None
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10563 posts
2946 upvotes
Newmarket

Recommended MFT Wrist Strap / City Walkaround Bag

Hi All,

Just picked up an E-M5 Mark II. Looking for ideas on wrist or hand straps? Hoping to not having something that'll dig into my wrist should I leave the camera dangling.

I've seen Joby, Gordy's, Peak Design, Barton Braidy. What are you all using / recommend?

From a bag standpoint, what are you guys using for city walk around bags? I currently have the camera, and the Panaleica 17 1.7. I'll probably end up with one more lens in the near future. Right now I grabbed the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20, but it seems a tad larger than I'd want; however, the Mirrorless Mover 10 seems cramped once I put the camera w/ the 17 mounted on it in the bag.

Thanks
RFD Forums Moderator
22 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14608 posts
8635 upvotes
Southern Ontario
If I had an MFT/ILMC, I'd jump on this light version on kickstarter which is commonly a lower price than the full production model, and if there's any defects, they'll send you another one http://spiderholster.com/kickstarter

I use the regular one on my Canons and I can't imagine not using them spiderpro-hand-strap-anyone-pre-order-1643153/

(edit on the last post in that year old thread, I would pay for it, and I pair it with a Spider Holster clone off eBay now... not sure if they've cloned the strap too these days, lol)

Reviews http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... _hand.html
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3596 posts
292 upvotes
Toronto
Using Gordy on my xt1. It's really nice and gets better over time as the leather soften.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1443 posts
385 upvotes
Bedford
I just picked up the Peak Design Cuff this week.

https://www.peakdesign.com/product/straps/cuff/

The strap itself is great. Doesn't dig into your hands at all. I also picked up their slide strap, primarily to use with a Nikon D7100 and 70-200 lens.

https://www.peakdesign.com/product/straps/slide/

I was thinking about using the cuff secured around my waist belt to carry a small second body , probably a D3200 with 35mm prime. I think it might work better than their capture system for the type of events I shot. This would give me the option of using two bodys when required, without getting into a double strap system.

The nice thing about the system is that you install the fasteners on your contact points ( strap hooks, tripod mounts ), and snap in whatever strap/sling you want. I was out shooting this weekend and had a numbers of photographers ask about it. Build quality is very good. I purchased from their website, order was shipped from Toronto and delivered in maybe 3 days all told.
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10162 posts
461 upvotes
Toronto
Welcome to the m43 family.... Any eBay handstrap will do to be honest I have 3 of them... Fav is the braided one, also a fan of the rapid shoulder strap
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10563 posts
2946 upvotes
Newmarket
I went into a Henry's today, the Joby strapped looked soft enough. Couldn't try it though on as it is strapped to the packaging.

On a side note, I grabbed the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20 bag. I would have grabbed the 10, but it could only hold the body w/ my 17 1.7 lens mounted, and maybe a couple small accessories. The 20 is a quite a bit larger, but nothing really in between the two (a "15" would have been perfect).

Because I got the bag, I'm now debating between the wrist strap or a hand strap now.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7703 posts
1388 upvotes
Toronto
baillieul wrote: I just picked up the Peak Design Cuff this week.

https://www.peakdesign.com/product/straps/cuff/

The strap itself is great. Doesn't dig into your hands at all. I also picked up their slide strap, primarily to use with a Nikon D7100 and 70-200 lens.

https://www.peakdesign.com/product/straps/slide/

I was thinking about using the cuff secured around my waist belt to carry a small second body , probably a D3200 with 35mm prime. I think it might work better than their capture system for the type of events I shot. This would give me the option of using two bodys when required, without getting into a double strap system.

The nice thing about the system is that you install the fasteners on your contact points ( strap hooks, tripod mounts ), and snap in whatever strap/sling you want. I was out shooting this weekend and had a numbers of photographers ask about it. Build quality is very good. I purchased from their website, order was shipped from Toronto and delivered in maybe 3 days all told.
+1

Been using the peak design ones for a few years now. Soft, non abrasive, long lasting. Well worth the money. I believe Henrys sells them as well, or by directly from them.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14608 posts
8635 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Photogear.com, a division of 123inkcartridges sells Peak and they have periodic % coupon codes, sign up to have them delivered.
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10563 posts
2946 upvotes
Newmarket
I modified my OP to include questions about bags too.

So what is everyone using for city walk around usage? As mentioned in the OP, I have the Panaleica 1.7 right now, and may grab one more lens in the near future. The Mirrorless Mover 20 is a tad larger, but definitely fits everything I'd ever need. The Mirrorless Mover 10 seems a bit cramped when putting my camera with the 17 mounted on it in the bag. If only they make a "15" model of the bag.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3596 posts
292 upvotes
Toronto
WorldIRC wrote: I modified my OP to include questions about bags too.

So what is everyone using for city walk around usage? As mentioned in the OP, I have the Panaleica 1.7 right now, and may grab one more lens in the near future. The Mirrorless Mover 20 is a tad larger, but definitely fits everything I'd ever need. The Mirrorless Mover 10 seems a bit cramped when putting my camera with the 17 mounted on it in the bag. If only they make a "15" model of the bag.
i use a domke f802 with a tenba byob 9. i mostly carry my xt1/23mm and some accessories/personal stuff. i have a separate ebay lense bag for my 18-55 (which mostly stays at home). i use inserts because sometimes i switch bags and this allows me to use any bag as needed (i.e. backpack or messenger bag)
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10162 posts
461 upvotes
Toronto
iHateShaw wrote: Which braided one do you use? Something like this? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Luxurious-Strong ... SwQTVV8GSa
Yep something like that.. Not glossy though

Bag I use the lowepro passport sling... Looks like a diaper bag lol but waterproof, fits water, umbrella, 2 camera bodies, iPad mini and 4-5 lens but cheap

When travelling i walkaround with
Panny 15
Panny 35-100 f2.8
Panny 7-14
Panny 45 f1.7

Sometimes that's too heavy so i go 15 and 35-100 with 1 camera
Mk2 and gm5
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14608 posts
8635 upvotes
Southern Ontario
For walkaround, I love Ona bags, a bit too rich though. Costco online has Tenba 11 if you like their return policy. A DNA 8 might be more appropriate for smaller systems. You can also size out small wide messenger bags and buy inserts off eBay. I converted a designer bag I bought off kijiji that way. I also have a Vanguard Havana bag when casual.

I prefer messenger bags when walking that I can reach into vs backpacks I have to spin around or take off to reach my gear. Those are typically Lowepros I take on vacation.

Whatever type, one that is repellent or with a rain cover is a good idea.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1864 posts
860 upvotes
Scarborough
i use the original Olympus grip strap for my EM-5 with the vertical grip and feels good.

during my last trip i bought and used the Black Rapid Sports strap and find it useful and very convenient and the camera did not get in the way while walking about.
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10563 posts
2946 upvotes
Newmarket
I think I may give the Peak Design Cuff a try this week as I'll be doing lots of walking around on my trip. It seems to be quite comfy, and the "quick release" system looks to be handy should I ever want to grab a different strap from Peak Design.

That is...unless there are other suggestions?
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1443 posts
385 upvotes
Bedford
WorldIRC wrote: I think I may give the Peak Design Cuff a try this week as I'll be doing lots of walking around on my trip. It seems to be quite comfy, and the "quick release" system looks to be handy should I ever want to grab a different strap from Peak Design.

That is...unless there are other suggestions?
My Cuff has been working out well for me. I use a Lowepro sling bag when I want to take a couple primes, and the Cuff strap. Nice combo. I really just order it to top off my order to get free shipping, but I am using it more than the sling ( not that I don't like the sling ).
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10563 posts
2946 upvotes
Newmarket
Cuff feels too long for me, probably due to my small wrists. Phone is just dangling all over. Looking closer at pics, they may all be the same and something I simply get used to.

Edit: I think I got the hang of it now. Just have to grab the strap properly while walking, and the camera won't swing all over the place.
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10563 posts
2946 upvotes
Newmarket
I also ordered the Spider Black Widow holster. I know there are aftermarket ones available, but I'd rather not chance it in terms of durability & reliability.
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
Sep 27, 2003
10563 posts
2946 upvotes
Newmarket
I wish the Mirrorless Mover 20 bag came with more than just 2 dividers. Anywhere locally I can purchase more? I don't see much listed online at Henry's or Vistek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC1CBNSB6rE

That video shows how someone basically custom-rigged their MM 20 to hold more.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1881 posts
534 upvotes
North York
Think Tank has great customer service. I lost a few dividers for a TT Airport Security on a set so I emailed them to request to buy some and they sent me a whole pack of extra dividers from their warehouse in the US for free.