• May 9th, 2021 1:03 am
[OP]
Jan 29, 2008
46 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

Recommendations on New Tankless Combi Unit

Good Day!

We are looking to upgrade our combi tankless water heater. Our townhouse is 4 years old, but unfortunately reliability of the current unit is terrible and most neighbors in the complex have already replaced their units.

The current setup is tankless boiler unit, with a forced air for heating, and a side electric tank water heater that cycles water (?).

I'm tossed on which unit to get, top 3 are below in no particular order. appreciated your recommendations and suggestions.

In all three options we plan to delete the electric water heater.

1. NAVIEN NCB180 Combi Boiler. - seems to be well recommended by 2 installers for ease of parts availability and tech support.
2. Triangle Tube Combi 199 MBH - just introduced a 3 year parts and labour warranty
3. Rinnai RUR199iN - seems to have great reviews and a brand well established..

Wifi and all extra features not important to me, just need reliable hot water.

thoughts?

Much appreciated.
10 replies
Dec 18, 2010
68 posts
6 upvotes
I had the Rinnai unit. It worked really well. Remember it takes 45 secs for the warm water to kick in, but after that you are good for as long as you want.

Also through my research, the installer is more important than the unit. Most problems arise from bad installs. So definitely spend a little more if you can get a longer labour/parts warranty from a reputable company.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14995 posts
9398 upvotes
Toronto
I have rinnai as well.

@newlyborn deals with this stuff all the time so he's well equipped to provide you with details.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3022 posts
1362 upvotes
Woodbridge
Out of the three tanks you specified only option 1and 2 qualifies for combi boiler. Out of these 2, I will pick option 1. Rinnai is equally good or better but you should not use RUR199 for combi bolier. One of the Combi boiler models for Rinnai is RINNAI i120CN
oz555 wrote: Good Day!

We are looking to upgrade our combi tankless water heater. Our townhouse is 4 years old, but unfortunately reliability of the current unit is terrible and most neighbors in the complex have already replaced their units.

The current setup is tankless boiler unit, with a forced air for heating, and a side electric tank water heater that cycles water (?).

I'm tossed on which unit to get, top 3 are below in no particular order. appreciated your recommendations and suggestions.

In all three options we plan to delete the electric water heater.

1. NAVIEN NCB180 Combi Boiler. - seems to be well recommended by 2 installers for ease of parts availability and tech support.
2. Triangle Tube Combi 199 MBH - just introduced a 3 year parts and labour warranty
3. Rinnai RUR199iN - seems to have great reviews and a brand well established..

Wifi and all extra features not important to me, just need reliable hot water.

thoughts?

Much appreciated.
koffey wrote: I have rinnai as well.

@newlyborn deals with this stuff all the time so he's well equipped to provide you with details.
@koffey Thank you for your vote of confidence
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Furnace & Central AC Group Buy 2021
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3022 posts
1362 upvotes
Woodbridge
You can completely overcome the delayed hot water issue. Rinnai RUR199I comes with an inbuilt circulating pump & reservoir tank. Delay is barely 5 sec or less now.
hbassi wrote: I had the Rinnai unit. It worked really well. Remember it takes 45 secs for the warm water to kick in, but after that you are good for as long as you want.

Also through my research, the installer is more important than the unit. Most problems arise from bad installs. So definitely spend a little more if you can get a longer labour/parts warranty from a reputable company.
[OP]
Jan 29, 2008
46 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks guys you have made up my mind. Seems the Rennai unit gets the vote. Will update with the install.

Last question. Do you think there is any issues in deleting the water heater tank from the original setup? I just don’t see the point in having two heating systems on a 2000 sqft house.

Person With Folded Hands
Dec 18, 2010
68 posts
6 upvotes
oz555 wrote: Thanks guys you have made up my mind. Seems the Rennai unit gets the vote. Will update with the install.

Last question. Do you think there is any issues in deleting the water heater tank from the original setup? I just don’t see the point in having two heating systems on a 2000 sqft house.

Person With Folded Hands
You def do not two heaters.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3022 posts
1362 upvotes
Woodbridge
You made the right choice. Just make sure that you get tankless boiler installed not tankless water heater. You certainly do not need a second water heater as backup.
oz555 wrote: Thanks guys you have made up my mind. Seems the Rennai unit gets the vote. Will update with the install.

Person With Folded Hands
[OP]
Jan 29, 2008
46 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks Guys! Will keep updated on the before after install.
Jan 3, 2013
598 posts
231 upvotes
Winnipeg
I am using the triangle tube instinct 155 combination boiler for domestic hot water and garage heat. It's been great. We didn't invest in a recirculation system so we do have hot water delay if the line cooled. We decided to not invest in that not so much to save money but cause we're on well and septic. So to us we don't mind the wait.

I strongly agree it is the install. I did want to mention triangle tube can be longer warranty if done by a triangle tube certified installer.

Cheers
Jan 31, 2011
928 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
hbassi wrote: I had the Rinnai unit. It worked really well. Remember it takes 45 secs for the warm water to kick in, but after that you are good for as long as you want.

newlyborn wrote: You can completely overcome the delayed hot water issue. Rinnai RUR199I comes with an inbuilt circulating pump & reservoir tank. Delay is barely 5 sec or less now.

Just got the RUR199i installed last month and i'm loving it. The built-in re-circulation feature works great without a dedicated return line. Only issue I found are the Control-R 2.0 wifi app only allows 1 phone to control it, and the thermal control valve makes little noise when it's opening/closing.