Real Estate

Recommendations on a lawyer with preconstruction condo experience?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2015 2:32 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 21, 2013
79 posts
28 upvotes

Recommendations on a lawyer with preconstruction condo experience?

Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone would be able to recommend me a lawyer that has experience dealing with preconstruction and has positive feedback on their work and help. My only resource is Google right now, I can see the ads on the side but I don't know how they really are in handling these situations and helping their clients. This is my first property purchase so I really need someone with experience.

Thank you. Any help is appreciated!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
2095 posts
1083 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Would be great if you told us what area you are located in...
Jun 21, 2013
79 posts
28 upvotes
Sorry my mistake, I forgot to mention that I live in the toronto area. Thanks for pointing that out.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
smileyface3 wrote: Sorry my mistake, I forgot to mention that I live in the toronto area. Thanks for pointing that out.
Your real estate agent should have an in-house lawyer you can use for free as long as you close with them. If they don't have their own lawyer, find a real-estate agent that does.

It's just standard boiler-plate terms and conds. your lawyer will revise for your own betterment and usually involves putting max caps or %'s.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
1294 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
Look for a lawyer that specializes in condos. They will know how to read the sales contract and know what should be in there that has been left out.Closing a condo sale is a little different than a regular property sale.
Doug Boswell
i
Jan 26, 2014
45 posts
12 upvotes
We moved not too long ago into a preconstruction unit. Ended up having our sales agreement reviewed by 2 lawyers- as the first was away while we needed some "lawyer letters" to bridge the cooling off period an extra day or two. The second also was able to enforce a cap on our closing costs. Saved $15k+. It was mostly his interest that got this done as the other wsa very well known and expeienced, with their own newspaper column and features on news programs as a preconstruction condo legal expert.

Asking around a few of our neighbors- some were able to negotiate this cap and others were not.

Best $300 I spent to have a second opinion on the contract.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)