Recommendations for Kitchen Floor Tiling Job - Pics Included

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2017 11:21 pm
Jul 9, 2010
120 posts
8 upvotes

Recommendations for Kitchen Floor Tiling Job - Pics Included

Hi Everyone,

We were wanting to get our floor tiling done in the kitchen and wanted to know if you can provide us with your recommendations for good tile installers?

I don't know what we have on the floors at this moment, it looks like vinyl? Or linoleum? I cannot tell but I've included pictures for you to see what's there currently.

A quote we received has the breakdown for the costs below. Are these prices fair?

• $450 to remove our existing vinyl flooring (only 1 layer of vinyl removal. More layers means more cost)
  • $200 to fix any damage on the floor after removal of vinyl
  • $190 to remove and reconnect our laundry washer and dryer.
  • $1800 to install floor tiles (we have to provide tiles and grout)
  • $250 to install a new toe-kick (they will supply the materials)

So altogether the total cost is $2900. It seems pretty expensive just for the labour considering our kitchen is only 113 square feet and the fact that we have to supply the tiles and grout ourselves. The length and width measurements are as follows.

Images
  • Untitled.jpg
  • Kitchen Floor Tiling.jpg
13 replies
Nov 26, 2009
396 posts
132 upvotes
I would focus more on what is being doing and the details of it over the price. Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good.

the breakdown seems high in some spots and low in others but overall 3k for the space which has lots of cuts and details to be added (tilling butting into the door, into the kitchen panelling, kick plates etc) I dont think its unreasonable. Get 2 more quotes if you're really concerned.

important questions to ask:

- Is the subfloor and deflection sufficient? What are the joist sizes and spans? For example an old 5/8th subfloor or diagonal 1x6 is the bare minimum and would operate better with an additional layer of ply.
- What is being done for underlayment? How will the underlayment be fastened?
- What will be the detail on the transitions? adding 1/2" ply topped with another 7/16th cementboard and thinset then tile with a 3/8th" trowel you're adding about 1.5" of height over the old floor, this transition needs to be considered.

you also want to consider the kitchen itself and the adjacent areas. is it staying for the foreseeable future? are you planning on re configuring it in the future? its best to tackle all these things at once.
Jan 14, 2012
391 posts
104 upvotes
Oshawa
kwasley well done. That was a good answer.

OP: To save cost you can demo everything yourself. Get them to install tiles thats tall.
Best underlayment for tiles would be ditra, you can buy it at HD or Lowes.

Here is a link to a good deflection calculator:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/deflecto.pl

On a side note when installing your pan liner try and get the liner up higher, at least 6 inch above the curb. cheers
Banned
Mar 8, 2016
12 posts
kwasley wrote: I would focus more on what is being doing and the details of it over the price. Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good.

the breakdown seems high in some spots and low in others but overall 3k for the space which has lots of cuts and details to be added (tilling butting into the door, into the kitchen panelling, kick plates etc) I dont think its unreasonable. Get 2 more quotes if you're really concerned.

important questions to ask:

- Is the subfloor and deflection sufficient? What are the joist sizes and spans? For example an old 5/8th subfloor or diagonal 1x6 is the bare minimum and would operate better with an additional layer of ply.
- What is being done for underlayment? How will the underlayment be fastened?
- What will be the detail on the transitions? adding 1/2" ply topped with another 7/16th cementboard and thinset then tile with a 3/8th" trowel you're adding about 1.5" of height over the old floor, this transition needs to be considered.

you also want to consider the kitchen itself and the adjacent areas. is it staying for the foreseeable future? are you planning on re configuring it in the future? its best to tackle all these things at once.
I agree with kwasley that “good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good.”

Centura Tile has a wide variety of tiles that you can choose from that might fit your needs, and you can check pricing according to your region. You can also Google to find the best tile provider near you.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Dostk wrote: We were wanting to get our floor tiling done in the kitchen and wanted to know if you can provide us with your recommendations for good tile installers?
My uncle works in the kitchen area in St Louis Du Ha!-Ha! I recommend him
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Tiling is the single most important job that can look great or look like shit...followed closely by painting. Funny how those are probably the top 2 jobs the average homeowner thinks they can tackle so underestimate the cost/value of good work but I digress.

What I can guarantee you is that a cheap tiler will do piss poor work. If they were good they would know they could charge more because they'd have non-stop work (good tile-setters are hard to find). I can also guarantee you that paying more does not automatically get you better work.

When I hire a tile-setter I ask them their price and where I can go see their work...90% of the time I don't hear back from them which is self-explanatory.

The price breakdown is a little odd...another thing, did they ask you what they would be installing? If not another red flag.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1803 posts
851 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Dostk wrote: Hi Everyone,

We were wanting to get our floor tiling done in the kitchen and wanted to know if you can provide us with your recommendations for good tile installers?

I don't know what we have on the floors at this moment, it looks like vinyl? Or linoleum? I cannot tell but I've included pictures for you to see what's there currently.

A quote we received has the breakdown for the costs below. Are these prices fair?

• $450 to remove our existing vinyl flooring (only 1 layer of vinyl removal. More layers means more cost)

So altogether the total cost is $2900. It seems pretty expensive just for the labour considering our kitchen is only 113 square feet and the fact that we have to supply the tiles and grout ourselves. The length and width measurements are as follows.

It is very expensive relative to prices in Ottawa. Runs about 10$ sq.ft here. I would also recommend removing the vinyl/linoleum yourself. You just have to cut it and pull it up.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Cas77 wrote: When I hire a tile-setter I ask them their price and where I can go see their work...90% of the time I don't hear back from them which is self-explanatory.
+1
Its a great idea to ask if you can visit a tradesman on his current job site. Works best for deck builders as your not entering a clients house but most are ok with a contractor showing the job site. Visiting later can be tricky, and who knows if the guy actually did that job....and he cherry picks his best work of course.
References and pics are the worst...reference can be a contractors brother in law and pictures of other peoples work.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21699 posts
17373 upvotes
Markham
Ever considered going to Home Depot...at least if you have a problem you have someone big to fall back on for recourse.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/instal ... ation.html

Our Gurantee

Always Quality Work

Every installer who works for you is experienced, highly skilled, licensed†, and back checked. You can be confident that you're getting quality workmanship.

Reliable and Worry-Free

Our installers are committed professionals, backed by a name you can trust. The Home Depot ensures our installers have passed numerous background checks through our partnership with

Learn More

These checks include:

Trade license checks (where required by local legislation);
Criminal background checks;
and up-to-date Workers' Compensation Coverage.

Your Results are Guaranteed

Our #1 priority is your satisfaction. We stand behind your project with a guarantee†† as solid as The Home Depot.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
385 upvotes
Markham, ON
Dostk wrote: Hi Everyone,

Price seems high... ($15/sqft just for labor)
But I know good tile installer are in demand and they can charge an arm and a leg nowadays.

Looks like you are not replacing the cabinet. If I were you and I really want to get rid of the ugly old school vinyl, I'd just buy some newer $2-$3 vinyl tiles and hire someone to lay them on top for like $300-400 labor. (Or do it yourself)
$300 materials + DIY or ($400 labor) vs $3000+

Wait until you are ready to renovate the whole kitchen (cabinets, appliances,etc) to spend that few thousands $ on tile. You usually want to have the floor tile wall to wall, and put the new cabinets on top.
(I made that assumption because your cabinets and appliances looks quite old...no point in having a nice new floor with 20 years old kitchen cabinet and appliances)
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Zamboni wrote: References and pics are the worst...reference can be a contractors brother in law and pictures of other peoples work.
True anecdote to prove your point; about 5 or 6 years ago I flipped a house and finished the basement. I really enjoy doing finish carpentry as a hobby (trim, architectural ceilings, etc...). My work looks ok but I'm by no means an expert or professional at it, I just find it relaxing for some reason. One Saturday I was bored, weather was crappy and wife was moody so I picked up a truckload of trim and mdf sheets and spent probably 15 hours in the basement making it look like a million bucks. 3 piece crown, wainscoting, I pimped out the teleposts. About a year ago my best friend emails me a link to a kijiji ad saying "hey do you recognize this basement?". Some trim installer had put up an ad on kijiji advertising trim installation services using half a dozen pictures of that basement I had done. I obviously did a little bit of digging out of curiosity asking for his name, telephone number saying I wanted him to quote some work. I figured it was the home buyer based on the number of pictures...I ended up finding out this was actually the real estate agent who listed the house years ago that was doing trim work on the side and was using pictures he took when he listed the house.

Never trust pictures on any ad/website/facebook
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2761 posts
1830 upvotes
GTA
Cas77, that's nuts. That's why it's important to watermark your photos if you're putting them online. Way too easy for people to take credit for your pictures now.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
exrcoupe wrote: Cas77, that's nuts. That's why it's important to watermark your photos if you're putting them online. Way too easy for people to take credit for your pictures now.
I couldn't watermark them they weren't my pictures and I never even put them online.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Cas77 wrote: I couldn't watermark them they weren't my pictures and I never even put them online.
Watermark your trim. Sign it :)