None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1233 posts
618 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

Recommended Needed: Garage to service Audi

With Precision Tuning in Vaughan closed until Sept 3rd, need a new place to take my Audi Q5 to fix a noise issue which I suspect is my front wheel bearring (4 yrs old with 90k). Probably need to get both replaced as this seems to be an issue with the vehicle from what I read online.

Appreciate your recommendations.
9 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1233 posts
618 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
One place I called quote me $150 for parts (both front bearings) but 5 hrs of labour which comes out to $860. Is this really a 5hr job?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4196 posts
4381 upvotes
ZxExN wrote: One place I called quote me $150 for parts (both front bearings) but 5 hrs of labour which comes out to $860. Is this really a 5hr job?
Unless I am mistaken, labour times are set by the Ministry or whatever Government regulatory body sets it at. Labour rate is specific to shop, but labour time is 'mandated'.

I'm happy to be corrected but that is why when I ask around for repair times for whatever I need repaired the labour time is always within .1 or so of an hour of each other.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1233 posts
618 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Since the kit which includes an entire hub assembly costs the same as the wheel bearings only, would it be an easier and quicker job or the shop to replace the entire hub assembly?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3646 posts
1189 upvotes
Edmonton
Or do it yourself. One evening job, and you saved $500+ then you can take a small vacation with that money
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29411 posts
9996 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote: Unless I am mistaken, labour times are set by the Ministry or whatever Government regulatory body sets it at. Labour rate is specific to shop, but labour time is 'mandated'.
Book rate for various jobs is set by Mitchell, not the government. Mitchell is the widely accepted manual for the number of hours each job takes on each make/model of car. The trick about charging the book rate is that mechanics that can do a job quicker than the book rate will net $$$ from the customer compared to the actual hours of work put in. However it cuts both ways. Some jobs may say they take a certain # of hours but may actually take longer in reality, especially with stuff that's rusted on/seized and has to have extra time taken in order to remove such fasteners or parts.

https://mitchell1.com/prodemand/estimating/
Jun 13, 2006
603 posts
32 upvotes
Vaughan
Check out Hi Standard Tire and Auto, they specialize in euro cars.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4196 posts
4381 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Book rate for various jobs is set by Mitchell, not the government. Mitchell is the widely accepted manual for the number of hours each job takes on each make/model of car. The trick about charging the book rate is that mechanics that can do a job quicker than the book rate will net $$$ from the customer compared to the actual hours of work put in. However it cuts both ways. Some jobs may say they take a certain # of hours but may actually take longer in reality, especially with stuff that's rusted on/seized and has to have extra time taken in order to remove such fasteners or parts.

https://mitchell1.com/prodemand/estimating/
Thank you @ES_Revenge. I much appreciate the correction here. I figured some regulatory body was involved but didn't know it was an organization other than the government!
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1233 posts
618 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Just an update. It was the front driver wheel bearing that was causing the humming noise at speeds above 50kph. I ended up just waiting for precision tuning to do it because the other garages in my area simply did not have my full confidence - they had messed up other simply jobs. Cost ended up being slightly under $400 for one side and took about 2hrs using FAG parts (I didn't wait around so this timing may be off). Did not do both side as I was advised that it was not necessary; they don't go symmetrically - dmg due mostly to forces place on it such as potholes and other bumps. The local garages recommended both be replaced.