• Jan 16th, 2020 11:46 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 8, 2012
149 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto

Recommendations for a new TV

I want to purchase a new TV. OLED's are out of my budget, which is $1500 including tax, and the size I was looking for is from 55" to a 65".

The room it'll be in is not very bright, there are windows, but it doesn't get direct sunlight as the are north facing, we do get sunlight reflected from out neighbors windows though. At night we usually keep a lamp on so its not completely dark either.

We mainly watch movies and TV series (Streamed or Downloaded). Some sport, but not often. No gaming, although my current TV is connected to an Nvidia Shield.
8 replies
Mar 9, 2019
40 posts
34 upvotes
Under the moon
I would recommend the Sony x900f which I also purchased late last year after dealing with not so great Vizio sets. More than happy with the Sony to date and my watching habits are very similar to yours and I also use a Nvidia Shield with the TV. I believe the 65 inch version is currently on sale at costco for around 1700$ (plus tax) but honestly imo very much worth going the little extra above budget.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2012
149 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
JaytotheA wrote: I would recommend the Sony x900f
I saw this, at best buy over the weekend, and I liked it a lot. I noted that Costco has the x950g for $200 (for $1300) more, and I was considering ordering that today, so that I could get the 90 day return policy instead of 30. Just in case something better comes along in the next few months when the 2020 TV's start appearing on the shelves.

I have to get a new TV this week because my other half is driving me crazy.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1732 posts
549 upvotes
When buying a TV, keep in mind how large your living room is, is it appropriate in room. The other thing to keep in mind the type of tv panel screen. I think there are two types. One panel, is when look at it from front or side, the picture looks excellent. The other panel is, when you look at it from front picture looks great, but when look at it from side, picture looks washed out.

New tv tuner isn't that great compared to old tv tuner. Pick up less channels with antenna so to speak. I like the old tv stand, where you can rotated tv at any angle you like, something to keep in mind.

I brought Samsung 50 inch NU7100 for about $600 dollar or so. Old TV was Samsung too 40 inch or so. When the rotate the camera angle you notice it quite often compared to small tv.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2012
149 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote: X900F for $1700 at 65” is a reasonable deal.

Note that the 55” LG B9 OLED is $1799.99 at Best Buy, and less at other retailers.
Both options are a fair bit more than I want to spend unfortunately.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2012
149 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
I ended up going for the 55" x950g from Costco. If it doesn't work in my space or if it doesn't hold up to my old plasma or something better comes along in the next couple months I'll take it back. I feel the $200 premium, over the 900f, was worth being able to "rent" it for few months to make sure I'm 100% satisfied.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20330 posts
6512 upvotes
Toronto
OP, the Sony X950G is the replacement to the X900F so there should be some small improvements.
MasterMK wrote: When buying a TV, keep in mind how large your living room is, is it appropriate in room. The other thing to keep in mind the type of tv panel screen. I think there are two types. One panel, is when look at it from front or side, the picture looks excellent. The other panel is, when you look at it from front picture looks great, but when look at it from side, picture looks washed out.

New tv tuner isn't that great compared to old tv tuner. Pick up less channels with antenna so to speak. I like the old tv stand, where you can rotated tv at any angle you like, something to keep in mind.

I brought Samsung 50 inch NU7100 for about $600 dollar or so. Old TV was Samsung too 40 inch or so. When the rotate the camera angle you notice it quite often compared to small tv.
The Samsung NU7100 is a VA panel, like the Sony X950G (although the NU7100 is much lower end). VA panels generally look pretty good with good contrast, but their Achilles’ heel is mediocre to poor viewing angles. However, it’s not an issue if you’re always watching from a straight on position, like a couch facing the TV.

For LCDs, IPS screens have much better viewing angles than VA panels but also have much poorer contrast. However, it still usually looks very good if there is a lot of ambient light in the room (daytime, or else nighttime with all the lights on). However, if you like to watch TV in the dark (room with no windows, or nighttime with all lights off), the poorer contrast really stands out.

OLEDs have great viewing angles and also have best in class (mathematically infinite) contrast with the best blacks of all time in any TV ever made. However, OLEDs cost way more than both IPS and VA LCD panels.

For the record, I have a 65” OLED, LG C8, in my main dedicated TV room, where I watch mostly in the dark. In that room we don’t need super wide viewing angles but it’s not all straight on viewing either so good viewing angles do help for a couple of the seating locations. In the living room I have a 43” IPS TV, Sony X800E, as that TV is watched mostly with lots of ambient light and where we need very wide viewing angles. At the time no OLEDs existed that were small enough to fit in that location (custom cabinet that can fit a 48” TV max), but if I were buying this year, I’d buy a 48” OLED for the living room.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1732 posts
549 upvotes
Sorry, I like to correct myself. It's Samsung Series 7 50 inch RU7100 4K Ultra HD Smart TV on the box it say UHD, brought it from Costco during boxing day sale. The funny thing though was Samsung 6 Series TV set sold out pretty quickly the number was 6900 or so, meaning last bunch. When I did comparison between Series 6 and Series 7 on web. They said Series 7 is much better than Series 6 so on that hunch I brought Series 7. I was wondering why Series 6 sold out quickly, maybe because of price difference on sale.

I love my old Samsung 40 inch LCD TV. It's 120Hz. Did the color adjustment as per AVS Forum standard. Picture of Parrot Macaw looks amazing in 1080P. I still have to color adjust on 50inch RU 7100? There is some info on Youtube. But I looking for someone who has the spec of color adjustment dead on. I still have to buy 4K video player but that's another story for later on.