Computers & Electronics

Recommendations for parental control software for Windows?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2019 9:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2002
1073 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto

Recommendations for parental control software for Windows?

I'm getting a laptop for my daughter for the holiday and want to install some type of parental control software on it. The main purpose is to restrict the types of things that can be accessed on the internet, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to also have control around what can\can't be done on the system in general. I've looked in to several solutions already, but would love to hear from people who use such software\services.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2866 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto
If you just want to restrict access to things, and not necessarily monitor, doing your filtering at the router (or pihole device) is probably easiest/cheapiest/most effective. Set up a pihole, enable the DNS filtering for adult websites and you're off to the races. However it's not foolproof; if your kids want to get around it if they're smart/motivated. And without some advanced network setup, you'll be restricted against those sites as well on your own devices.

Another option is to use a pihole, or also OpenDNS family shield (free DNS server).

See here for more details:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comment ... ult_sites/

EDIT: Regarding controlling what they can/do on the machine in general, the easiest way to do this without additonal software is to create a regular 'user' account for your kid, and then use local group policy to further lock down what they can do. Already just having a 'user' account will prevent them from doing things like installing software. And of course, you create an admin account for yourself with a strong password, so that you can do maintaince/install software/etc.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1892 posts
249 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

The router/modem restrictions will work until the laptop gets used away from home. You still need to give yourself administrator access to her computer & make a "user" account for her. This way you can keep her from accidentally crashing Win 10 & the installed software will restrict her internet access regardless of where the laptop is being used. Not promoting Netnanny, it just happens to have the right info.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disa ... windows-10
https://www.netnanny.com/blog/how-to-se ... indows-10/
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5226 posts
1914 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Many of the internet security suites have some type of parental controls... look at Bidtdefender, Kaspersky, etc
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4566 posts
2181 upvotes
Toronto
Have you tried talking to the kid? Probably cheapest and free. I noticed my boys as getting older, they getting smarter and do things behind my back whatever I try to implement.

However, my daughter do only things she is told and asks me before what she wants to do on her computer because she isn't as tech savvy as her sibling. Once I caught her playing game she didn't get permission for, she grumbled and erased it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2002
1073 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the recommendations. I ended up settling on Qustodio. It's very lightweight and I really like the admin interface.
peteryorkuca wrote: Have you tried talking to the kid? Probably cheapest and free.
Of course I'm going to teach her how to appropriately use the computer. I'm not worried that she's going to go searching for inappropriate content, but it's not hard to get in to situations where that type of content makes itself available when you don't want it to. This is just an additional 'safeguard'.