Home & Garden

Recommended places to buy bed mattresses?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2021 2:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1760 posts
3340 upvotes
Toronto

Recommended places to buy bed mattresses?

I'm moving soon, and plan to take this opportunity to replace my current bed. It's 10 years old, and causing us some back issues.

I also would like to upgrade my kids to twin mattresses, as both are starting to outgrow their toddler mattresses.

I know we've been buying everything online for the past while, but mattresses seem hard to buy without trying. But if places have good return policies, it may be worth trying. Also stores are supposed to be opening up again on Friday (here in Ontario), so maybe I will be able to try...

Where does everyone recommend buying new mattresses? And how were your experiences?
5 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1760 posts
3340 upvotes
Toronto
My first go-to thoughts would be an online bed in a box. I see there's another lengthy thread on that. Or Costco. If ordered online, and delivered. How do returns work? Will they pickup the return? I can't exactly tell from reading the mattress' delivery and returns section.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11515 posts
3231 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I would go with Costco, I have bought many mattresses from them over the past few years and have returned 2 of them without any issues.

As for which mattress you will need to find out if they like Soft or firm mattresses and then look in those categories. If sleep country or something similar opens up soon you can go test a few to figure out the time you like and buy from costco.
Aug 30, 2009
241 posts
62 upvotes
You can try at sleep country when they open. Just don't buy from there. They make it sound like they offer a hassle free return but it's very deceptive. If you buy and it's no good, you only get to swap once with another product they sell and you pay for the delivery swap. Depending on which sales person you end up talking to, they may or may not let you swap for something of lesser value, swap for a mattress of a smaller size, and they definitely won't take it back for credit for a future purchase.

I tried a bloom and it was too firm and I was moving but since stores were closed I couldn't go in and try something that might be softer. They wouldn't take the mattress back and let me buy something after I moved when stores where opened. All four sales reps I spoke with were unhelpful with a bad too for you attitude.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1760 posts
3340 upvotes
Toronto
speedrun wrote: You can try at sleep country when they open. Just don't buy from there. They make it sound like they offer a hassle free return but it's very deceptive. If you buy and it's no good, you only get to swap once with another product they sell and you pay for the delivery swap. Depending on which sales person you end up talking to, they may or may not let you swap for something of lesser value, swap for a mattress of a smaller size, and they definitely won't take it back for credit for a future purchase.

I tried a bloom and it was too firm and I was moving but since stores were closed I couldn't go in and try something that might be softer. They wouldn't take the mattress back and let me buy something after I moved when stores where opened. All four sales reps I spoke with were unhelpful with a bad too for you attitude.
Thanks for the personal experience. There just seems to be so many bad experiences at Sleep Country. But, they are the most prominent (in my opinion) place to buy a bed. But based on stories like yours, I haven't really been considering them.

As @sickcars mentioned, there seems to be mostly good reviews from Costco. I try not to blindly default to Costco for big purchases, even though odds are that it wouldn't be a bad choice.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1666 posts
837 upvotes
Bed in a box companies offer sleep trials of up to 120 nights. They deliver it to your door and pick it up as well.

No idea why you havent gone this route? Hell you could buy 5 mattresses with the same policy and sleep on them a week at a time until you arrive at the one you prefer.

Im on my 2nd mattress trial. What's a store going to offer you, like 30mins of daydreaming inside the store + they keep your money if it doesnt work out ?