Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1229 posts
425 upvotes
Toronto

Recommendations: Venice for a day

Spending one night in Venice this August. We will arrive early morning so we have the whole day to roam around. Any sightseeing recommendations (or even excursions)?
Home Phone: $0 since 2016 - Obi200/FPL with Google Voice (free call Can/US)
6 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10399 upvotes
Ottawa
I would just do a walkabout. From the train station to Piazza San Marco will take some time and once at San Marco, take the time to see the Doges Palace and of course, St Mark's Basilica. There is something to see around every corner ....and there are many corners LOL. By the way, the street sighs are up high so, look up if you want to know where you are or where to go.
After that, continue the walkabout through Piazza San Marco towards the East, it takes you through the expensive hotel and shops area :)
I also recommend a vaporetto day pass, that way you can take the water bus (number 2 if I remember correctly) on the Grand Canal and around the city and even out towards Murano and Burano. The City from the water is a great trip.
And after that, your day is done. :)
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10282 posts
2879 upvotes
we just booked villa lina, while I have never been there, it looks awesome, its across the water from venice, but its only a 5 minute boat ride, check it out.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10282 posts
2879 upvotes
sorry I thought you were looking for a place to stay, ignore my comment if you already have a place to stay.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10399 upvotes
Ottawa
rocking23nf wrote: we just booked villa lina, while I have never been there, it looks awesome, its across the water from venice, but its only a 5 minute boat ride, check it out.
Vila Lina on Murano? It means getting off at Santa Lucia Station and then getting on the vaporetto (water bus) or water taxi out to Murano island. You will need a vapretto pass for the entire time you spend there.
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Feb 5th, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10282 posts
2879 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Vila Lina on Murano? It means getting off at Santa Lucia Station and then getting on the vaporetto (water bus) or water taxi out to Murano island.
yes that's the one, we are flying into venice, so I understand we can take a water bus from the airport to Murano, we are then staying for 3 days and taking the train to Florance, 3 days there, and then train to Rome, 3 days there and fly back home.

it has great reviews ( villa lina) and I think it would be nice to have a quitter spot in the evenings away from the busy Venice area.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10399 upvotes
Ottawa
rocking23nf wrote: yes that's the one, we are flying into venice, so I understand we can take a water bus from the airport to Murano, we are then staying for 3 days and taking the train to Florance, 3 days there, and then train to Rome, 3 days there and fly back home.

it has great reviews ( villa lina) and I think it would be nice to have a quitter spot in the evenings away from the busy Venice area.
You will need 5 euros per ride or, 20 eurs per day pass, or 60 euros for 7 day pass . https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/ar ... tables.htm

Venice during the evening is a completely different city. When the day trippers are gone, the entire city goes into a relax mode. It is very quiet, much more like a small community. People leisurely wandering the streets, the trattorias become social centers and it is just a great way to meet people.
If I was you, I would stay in Venice proper as opposed to a 15 minute water bus ride away. :)