Computers & Electronics

Recommendations for Media Cloud Backup

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2020 7:09 am

Poll: Recommendations

• Total votes: 11. You have voted on this poll.
Google Drive/Photos

55%
Apple iCloud

0%
Dropbox

9%
Other

36%
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5705 posts
1450 upvotes
Milton

Recommendations for Media Cloud Backup

One of my backup external harddrive (WD Ultra Passport) failed last night containing a decade of photos/videos which was devastating, To prevent this from happening again, I am looking for a seamless solution to back up media at original quality from our phones, dslr and other devices.

I will continue to use our remaining working harddrive and google photos' free 'high res' backup but I want add another online redundancy. I leaning towards iCloud because it will be seamless for my spouse and itunes gc is often onsale.

What do you guys recommend?
12 replies
Dec 5, 2006
181 posts
56 upvotes
North York
Dont throw out your damaged harddrive. I used to work for a data recovery service and you would be surprised how many failed drives of people who kept decades of photos we recovered for every single day. Hold onto it. You might be able to get all those photos back. After the stores reopen though as you dont want to have to ship the drive to any online service as it'll cause more damage to the drive.

Having a 2 drive raid setup + a cloud service is the best way to make sure you never lose a photo again.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42344 posts
6729 upvotes
Whichever cloud storage option you go with, just make sure its secure with a strong password and with 2FA/MFA enabled. Also do note that the cloud sharing company has access to your data. Even though they say they don't, but you never know. Look at the case with the ex Amazon employee who had access to everything. So your photos out there are made available to any employee of the company.

Just my two cents. Rather just be willing to accept the risk is all I am trying to say. I do also have cloud storage but don't post up personal/family photos. Those are backed up onto a bunch of hard drives that I have laying here.
Proud to be an Indian.
Aug 21, 2009
2225 posts
1368 upvotes
North Vancouver
djemzine wrote: Whichever cloud storage option you go with, just make sure its secure with a strong password and with 2FA/MFA enabled. Also do note that the cloud sharing company has access to your data. Even though they say they don't, but you never know. Look at the case with the ex Amazon employee who had access to everything. So your photos out there are made available to any employee of the company.

Just my two cents. Rather just be willing to accept the risk is all I am trying to say. I do also have cloud storage but don't post up personal/family photos. Those are backed up onto a bunch of hard drives that I have laying here.
Agreed. In addition to using Box and Dropbox (all free accounts), we have an external HD in our safe and another at my office. Redundancy is your friend here. :-)
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10301 posts
2669 upvotes
Winnipeg
Sorcerer wrote: Agreed. In addition to using Box and Dropbox (all free accounts), we have an external HD in our safe and another at my office. Redundancy is your friend here. :-)
they say you back up on cd/dvd or bluray. use a food vacuum sealer and keep in a fire safe. Will last along time.
Jun 21, 2008
541 posts
144 upvotes
mississauga
I second redundancy. I have the basic onedrive from m$, drive from google and icloud, but have extra copies of my IMPORTANT stuff on 2 other drives
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17231 posts
3475 upvotes
Toronto
InsomniaK wrote: Dont throw out your damaged hard-drive. I used to work for a data recovery service and you would be surprised how many failed drives of people who kept decades of photos we recovered for every single day. Hold onto it. You might be able to get all those photos back. After the stores reopen though as you dont want to have to ship the drive to any online service as it'll cause more damage to the drive.
Many of the portable WD drives have the USB connector soldered directly to the drive's logic board which makes recovery more expensive and labour-intensive. Also, if the drive is encrypted, the costs will quickly escalate.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4666 posts
2014 upvotes
GTA
Maybe Prime Photos if you already have a Prime account?

I've yet to try them but maybe something like Backblaze or Carbonite seem like good options. Backblaze for $60 USD / year for unlimited storage seems like a decent deal to back up all your data.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5705 posts
1450 upvotes
Milton
Thank you for everyone's responses!

Based on the feedback, I proceeded with upgrading to Google's 2TB option since its seamless with Android and iOS. I understand google will have access to my data but atleast my photos will stored.
Secondly, i will build a basic home nas for 2-3 drive raid setup (keeping an eye on it in Hot Deals)
Third, as suggested, burn it on bluray and store it safely.

InsomniaK wrote: Dont throw out your damaged harddrive. I used to work for a data recovery service and you would be surprised how many failed drives of people who kept decades of photos we recovered for every single day. Hold onto it. You might be able to get all those photos back. After the stores reopen though as you dont want to have to ship the drive to any online service as it'll cause more damage to the drive.
I will definitely hold on to it however I read recovery prices is upwards to $1000.. I rather take this as a lesson learn for not having a good backup/redundacy plan.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42344 posts
6729 upvotes
spena wrote: Thank you for everyone's responses!

Based on the feedback, I proceeded with upgrading to Google's 2TB option since its seamless with Android and iOS. I understand google will have access to my data but atleast my photos will stored.
Secondly, i will build a basic home nas for 2-3 drive raid setup (keeping an eye on it in Hot Deals)
Third, as suggested, burn it on bluray and store it safely.

I will definitely hold on to it however I read recovery prices is upwards to $1000.. I rather take this as a lesson learn for not having a good backup/redundacy plan.
Glad we could be of help.

Having a good backup/redundancy plan is always a great thing to have. From a consumer and non consumer perspective.

Offsite and offline :)
Proud to be an Indian.
8344 posts
5160 upvotes
Toronto
throwing in a recommendation for Amazon Drive which has been good for me with its simple web interface and apps. It used to be $60 a year for unlimited storage (those were the good days) but they realized that was a steal so now it's more in line with other providers at 1TB for $125 per year

As a general rule I keep 2-3 local hard drive backups of all my photos and stuff I'd never want to lose as well as a copy on Amazon drive
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1311 posts
3047 upvotes
spena wrote:
It's amazing what some software can do with data recovery. I haven't done it for years but had a hard drive die on an old mac and recovered 98% of it myself. Everything I needed. Lots of free tools out there now - don't know what's good but if you can shove the drive in an external enclosure you might be surprised what you can get off of it.