smell is too much for me for facial use,
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3815 posts
2585 upvotes
Jojoba oil for face and coconut oil for body. In the winter if you need extra protection mix in lanolin. For commercial products:

Sukin night creams meets all your requirements and can be found at SDM though cheaper here:

https://well.ca/products/sukin-moisture ... gLE4fD_BwE
https://well.ca/products/sukin-rosehip- ... gLkbPD_BwE
https://well.ca/products/sukin-purely-a ... gJ5SvD_BwE

For the body Everyone Lotion https://well.ca/products/eo-everyone-lotion_77891.html (cheaper elsewhere)
Before responding to someone (online or offline) ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? This comes from an old Sufi adage that is so relevant today.