• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2018 12:30 pm
[OP]
Dec 21, 2006
92 posts
21 upvotes
Calgary, AB

Recommendations for replacing an aging Maytag washer

I have a Maytag washer which I got in 2005. Recently it's been super noisy during the spin cycle - after playing the clip below the repair company rep just straight out told me it wouldn't make financial sense to get a service call, pay for time, parts and labour to fix this, rather I should just replace it.

Any recommendations for the best place in Calgary to get a good deal on a washer / dryer? I'd probably stick to Whirlpool or something along these lines; nothing sexy but rather something that will work and last more than a couple of years.

Appreciate your suggestions,

lisior
lisior
Calgary, AB
5 replies
Apr 14, 2006
364 posts
214 upvotes
Looks like one of the later Neptunes. The build quality is actually pretty good in comparison to the stuff out today. The spider arm basket support is insulated from the stainless steel tub to prevent galvanic corrosion. It prevents most of the issues with fractures that are common right now.

Look up Neptune bearing replacement and see if its worth your while. I still see the coin-op version at hotels and older laundromats.
[OP]
Dec 21, 2006
92 posts
21 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Thanks for the feedback, specifics are Model MAH5500BWW Serial B5108149GN
lisior
Calgary, AB
Apr 14, 2006
364 posts
214 upvotes
Everything is on youtube these days.

Do a search for change Neptune bearing and at least half a dozen videos pops up.
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
168 posts
121 upvotes
lisior wrote:
Jun 21st, 2018 5:27 pm
Thanks for the feedback, specifics are Model MAH5500BWW Serial B5108149GN
Definitely recommend repairing vs buying new. These appliances on the market are made to break. We're using a whirlpool 1998 model and I've had a few issues (dogs, switch) but nothing too crazy. These things are built to last.