Recommended work light to work on cars?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2020 11:23 pm
[OP]
May 28, 2016
145 posts
20 upvotes

Recommended work light to work on cars?

My trusty harbor freight imported light broke today. I picked it up when I visited and it has been truly amazing for it's price, think it was around ~ 30$CDN it costed me with coupons.

So now, I'd like to get a new work light but I'm not sure what to go for here. The closest to the that one I can see is available in Canada is the Astro Pneumatic and while a good brand (I think) they are pretty expensive around 100$.

Any recommendations?
15 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19432 posts
22541 upvotes
GTA
I like to use a headlamp on my head when I'm working on the car, that way the light is always where I need it. They can be had for $10-20 online. I like the ones that use 18650 batteries, as I have tons of them from old laptop and power tool batteries.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
May 28, 2016
145 posts
20 upvotes
engineered wrote: I like to use a headlamp on my head when I'm working on the car, that way the light is always where I need it. They can be had for $10-20 online. I like the ones that use 18650 batteries, as I have tons of them from old laptop and power tool batteries.
I have personally tried them and frankly hate them. Much prefer a light that I can stick somewhere magnetically BUT it needs to be adjustable like a lot so that I can get the light where I want it.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2587 posts
1491 upvotes
Ontario
If you liked that one, buy another.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33175 posts
14972 upvotes
IcarusLSC wrote: If you liked that one, buy another.
Can't get to US right now so not possible. However there are definitely similar ones sold online, though after shipping and all that stuff not going to be nearly as cheap as HF. But, might work out okay if you're buying other stuff anyway and it doesn't really add anything to the shipping cost.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1310 posts
1173 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Go to Canadian Tire, get the rechargeable Motomaster Eliminator LED light sticks. There's a small and a big one. They sometimes go on sale. It has magnets on its base so you can stick it anywhere under the hood/car. Also headlamps.
[OP]
May 28, 2016
145 posts
20 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Can't get to US right now so not possible. However there are definitely similar ones sold online, though after shipping and all that stuff not going to be nearly as cheap as HF. But, might work out okay if you're buying other stuff anyway and it doesn't really add anything to the shipping cost.
At this point I'm down to pay more for one that will last twice as much, just not to sure what my options are. All I know is astro pneumatic. I don't want get a shitty canadian tire light either... also didn't mention at first but if it takes 18650 battery cells that's perfect because I have a few I bought for the light that broke.
Last edited by Guy2016 on Jul 28th, 2020 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
May 28, 2016
145 posts
20 upvotes
tehwegz wrote: Go to Canadian Tire, get the rechargeable Motomaster Eliminator LED light sticks. There's a small and a big one. They sometimes go on sale. It has magnets on its base so you can stick it anywhere under the hood/car. Also headlamps.
I found this one which seems to be similar to the current one I had. But batteries are not rechargeable... Ijust purcahsed a extra 18650 for my Braun and now it breaks lol. Would be nice to find another light that uses the same type of battery actually.

Now I think though you might be talking about this and this? Those are terrible, I have one already before buying the braun one and without the folding action it's just so useless under the car and even from the top sometimes.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33175 posts
14972 upvotes
Guy2016 wrote: At this point I'm down to pay more for one that will last twice as much, just not to sure what my options are. All I know is astro pneumatic. I don't want get a shitty canadian tire light either... also didn't mention at first but if it takes 18650 battery cells that's perfect because I have a few I bought for the light that broke.
Oh yeah I know it takes 18650--I have one ;) Great little light when you buy it on sale and w/coupons at HF. Didn't think it was so easy to break though, will try to be careful with mine. I also have the smaller one that takes AAAs and the "tactical" flashlight--all from HF--and for the price the quality and performance seems pretty excellent.

Stick type lights like this can be found as you can see in that Amazon link--price is not bad either. After that there's the long light tubes that can go underhood or along the roof of the car interior which secure on the ends. However these lights are much more expensive at $100+ but those are more area lights that spot lights.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2587 posts
1491 upvotes
Ontario
https://www.amazon.ca/Rechargeable-Mult ... 334S47Y872

^ Does this one have a replaceable 16850?

That first Modoao one that Fraser River Rat listed I have and its decent brightness but fragile. I have bought two and already broken one and cracked the other as they are super thin plastic.

The one mrmccowcow listed above looks like it might be an inexpensive alternative too like your original...
·Ï¢årµ§·
[OP]
May 28, 2016
145 posts
20 upvotes
IcarusLSC wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/Rechargeable-Mult ... 334S47Y872

^ Does this one have a replaceable 16850?

That first Modoao one that Fraser River Rat listed I have and its decent brightness but fragile. I have bought two and already broken one and cracked the other as they are super thin plastic.

The one mrmccowcow listed above looks like it might be an inexpensive alternative too like your original...
Just asked a question about that one you linked and they replied on Amazon no...

But I agree, the one mrmccowcow shared is exactly perfect. Gonna have to make a trip to PA!