Recommendations on new router?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2019 12:52 am
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
eilrach wrote: our house is only 3200-3300 sq ft) and since it's 2 units, i can put one upstairs and another downstairs (vs the sole unit Time Machine/Capsule) right now that we have.
What is the actual area of the footing?
i,e you have multilevel house, but what is the area of the the largest level ?

As I said I have one router at almost dead mid of the house. and it gives good coverage of the house.

Are you able to put your router at the middle?
----
Pay it forward.
Jun 14, 2009
725 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
Supahhh wrote: What is the actual area of the footing?
i,e you have multilevel house, but what is the area of the the largest level ?

As I said I have one router at almost dead mid of the house. and it gives good coverage of the house.

Are you able to put your router at the middle?
i would guess the actual area of the house is 1600-1650 per floor... we can definitely put the router in the middle of the house as it seems to be ok right now (eg we put it in the computer alcove in the 2nd floor which is smack in the middle of all rooms that can extend from it)...

the only "part" where my cheap cellphone gets a weak signal is indeed in one small room that has church ceilings on the first floor but i still get it (where my phone signal is only 20/8 vs 40/10 for other gadgets). granted my phone never gets more than 20/10 on other parts of the house too but every other gadget seems fine in all parts of the house now since the sole time capsule is place in the middle part on the second floor of the house,... (house is open concept and there's actually like a small opening from the second floor to see the ground floor main door etc)
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2005
1950 posts
355 upvotes
My choice would be a edgerouter 10x, and a unifi acess point, bomb proof, can handle gig+ but not the most user friendly, but reliable and dependable. And you own't need a seperate switch since the 10x will have basically 9 switchports usable ... ;)
Nikon D810, 16-35 F4 VR, 70-200 F2.8E VR, 50 1.8

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)