Computers & Electronics

Recommendations for generic laser toner brands with chips?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2022 12:12 am
[OP]
Oct 16, 2009
95 posts
19 upvotes

Recommendations for generic laser toner brands with chips?

We need a new colour laser printer, so we're getting the HP Color LaserJet Pro M255dw.

Getting 3rd-party toner for this printer is a bit more complicated because the toners require "chips" to work. So you can buy more expensive with-chip toner, or cheaper chip-less toner (which you would need to extract a chip from the previous cartridge and put it into the new cartridge, but toner level tracking won't work and you risk breaking the chip during the process).

I've had good experiences with "Moustache" brand toner, but a set of 4 replacement cartridges costs $350.
I heard LD Products is the best in terms of generic brands, but it's even pricier.

Anyone have recommendations on what other generic toner brands to buy? Prefer cartridges WITH chips. Slight preference to quality over price; the printer isn't cheap and I don't want to wreck it due to a bad cartridge.
13 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20676 posts
6869 upvotes
Toronto
I generally buy Moustache.

I've tried several other brands and they're hit and miss. Moustache is not as good or lasts as long as OEM, but generally it is better than average for 3rd party.

I've never tried LD. If you mean London Drugs, that's because there is no London Drugs here.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3856 posts
1012 upvotes
Toronto
printer newbie here, but my laser toner is abit on the low side, so i will need to get a replacement soon. how do i know if my toner has a chip, is it visible on the outside?

the toner im supposed to buy when i need to replace my starter one is brother TN-730 or 760
Jul 17, 2010
321 posts
360 upvotes
Avoid HP if you are planning to use third party stuffs.
[OP]
Oct 16, 2009
95 posts
19 upvotes
chroma_cg wrote: how do i know if my toner has a chip, is it visible on the outside?
the toner im supposed to buy when i need to replace my starter one is brother TN-730 or 760
Your toner also has a chip. I know because I searched for your printer on this site, and the available toner for your printer comes in "with chip" and "no chip" variants. Even though the no-chip ones are much cheaper, the chipped ones aren't too expensive.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28716 posts
14276 upvotes
jellytot88 wrote: We need a new colour laser printer, so we're getting the HP Color LaserJet Pro M255dw.
Assuming you don't already own the printer, I'd buy a printer based on availability of toner and not the other way around.
Unless you're dead set on this printer for one feature or another it's gonna be easier and cheaper to buy a different brand that doesn't deal with chips.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7936 posts
4884 upvotes
Mississauga
Based on my printer usage, I replace toner about once a year. I don’t mind paying the extra for OE cartridges.

Obviously, YMMV. :)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35514 posts
8898 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
HP printers calls home (over the internet). If you have a third party toner cartridge with a chip, they will know and you will get an error
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3856 posts
1012 upvotes
Toronto
jellytot88 wrote: Your toner also has a chip. I know because I searched for your printer on this site, and the available toner for your printer comes in "with chip" and "no chip" variants. Even though the no-chip ones are much cheaper, the chipped ones aren't too expensive.
thanks. based on the youtube video that they have, looks like the chip swap should be a simple task?
https://www.123ink.ca/p-363304-tn760-no ... #sku374861
[OP]
Oct 16, 2009
95 posts
19 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Assuming you don't already own the printer, I'd buy a printer based on availability of toner and not the other way around.
Unless you're dead set on this printer for one feature or another it's gonna be easier and cheaper to buy a different brand that doesn't deal with chips.
Yeah, I know. But I did the research and this printer is the best one that meets all our requirements. The only downside of it is the expensive toners, so trying to keep that cost down without wrecking the new printer.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1343 posts
461 upvotes
chroma_cg wrote: printer newbie here, but my laser toner is abit on the low side, so i will need to get a replacement soon. how do i know if my toner has a chip, is it visible on the outside?

Same here. Looking for a 3rd party toner TN-331 or TN-333 for brother MFC-L8990cdw. I was told True Image brand of toner is good, but couldn't find my model on Amazon. Any other recommendations?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
5165 posts
5295 upvotes
Richmond Hill
itemsale2003 wrote: Same here. Looking for a 3rd party toner TN-331 or TN-333 for brother MFC-L8990cdw. I was told True Image brand of toner is good, but couldn't find my model on Amazon. Any other recommendations?
You typo'd the model number for the toner and threw me for a loop!

Anyways, try the Moustache at Costco. You can always easily refund if it doesn't work out.

https://www.costco.ca/moustache-compati ... 44576.html

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)