Sports & Recreation

Recommendations for running headphones/earbuds?

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2013 4:09 am
[OP]
Apr 13, 2004
831 posts
419 upvotes

Recommendations for running headphones/earbuds?

Hey sporty RFD'rs,

I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones/earbuds to wear while I run. My old iPod headphones have breathed their last breath so I'm looking for an upgrade to a higher performing replacement.
Two things I'm looking for:
1. Won't fall out while running!
2. This would be a nice to have but possibly conflicting requirements: Good audio range but still let's in a little outside noise so I can hear what's going on around me and not get smoked by a car or cyclist while running.

Any suggestions, recommendations, or comments on what's worked/not worked for you would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)
Heatware (11-0-0)
Spongeboy
5 replies
Jan 20, 2004
413 posts
84 upvotes
Woodbridge
I must preface that I am not a runner... not sure if this info is helpful to u. Also in-ear-buds tend to block out sound so its kinda dangerous to wear. Maybe check out this iPhone App Awareness!
I have used and recommended to many friends.
MEElectronics M6P
Decent sound quality. I bought them for ~$25 when on sale I think.
- The main selling point is the over the ear loop memory wire. Helps keep the bud in place.
- Cheap enough that after breaking (when i snag on something) I buy more. They usually last me a year. But it depends on how careful you are, everything breaks. I even ripped my Grado SR-60 and SuperFi 5 pro cable.
- Get the M6 if you don't need the microphone and play/pause button
---------------------------------------------------------
I have other ear phone, headphone, IEM. Such as:

Dollarama $3 Koss For $3 I would not mind wearing/using/listening/breaking these. They are very light compared to iGrado. feels much more comfortable than iGrado and Port-a-Pro

Sennheiser CXL400 (short cable with necklace loop design - loved the sound, but the necklace design turned out to be annoying because its easy to get into knots)

Klipsch S5i Rugged - I use daily in my job as I wear a glove and the volume+/- and play/pause button are nice and big. Sound is good. But at ~$70-~$150 its pricey to replace.

Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 Pro (retail over $200) and I broke them after snagging many times, despite the detachable cable.

HEAD-DIRECT RE0 (cost like $90 and I am not a fan, no memory wire.)

iGrado - The sound is nothing special compared to Grado SR-60 (which I also have). The behind the head design is not that great if you lie on a workout bench. And it gets hot having earmuffs on.

Koss Port-a-Pro - painful ergonomics. I pinch myself or accidentally rip out hair due to the folding design. Decent sound, pricey in canada. Sweaty to wear earmuffs.
Jun 18, 2005
376 posts
50 upvotes
If you choose to get an IEM (most of them loop around the ear), I would suggest getting something with detachable wires or good warranty. They tend to crack where it loops around the ear due to sweat, extreme weather we have here in Canada. Luckily a lot of higher end earphone companies have great warranty.

They do stay in your ear better than any other earphones and have great sound but for running they are pretty dangerous esp if you run in a high traffic area (or even walk). Generally I can hear cars but I can not hear cyclists at all. I've had some close calls where I would side step trying to avoid a puddle or dog poop without realizing there's a cyclist coming behind me. I normally just put them on one side whenever I run with them.

You should probably mention your budget.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2004
831 posts
419 upvotes
jayehs wrote: If you choose to get an IEM (most of them loop around the ear), I would suggest getting something with detachable wires or good warranty. They tend to crack where it loops around the ear due to sweat, extreme weather we have here in Canada. Luckily a lot of higher end earphone companies have great warranty.

They do stay in your ear better than any other earphones and have great sound but for running they are pretty dangerous esp if you run in a high traffic area (or even walk). Generally I can hear cars but I can not hear cyclists at all. I've had some close calls where I would side step trying to avoid a puddle or dog poop without realizing there's a cyclist coming behind me. I normally just put them on one side whenever I run with them.

You should probably mention your budget.
Good points, and thanks to everyone else who has provided input.
Yeah, I agree, something that would let in some ambient noise would be ideal from a safety point of view. I would put my budget at around max $75 but ideally less.
Heatware (11-0-0)
Spongeboy