None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22217 posts
167621 upvotes
GTA

Recording at Concerts?

Adele called out someone for recording her concert (I suppose the person had a tripod with a camera setup and that's why she was singled out, although I realize the irony of the situation in that we have a video of her saying this).

[video]https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/737040392768638980[/video]

What do you think about recording at concerts? I find them less enjoyable now because in the age of smartphones with decent cameras and 128GB+ of storage, everyone is just concerned about recording (and I am talking about recording entire songs/performances), so you are just staring at/distracted by the array of screens around you rather than the artist's performance. I am not against photography/videography at concerts, but get your selfie or Instagram video quickly done and then put your phone away so that everyone can enjoy the show.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6631 posts
2740 upvotes
Canada
I've never understood the need for people to live their lives through a "viewfinder".

You're right, a few snap shots or a quick clip from an event for the memory is fine, but to sit there and pay for a concert and watch the entire thing peering in to your phone is stupid.

But I guess you need something to post on your facebook page to try and 1-up the rest of your narcistic friends.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2200 posts
823 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
raspeed wrote: I've never understood the need for people to live their lives through a "viewfinder".

You're right, a few snap shots or a quick clip from an event for the memory is fine, but to sit there and pay for a concert and watch the entire thing peering in to your phone is stupid.

But I guess you need something to post on your facebook page to try and 1-up the rest of your narcistic friends.
For awhile it was pretty bad at weddings too. People would rather experience the live event through a screen than to live in it these days. It's sad what's happened to society...
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18853 posts
2127 upvotes
I was at a Maroon 5 concert last year and at one point Adam Levine ask everyone to put stop recording with phones just for one song. He did pause to pick up a screenless GoPro from a concert-goer exclaiming how small it is and said that cameras are fine, just not phones while joking nobody at the concert is carrying a camera.

Personally, phone/camera screens recording at a concert is distracting. I prefer to enjoy the concert though with that said I have used a small action cam with no screen and point in the general direction for a song or 2. Doesn't distract me or anyone else.

There are some good recordings online though.
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBootTube
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9509 posts
2070 upvotes
Somewhere
how else wood my facebook friends know how great my lyfe is cuz i go to sold out concerts????????
:confused:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
7158 posts
5871 upvotes
I don't know who these narcissistic "celebrities" think they are for trying to command people to pay attention to them, when people already paid a fortune for the "privilege" to listen to their "performances".

I don't ever willingly listen to any celebrity because I can't bear their overblown egos.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
Have to say, going to princes concert last year with a no camera policy that at least on the lower level was enforced with an iron fist, you were kicked out, was amazing. Wonderful not to see all the stupid phones. Yes a photo or two. Fine. But please people. You are getting pathetic.
Left rfd
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18853 posts
2127 upvotes
mkjr wrote: Have to say, going to princes concert last year with a no camera policy that at least on the lower level was enforced with an iron fist, you were kicked out, was amazing. Wonderful not to see all the stupid phones. Yes a photo or two. Fine. But please people. You are getting pathetic.
It's nice to be at a concert without a load of glowing screens.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6631 posts
2740 upvotes
Canada
Poutinesauce wrote: I don't know who these narcissistic "celebrities" think they are for trying to command people to pay attention to them, when people already paid a fortune for the "privilege" to listen to their "performances".

I don't ever willingly listen to any celebrity because I can't bear their overblown egos.
The last time I went to a concert was Helix, when I was 12 ... and I think I got second-hand high.

Gimme an 'R !!!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
338 upvotes
In another world
I've been to concerts were people film with iPads!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9331 posts
1368 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Well as far as the legality of it, depends. I've been to a Muse concert where the overhead announcer literally said "we invite you to record and share the concert!".

Personally, I've only ever taken a snippet (usually of my favorite song) and it's more to me as a memory keepsake (I don't share it on social media) similar to a photo or souvenir.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14931 posts
4361 upvotes
Montréal
I dunno why ppl do this for any lengthy duration; like ppl said, a short capture to show you're there/for keepsake is cool. There is bound to be some foolish person that recorded the whole thing one can easily find online, so let someone else do the gruntwork and just enjoy the concert I*R*L.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2200 posts
823 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
tranquility922 wrote: I dunno why ppl do this for any lengthy duration; like ppl said, a short capture to show you're there/for keepsake is cool. There is bound to be some foolish person that recorded the whole thing one can easily find online, so let someone else do the gruntwork and just enjoy the concert I*R*L.
I*R*L?

I asterisk R asterisk L? What? :facepalm:
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14931 posts
4361 upvotes
Montréal
JKKim2983 wrote: I*R*L?

I asterisk R asterisk L? What? :facepalm:
In *Real* Life, as in emphasis on REAL, as opposed to virtual. Get w/ the prg.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2200 posts
823 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
tranquility922 wrote: In *Real* Life, as in emphasis on REAL, as opposed to virtual. Get w/ the prg.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Speak proper English and maybe people will understand what you're trying to say. :)
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14931 posts
4361 upvotes
Montréal
JKKim2983 wrote: Speak proper English and maybe people will understand what you're trying to say. :)
It is proper English in terms of std internet lingo unless you live under a rock. Anyway, is that how you 'talk' IRL, so rude w/ the facepalm, vs a simple inquiry that would've sufficed.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: It is proper English in terms of std internet lingo unless you live under a rock. Anyway, is that how you 'talk' IRL, so rude w/ the facepalm, vs a simple inquiry that would've sufficed.
I can just see it now... as the online world encroaches more and more into real world behaviour, we will have news anchors acting out emojis and spewing out hashtags. Coworkers will have a conversation by miming emoji faces at each other. One does a facepalm, the other responds by rolling their eyes, then a third person will walk by and say "this plus one"
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6631 posts
2740 upvotes
Canada
tranquility922 wrote: It is proper English in terms of std internet lingo unless you live under a rock. Anyway, is that how you 'talk' IRL, so rude w/ the facepalm, vs a simple inquiry that would've sufficed.
He might call you a young whippersnapper if you keep it up!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18658 posts
2382 upvotes
Woodbridge
iEyeCaptain wrote: how else wood my facebook friends know how great my lyfe is cuz i go to sold out concerts????????
+1

Pretty much. LOL

It's sad, the need to be "liked" or whatever these social medias use.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)