• Dec 31st, 2020 12:14 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1867 posts
1342 upvotes
Montreal, QC

Recommendations for good or decent skip/jump/speed rope

Any recommendations for good or decent skip/jump/speed rope?

With my fitness center closed (and not sure when they will re-open), I've decided to start this up again.

I don't need or care about any form of electronics/counters built into the rope or handle. For me, I will just be doing it based on the duration.
3 replies
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1153 posts
444 upvotes
Markham
Here are my bonafides: I've been skipping rope for 17 years, 30-35 minutes each session 4-5 times per week almost every week barring vacation and injury. This is me skipping 37 minutes (don't count the 2 minutes at the beginning to get set up and warmed up) wearing a 20 lb weight vest. In the first few years, I tried every type of rope I could get my hands on.

Important questions:
How long and how often are you planning on skipping?
What surface do you plan to be skipping on?

General principles (based on personal experience):
Don't get a leather rope. Even with ball bearing handles, the speed is too slow.
Don't use weighted handles. If you need to work on your grip endurance or your elbow flexion endurance, do something else. The weight of the handles will compromise your ability to perform the most important part of the action: skipping.
Avoid thick ropes. Thick rope is generally too light to go fast enough to develop a good rhythm.
Avoid thick handles. Foam grips especially, because you lose the feel of the rope. Better control with thinner and longer handles.

Adjusting to the right length is crucial. Standing with both feet together in the middle of the rope, the handles should reach your armpit. If you keep or drop your handles low when skipping, then it can be the end of the handle into your armpit. If you keep your arms higher, then the end of the handle that attaches to the rope should reach your armpit.

Speed ropes are the best.

If you're not going to be skipping too much, a cheap speed rope like this is fine: https://www.treadmillfactory.ca/treadmi ... -jump-rope This is as thick a rope as you should use.

Actually even if you skip a lot, because it's cheap, this style of speed rope is still fine, just plan on using it like a consumable. These types of rope typically fail at the handle. You can adjust for the length by either pulling rope through the handle and tying it at the free end, or just tying knots anywhere on the rope (preferably above the area where the rope hits the ground). The added benefit of adjusting by tying off the free end is that you can intermittently adjust the part of the rope that's between the handles (while keeping the same length) so that a different part of the rope at the handle is getting worn out. Even doing this, with the volume I was using it, a rope would last me 4-6 months before snapping. Just don't skip outside when it's cold as they become more brittle and snap even faster.

The other type of speed rope with a vinyl/plastic/nylon covered steel wire is more expensive but allows much faster action. Ones like this (https://www.treadmillfactory.ca/nylon-b ... -jump-rope) that have just bushings aren't the best because they have the slowest action. Even if there's ball-bearings in the handle (like this: https://www.treadmillfactory.ca/ball-be ... -jump-rope) aren't as that great either. The ones with a combo of bushing plus ball (that the wire goes through) (like this one: https://www.hayabusafight.ca/products/h ... -jump-rope or this: https://www.roguecanada.ca/froning-sr-1-speed-rope or this: https://www.treadmillfactory.ca/xtreme- ... -jump-rope ) are the best. Not only can they go the fastest (because both the bushing and ball give you the smallest amount of friction/resistance to allow the rope to rotate) but they let you have the most control over the speed, so you can go slower if you need to. Longer handles are better than shorter. Brand doesn't matter. Because the handles don't seem to wear out, I have some of the cheaper not-so-good-bushing-handle ropes on hand to swap out the wire if I need to. Sometimes you can find them on sale at Winners. Don't spend more for the aluminum handles which are typically more expensive and make no difference.

The failure point of the steel wire ropes is usually at the point of ground impact. The coating gets worn off, and then the braided steel wire gets exposed and frayed. This happened with the first steel wire rope I had, and I didn't notice until one of the frayed ends got stuck in the skin on my shins. So if you're going with this type of rope, I strongly recommend that you use some hockey tape to lightly wrap about 2 feet of the rope in the middle (that makes contact with the ground), and replace the tape when it gets worn. I've done this with my current rope, and it hasn't had a problem for a couple years (it's the one I'm using in the video). The amount of tape shouldn't be a lot; I use the width of the tape to wrap around the wire in ~3 inch segments. If you're planning on skipping on concrete, I wouldn't use this, use the cheaper one instead, because even hockey tape will wear through too quickly. But this is fine for any other surface.
Last edited by bdckr on Mar 26th, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1867 posts
1342 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bdckr wrote: Here are my bonafides: I've been skipping rope for 17 years, 30-35 minutes each session 4-5 times per week almost every week barring vacation and injury. This is me skipping 37 minutes (don't count the 2 minutes at the beginning to get set up and warmed up) wearing a 20 lb weight vest. In the first few years, I tried every type of rope I could get my hands on.

Important questions:
How long and how often are you planning on skipping?
What surface do you plan to be skipping on?

Thanks for your reply.

In terms of how long I will be skipping for, I plan to do it between 30 minutes and 1 hour approximately 5 times per week

I will be using it on a bare vinyl floor, I will be putting cardboard over the area or a mat over the area to protect the floor from possible abuse.

I'll look at the items that you suggested.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1153 posts
444 upvotes
Markham
lmcjipo wrote: Thanks for your reply.

In terms of how long I will be skipping for, I plan to do it between 30 minutes and 1 hour approximately 5 times per week

I will be using it on a bare vinyl floor, I will be putting cardboard over the area or a mat over the area to protect the floor from possible abuse.

I'll look at the items that you suggested.

Thanks.
Cheers. Got notified of your reply and just now realized I forgot to link to the video of me skipping:

Vinyl is pretty close to being the ideal surface because it is smooth, which allows the rope to slide/hit pretty freely, as well as causing the least amount of wear on the rope.

Be careful about skipping on something that isn't fixed down, especially something that has a surface that is rougher, like cardboard. There's the dual hazard of both slowing down your rope (the longer your rope stays in contact with the ground, the easier it is to trip on it) as well as slipping out from under you as you're skipping.

If you're lucky the cardboard slipping will just move around. If you're unlucky, your feet could slip out from under you when you're tired and not as focused at the end of your session.

A mat would probably slide less, but it's unlikely the surface will be nearly as good as vinyl. I'm currently skipping on composite/fake wood flooring at work and horse stall mats at home (same spot I use for deadlifting) and skipping at work is a LOT better.